Spitfire XII

hi

This is my first attempt at posting photos, It's the Xtrakit Spitfire XII in the markings of 595 Sqn an AA Co-operation unit in 1945, two of my refs show the code as 'N' and one later found show it as 'Y'. Scheme is taken from the orders at the time, just wanted a different scheme. Next one will be in the (best guess)markings of the Fighter Leader School at RAF Millfield as part of my interest in north east based aircraft.

Gary

Photo052.jpg

• Like 3

Spitfire XII in the markings of 595 Sqn an AA Co-operation unit in 1945, two of my refs show the code as 'N' and one later found show it as 'Y'. Scheme is taken from the orders at the time, just wanted a different scheme.

Very interesting. Can you take us through the evidence that led you to the scheme? I am not wanting to nit-pick - I am a great believer is exploring the art of the possible, and my own 1/48 Spitfire 12 is in a fictional scheme so I am certainly not throwing stones - but I would love to know how much of this is documentary evidence and how much is "reasonable supposition".

"Can you take us through the evidence that led you to the scheme?"

Evidence..., EVIDENCE !!!!!....we don't need no STINKING EVIDENCE>>!@ :analintruder:

[ with apologies to Headly Lamar ]

Regards,

ggc

Edited by CPNGROATS

Very interesting. Can you take us through the evidence that led you to the scheme? I am not wanting to nit-pick - I am a great believer is exploring the art of the possible, and my own 1/48 Spitfire 12 is in a fictional scheme so I am certainly not throwing stones - but I would love to know how much of this is documentary evidence and how much is "reasonable supposition".

the scheme is from British Aviation Colours of world war two which has in it a copy of Air publication 2656a Vol.1 section 6 para 49 which states that the aircraft should be camouflaged dark green and dark earth

to pattern no2 which is a high demarcation with night undersides, spinners dark earth or dark green and dull red codes.

7B is the code for 595 sqn and two references list MB804 as code N and one ref as code Y.

If anyone has a picture I'd love to see it, but it's the best guess as I would expect a second line unit well away from the action in Wales to give it a full repaint.

:thumbsup:

cheers Gary

Edited by Lazlo Woodbine

From what I read only 100 were built. No 91 (Nigeria) Squadron were stationed at King’s Cliffe with Mk.XII Spitfires briefly from 9th May 1943 to 5th July 1943 and the only other squadron equipped with the Mk.XII was No.41 Squadron.

Nice scheme! Always good to see something different :speak_cool:

Thought you might like to see some other info:

Source: Official R.A.F website.

No.595 Squadron was formed on 1 December 1943 at Aberporth, from Nos.1607, 1608 and 1609 Flights, for anti-aircraft co-operation duties in Wales. Various detachment flew Martinets, Henleys, Hurricanes and Oxfords, but at the end of 1944, Spitfires and Vengances also went into service. After the end of the war, the squadron remained in being after most of the other AAC units were disbanded. Flying Spitfires, Martinets and Oxfords, the squadron received Vampires for high-speed co-operation in December 1946, and No.595 operated from South Wales until renumbered No.5 Squadron on 11 February 1949.

Source: Coastal, Support and Special Squadrons of the RAF and their Aircraft. Jane's Publishing Company Ltd, 1982

595 Sq From December 1944 until July 1945 flying Supermarine Spitfire Mk.XII. Assigned code 7B.

From 1 December 1943 until 27 April 1946 main hub RAF Aberporth, Ceredigion. However, detachments at RAF Manorbier, Pembrokeshire; RAF Fairwood Common, Gower; RAF Poulton, Cheshire; RAF Wrexham, Wrexham and RAF Brawdy, Pembrokeshire.

Edited by Danuleson

Wow!!!!

We've holidayed at Aberporth for many years,so this is a superb and interesting find for me.

The only information I've ever found for a Spit operating out of Blaennenerch(Aberporth,now West Wales Airport)is

slipper tank drop tests flown by none other than Alex Henshaw.

AFAIK,the heaviest aircraft(prior to the runway extension)to fly in and out of Blaennenerch was a Hawker Typhoon.

I have a Hurri,Martinet and Oxford in me stash,so shall be certainly looking into doing one of 595's

Aberporth based types.

The Cardigan Bay Range Complex is still used,latterly by the Llanbedr drones as targets for RAE Aberporth

(search for my Drone build),but now the targets are launched from the missile bays

on Aberporth Head before missile firings commence.

I must say that a Spit looks very striking in Bomber colours.

Many thanks.

Mark