11 hours ago, Martian said:

In goes the Elsan or whatever the American equivalent is.

One of those clever Japanese toilets would be nice, if we have a choice? Just saying...

• Haha 5

On 4/1/2024 at 5:21 PM, Martian said:

It's somewhere on the lower deck. I haven't yet worked out exactly where so I don't yet know if it is in one of the areas I plan on modelling,

Martina 👽

Martina ?? Really ??

Did you loose one tentacle ??

Or is this a part of a Martian body evolution ??

Periodical gender mutation ?? Like snails ??

Ooooh .... My brain hurt....

Troubled CC

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Obviously WIBBLE !!

Don't forget the rack with King and country reviews....:whistle:

Yup it work fine with dutch peoples too.....:cheers:

Did I read somewhere that it would have been a OOB build ??

The call of the Elsan was too strong for a Martian to resist....:rofl2:

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, general melchett said:

Something to do with three seashells...

Ah the great mystery of the 3 seashells....:worry:

And you also have the wallbot that fined you when cursing ?? :rofl2:

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

One of those clever Japanese toilets would be nice, if we have a choice? Just saying...

Only if it talks to me while I'm... busy... It gets lonely in there.

As to the three sea shells, Stallone explained it,

OK, this may be bordering on the grotesque, but the way it was explained to me by the writer is you hold two seashells like chopsticks, pull gently and scrape what’s left with the third. You asked for it…. Be careful what you ask for, sorry.

:laugh:

• Haha 6

For those who like lots of white styrene with your models, then today is you lucky day, and, for the majority who voted Wibble for the toilet, then your bowl, WC or otherwise, runneth over. :toilet: I have been busy adding detail to the faces of the bulkheads and, most importantly, constructed the partition for that all important bog. I am also a lot more happy with the appearance of the structure now that the stringers have started going into the hull. Next up will be to finish the basic structure of the internals and thence to tackling what promises to be a somewhat fiendish job in sorting out the bow compartment.

023.jpg

024.jpg

025.jpg

026.jpg

027.jpg

Things may be a bit slow this week as pandemonium reigns here at Martian Towers, @general melchett will no doubt argue, and with some justification, that this is situation normal but with only a week to go to get the improved Zeppelin display ready for next weekend, things are really getting frantic. :frantic:

In other news, my second Mariner kit has arrived which means that I can now have my big, blue transport flying boat as well as the Dutch boat in overall silver which will keep Mrs Martian happy.

Finally, and in an almost certainly futile attempt to promote serious academic debate in one of my threads: there is a porthole which forms part of the hatch for assisting with the attachment and removal of beaching gear on the dedicated flying boat versions of the Mariner (there is a similar hatch opposite). This hatch is directly behind the thunderbox. Can anyone suggest its purpose? I await your carefully considered suggestions.

Thanks for looking.

Deluded of Mars 👽

• Like 26

This little gem is coming along rather smartly Martian. An abounding plethora of white plastic sheet and rod. You're giving me all kinds of ideas for an old Combat Models Mariner I have in the stash. Where would  I put it you ask? That Sir is a question for another time.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

Where would  I put it you ask? 

I am sure someone will be along with a suitable suggestion soner rather than later!

Martian 👽

• Haha 7

4 hours ago, Martian said:

This hatch is directly behind the thunderbox. Can anyone suggest its purpose?

The purpose of the hatch, or the thunderbox? You already mentioned that the hatch was for beaching gear....

Was it on all versions, or just the bog standard one?

Ian

PS Love all the white bits, it's really looking good!

• Haha 5

This hatch is directly behind the thunderbox. Can anyone suggest its purpose? I await your carefully considered suggestions.

Well, I could but it's a little early in the day for that sort of thing. Alternatively, I know it's wild but could the porthole be for looking out of?

for the majority who voted Wobble for the toilet, then your bowl, WC or otherwise, runneth over. 

Never wobble on the toilet, runnething over will be the least of your problems...

Good luck with the pandemonium old fruit.

Edited by general melchett
  • Haha 6

25 minutes ago, general melchett said:

Well, I could but it's a little early in the day for that sort of thing. Alternatively, I know it's wild but could the porthole be for looking out of?

Never wobble on the toilet, runnething over will be the least of your problems...

Good luck with the pandemonium old fruit.

It was the hatch itself I was wondering about. Doubtless a few scatological suggestions will be forth coming in due course.

8 hours ago, Brandy said:

The purpose of the hatch, or the thunderbox? You already mentioned that the hatch was for beaching gear....

Was it on all versions, or just the bog standard one?

Ian

PS Love all the white bits, it's really looking good!

Thanks Brandy. The hatch was on all versions.

Edit: I do have a coupe of serious questions for those more knowledgeable about Mariners than myself. Does anyone have a picture of the anchor and winch in the stowed position on the Mariner? The Naval Fighters book only has a drawing which is defying all of my efforts to figure out, mostly due to the lack of a background. I now have two big books on the type and cannot find a single picture of the anchor in its stowed position. I guess if all else fails, I can just not bother with the anchor and winch but we all know that that is not really my style. I know, I should never have opened the bow hatch in the first place but we all know that that is very mush my style! 

The other question is that it says in the Naval Fighters book that the Mariner could be fitted with overload fuel tanks in the weapons bay. I think that this would be quite a cool feature to portray on the utility version. Once again, does anyone know what this installation looked like?

Curious of Mars 👽

• Like 4

The porthole was there because someone ordered six dozen pairs of curtains so they had to have something for them to cover up? Or, the porthole was there so you could see if it was safe/clear to open the hatch?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

MArtian I haven't been able to find any info on the Anchor Storage, but I did find my flight manual reference. I have it in PDF format if it would be of any help to you.

Heres a link you may also find interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAQCCKB6p7A

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

MArtian I haven't been able to find any info on the Anchor Storage, but I did find my flight manual reference. I have it in PDF format if it would be of any help to you.

Heres a link you may also find interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAQCCKB6p7A

Thanks Loren, the pdf would be of help as I am in a complete muddle at the moment (Quiet in the cheap seats!) and anything that might get me out of it can only be of assistance. Whether that is to get me out of the muddle or further into it is open to question!

Appreciative of Mars

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Mariner Porthole hatch

Is this the porthole hatch in question Martian? Have a word with Tommy Thomason, he may be able to shed some light.

Sent the Mem to look in the Melchett Aviation Digital (MAD) archives here at MT earlier which turned up a couple of tomes on the Mariner, nothing about the anchor stowage unfortunately....have instructed her to delve a bit deeper :yikes:

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, general melchett said:

have instructed her to delve a bit deeper

Her Ladyship will require the Regimental Diving suit then. I'll nip down to 'Uncles' Pawn shop tomorrow morning and get it out of Hock for Her. 

Or is the Archive no longer below the level of the Moat?

Just thinking of all the rain we've had around here lately. Look at what it's done to the price of chips!

• Haha 5

Hello Martien,

As the subject of toilet seats has been dealt with extensively, I won't be of any help on this point.

I've mislaid (or deleted?) the folder containing my research on the PBM Mariner. I went on the Internet to find some photos. I went on flickr, facebook, and others, and here are some interesting details.  

The PBM has a double flap under the bow, which the bomber opens to take aim: 

pbm_211.jpg

The shutters are open here:

pbm_111.jpg

Here we have the inside of the front tip:

pbm_311.jpg

The portholes provide some light.
The bomb aimer and front turret have disappeared.

The following two photos were taken from the same angle, from the gangway on the left towards the front with the starboard boarding door open.

pbm_612.jpg

The anchor is stored behind the forward wall on the right. I couldn't find a photo of this detail (which I didn't mention in my Mariner).

pbm_512.jpg

The crew installed a cleat or mooring bitt at the door to secure the rope.

s-l16010.jpg

Finally, I also found a photo of the staircase leading to the upper floor:

echell10.jpg

Have fun in modeling!

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Snafu35 said:

Hello Martien,

As the subject of toilet seats has been dealt with extensively, I won't be of any help on this point.

I've mislaid (or deleted?) the folder containing my research on the PBM Mariner. I went on the Internet to find some photos. I went on flickr, facebook, and others, and here are some interesting details.  

The PBM has a double flap under the bow, which the bomber opens to take aim: 

pbm_211.jpg

The shutters are open here:

pbm_111.jpg

Here we have the inside of the front tip:

pbm_311.jpg

The portholes provide some light.
The bomb aimer and front turret have disappeared.

The following two photos were taken from the same angle, from the gangway on the left towards the front with the starboard boarding door open.

pbm_612.jpg

The anchor is stored behind the forward wall on the right. I couldn't find a photo of this detail (which I didn't mention in my Mariner).

pbm_512.jpg

The crew installed a cleat or mooring bitt at the door to secure the rope.

s-l16010.jpg

Finally, I also found a photo of the staircase leading to the upper floor:

echell10.jpg

Have fun in modeling!

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

Those pictures are great Eric, thank you so much for posting them, they are going to be very usefulindeed .

Martian 👽

• Like 1

New plane for me. Looks amazing in the cutaways and your scratchbuilding is developing beautifully. Glad to see you're including the "can" as I need to add one into the back of my Goeland and could use an example. What a beautiful monster that Mariner was! I hope to do a Catalina at some point.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1