Gloster Javelin FAW.2 - XA801 1/48 - Airfix

Morning all!

My first memory of pretty much any aircraft as a child was seeing the odd shaped Gloster Javelin that was the former gate guardian of RAF Stafford. My dad was stationed there from 1982 - 85 before demobilising. The airframe was then later scrapped due to poor maintenance in 1994, as seen here in the video below

My plan is to build XA801 and convert the Airfix FAW.9 to the FAW.2. Problem is, I cannot find the conversion kit needed to do so.

I know there are only a few slight changes between the FAW.2 and the FAW.9, the most notable is the engine exhaust, as well as the FAW.2 did not have mid-air refueling.

I know that a conversion kit exists, but I cannot find it anywhere, if any one is able to help point me in the right direction, or knows someone who has one that are willing to part with it, I would more than interest.

Thanks all in advance :)

• Like 4

On 20/02/2024 at 09:46, Mikey-1980 said:

My plan is to build XA801 and convert the Airfix FAW.9 to the FAW.2. Problem is, I cannot find the conversion kit needed to do so.

Or you could do it the fun way! Scrap plastic, putty, a good set of drawings for reference. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Mikey-1980 said:

time, space and a desire not to do this is my motivation for not doing that.

:D

kind of hard to argue with that.

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, Karearea said:

Geez that video needs a content warning. I’m not exactly putting my hand up to ship it around the globe and stick it in my backyard but still..

Its a bit gut wrenching to see the old bird torn up like it was. Apparently it was rusting away and was worth more in scrap than restoring to display quality. A shame really as I dont think there are many Javelins left, especially FAW.2's anyways?

Its replacement is and has been ever since a Hawker Sidley Harrier GR.3 XZ987

0000132684.jpg

Formally of 4 Squadron at RAF Gutersloh until 1983, then transferred to RAF Lossiemouth, and the to become the replacement guardian at what is now MOD Stafford.

• Like 3

The Conversion was originally made by Alley Cat and all their stuff is excellent quality and great value. My Mark 8 was a conversion  from the Dynavector Mk9 kit  and all of the alterations were by me as this was  a while before the Airfix kit and Alley Cat conversion were around.

Edited by matti64
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Mikey-1980 said:

Its a bit gut wrenching to see the old bird torn up like it was. Apparently it was rusting away and was worth more in scrap than restoring to display quality. A shame really as I dont think there are many Javelins left, especially FAW.2's anyways?

Its replacement is and has been ever since a Hawker Sidley Harrier GR.3 XZ987

0000132684.jpg

Formally of 4 Squadron at RAF Gutersloh until 1983, then transferred to RAF Lossiemouth, and the to become the replacement guardian at what is now MOD Stafford.

XA801 was the last surviving F(AW)2.

• Sad 3

• 1 month later...

Morning campers!

So work has begun on converting the Airfix FAW.9 Javelin to the earlier FAW.2 and air frame XA801.....former gate guardian of RAF Stafford. The conversion kit has been ordered and should (hopefully) arrive today.

I've started to look into what the major differences were from earlier variants, leading up to the mark, FAW.7 that went into service. Thunder & Lightning - Javelin History has been a great help. The table of differences should help making those modifications. Though it should be noted, I will do as much as I can.

So far, only the tub has been put together. I'm not 100% happy with the straps, and I think some further work will be needed. Not super accurate with the control surfaces as most pictures I have found are in black and white.

DSC_5878

DSC_5879

DSC_5881

DSC_5884

DSC_5882

DSC_5883

Some Krystal Klear on some of the instruments may help and painting the "straps" a darker shade may also help.

Anywho's, enjoy :)

• Like 8

Small update....The Alley Kat conversion kit showed up today. Need to look through it properly ad to see what work is involved.

From the looks of it, some minor leading edge cutting on the wings for the cannons, and a minor but of cutting for the exhaust dove tail. The shortened nose cone looks like its a direct replacement for the existing section supplied by Airfix.

More to follow when I get to these points of the build.

On 2/20/2024 at 9:46 AM, Mikey-1980 said:

Morning all!

My first memory of pretty much any aircraft as a child was seeing the odd shaped Gloster Javelin that was the former gate guardian of RAF Stafford. My dad was stationed there from 1982 - 85 before demobilising. The airframe was then later scrapped due to poor maintenance in 1994, as seen here in the video below

I know there are only a few slight changes between the FAW.2 and the FAW.9, the most notable is the engine exhaust, as well as the FAW.2 did not have mid-air refueling.

I know that a conversion kit exists, but I cannot find it anywhere, if any one is able to help point me in the right direction, or knows someone who has one that are willing to part with it, I would more than interest.

Thanks all in advance :)

One of the things missed is the smaller intakes and different profile on the Mk 1 to 6 javelins, not sure the conversion kit covers this.

• Like 1

Thanks for the words of encouragement :) Much appreciated as this will be the most ambitious project I've undertaken, and I have a 3 year old! :D

Well, last night the cockpit was finished off and buttoned up. really nice fit from Airfix too. Cant really see all that much now though.

DSC_5889

DSC_5887

DSC_5888

Now as for the conversion kit, @Selwyn there are no smaller intakes included in the kit. Something I need to find. What is included is this little lot. Now all washed in warm soapy water, ready to be trimmed and "fitted"

For some reason the nose cone is cut at a 30 degree angle(ish) which will cause a rather nasty seem line to smooth out.

DSC_5885

I compared it to the FAW.9 cone and forward section and it is about 1.5cm smaller that the FAW.2 nose cone. What puzzles me is that why doesnt the conversion kit just have a smaller nose cone that would fit directly onto the existing Airfix kit forward section?

The wing tip section on the right of the picture are the FAW.2 cannon sections and the leading edges that do not incorporate the underwing hard points. Lots of cutting and filly to be done. 

The photoetch parts are templates to ensure the vortext generators are then place back in the right place on the wing surface. however, from looking at the upper wing surface of the Cosford museum Javelin, there doesnt seem to be any? Its all lovely and smooth?

1200px-Gloster_Javelin_RAF_Museum_Cosfor

However, XA801 in guard duty, does have some slight little nubbins there that I may be able to get away with perhaps?

Gloster_Javelin_FAW.2_XA801_7739M_46.F_S

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Mikey-1980 said:

Thanks for the words of encouragement :) Much appreciated as this will be the most ambitious project I've undertaken, and I have a 3 year old! :D

Well, last night the cockpit was finished off and buttoned up. really nice fit from Airfix too. Cant really see all that much now though.

DSC_5889

DSC_5887

DSC_5888

Now as for the conversion kit, @Selwyn there are no smaller intakes included in the kit. Something I need to find. What is included is this little lot. Now all washed in warm soapy water, ready to be trimmed and "fitted"

For some reason the nose cone is cut at a 30 degree angle(ish) which will cause a rather nasty seem line to smooth out.

DSC_5885

I compared it to the FAW.9 cone and forward section and it is about 1.5cm smaller that the FAW.2 nose cone. What puzzles me is that why doesnt the conversion kit just have a smaller nose cone that would fit directly onto the existing Airfix kit forward section?

The wing tip section on the right of the picture are the FAW.2 cannon sections and the leading edges that do not incorporate the underwing hard points. Lots of cutting and filly to be done. 

The photoetch parts are templates to ensure the vortext generators are then place back in the right place on the wing surface. however, from looking at the upper wing surface of the Cosford museum Javelin, there doesnt seem to be any? Its all lovely and smooth?

1200px-Gloster_Javelin_RAF_Museum_Cosfor

However, XA801 in guard duty, does have some slight little nubbins there that I may be able to get away with perhaps?

Gloster_Javelin_FAW.2_XA801_7739M_46.F_S

The  FAW2,6, 8 had American radars fitted and the nose was destinctly different wth a much larger and fatter radome that had an angled attachment as demonstrated in the conversion kit. Look at pictures  of the  FAW9 nose in comparison to the image above. Check the gap between the windscreen and the radome and the roundel position.

Selwyn

• Thanks 1

There are some drawings in the October 2003 issue of Scale Aviation Modeller that I have been using as a reference. They are not 100% accurate, but illustrate differences between various models quite well. The nose is an intesting area, the long and short nose only seem to differ forward from the line at the front of windscreen. In theory the fusalage should have a circular cross section there, but Airfix has a different opinion about that. It is nice to see another Javelin conversion, good luck with the build!

• Thanks 1

That Alley Cat radome is correct - the nose plan view bottom left shows the angle quite well. Same with the FAW6 and 8.

IMG-3616.gif

• Thanks 2

Right then campers!

BIG update incoming.....I have managed to work into place to the best of my abilities, the forward cock pit section and WOW does it not fit. Panel gaps you could drive a bus through. and better still....its not even flush. The starboard side is approx 1mm higher than the port side. I have tried to wiggle it into place with very little improvement. It is also around 1mm wider than the cockpit section that comes with the kit. So lots of sand, blow, *cough on resin dust, test fit & repeat.

DSC_5895

The under side isn't much better either.

DSC_5896

The panel gap here is also around 1mm high than the rest of the fuselage.

DSC_5894

Work commenced with very very carefully cutting off the tail section at the last panel. Above is a test fit to see roughly what it would look like before taking the butchers knife to the kit.

Measure it 5 time and cut many more! My approach was to cute the rear section off very close to the last panel line, then sand, test fit sand some more until I had a nice straight(ish) line across the kit top and bottom. Unfortunately no pics prior to filler, but you do get to see my partial finger print and probably skin that was left behind when gluing into place. Much to my wifes hilarity seeing me suffer, then the inevitable "pop" as I released my fingers from the glue.

DSC_5909

Top section. As you can see, plenty of filling and sanding required now. So thats the next few nights sorted. 😕 

DSC_5907

DSC_5906

DSC_5905

A bit of a close up of the ridge that has formed underneath. As you can see, not the best fitment. I am considering trying to sand it so it looks like it tapers into the fuselage? Ideas are all most welcome.

DSC_5910

Cheers

M

• Like 8

The tail looks to be a better fit than the nose, but I think you’ll need a mask for all the sanding. If you don’t like the idea of a mask then sand it over a dampened piece of old shirt or something similar to collect the dust.

I made a series of 1/72 Javelins many years ago using the Frog then Airfix and Heller kits as donors,  I think the conversions where by Maintrack and/or Airwaves, but I can’t see myself repeating the exercise in 1/48.

Good luck.

John

• Thanks 1

Thanks John, I'm going to need it.

Dampening the sandpaper will certainly help. persistence and a cool nerve are the key I think?

I’ve found this a bit too late!  The FAW2 was equipped with the AI-22 (USA supplied ‘track while scan’ radar), the navigators display and equipment was very, very different to that supplied in the Airfix FAW9 kit.  It is quite difficult to find suitable photos of the AI-22 fit.

This is a photo of the AI-22 display (FAW2, 6 & 8 ) I have designed for the 1:72 Airfix Javelin:

spacer.png

The radar display is the large ‘box’ set low with the 2 circles (the 2 displays), above it is the GEE navigation set.

This is the equivalent AI-17 (FAW 1, 4, 5, 7 & 9) set:

spacer.png

As you will see, there is a very significant difference (the AI-17 is on the left with the GEE on the right and the radar controller down where the AI-22 unit would otherwise sit).

• Like 7