Marine Corps pilot has downed 7 drones: More pictures of Hornets with kill markings

NoSG0

Interesting...wonder which drone, and how!

Just speculation in the article unfortunately!

And those look like expensive shootdowns. Amraam against Shaheed?  So who can produce more cheaply winns this in the longer run! 😞

Also sounds like a target-rich environment... !

What comes next?

Stealth drones?

Air defence drones?

Sounds scary!

• Like 3

On 2/13/2024 at 2:47 PM, exdraken said:

those look like expensive shootdowns. Amraam against Shaheed?  So who can produce more cheaply winns this in the longer run!

If it's the cost of some AMRAAMs vs the cost of re-routing maritime traffic - and subsequent impacts to trade and the economy - then the missiles are probably cheap at the price!

Also, if an AMRAAM can stop a drone from sinking a ship or from targeting a platoon for destruction by artillery (and preventing my mission success), I'd happily pay the money.

Bank accounts are important, but once the shooting starts in high-intensity (and many other) wars, you're not really using monetary cost comparisons as a major metric for success!

• Like 5

On 2/14/2024 at 5:47 AM, Blimpyboy said:

If it's the cost of some AMRAAMs vs the cost of re-routing maritime traffic - and subsequent impacts to trade and the economy - then the missiles are probably cheap at the price!

Also, if an AMRAAM can stop a drone from sinking a ship or from targeting a platoon for destruction by artillery (and preventing my mission success), I'd happily pay the money.

Bank accounts are important, but once the shooting starts in high-intensity (and many other) wars, you're not really using monetary cost comparisons as a major metric for success!

Yes and no.   You've only got a limited number of high-end weapons.   If you deplete them against cheap RC model airplanes, you really aren't helping yourself in the long run.    The USN has used up a good portion of it's SM-2 inventory against Houti ASM's.    Considering that they only contracted to purchase 24 of these weapons this year, that's going to be a problem.  Two potential solutions - either all the other players in the region who are armed to the teeth step up and start doing some of the heavy lifting or in the longer run, cheap, affordable weapons are developed (ideally lasers) for targets like Shaheeds.  

Edited by 11bravo
  • Like 2

There's life in the old Harrier yet.  I wonder whether VIFFing or hovering near a drone could leave you vulnerable to other threats?  The Harrier has a high workload for the pilot, so he could get tunnel vision whilst targeting the initial threat, but he'd hopefully have a buddy keeping an eye out for such things. :)

Given there are handheld anti drone weapons that fritz the electronics and guidance, I wouldn't have thought it would be too difficult to rig a couple to a mount on a suitably slow-moving platform... Couple of Seafires with the gun bays filled with these?

best,

M.

7 hours ago, 11bravo said:

Two potential solutions - either all the other players in the region who are armed to the teeth step up and start doing some of the heavy lifting or in the longer run, cheap, affordable weapons are developed (ideally lasers) for targets like Shaheeds.  

That’s true and infinitely preferable, but…

You can only use what you have to hand when the balloon goes up - when responding to situations like this, you can’t cry foul and put a war on hold ‘til you’re ready to fight it on your preferred terms!

Edited by Blimpyboy
  • Haha 1

On 2/14/2024 at 5:17 PM, tempestfan said:

Do AV-8Bs have operable cannon in their LIDs, or if not, have a cleared wing gun pod? A small drone would be a perfect target for a short burst from a Vulcan or even Minigun.

They can carry a GAU-12 Equalizer 25mm Gatling type cannon, the complete system is mounted in both pods, one pod has the gun system, the other pod has the ammo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAU-12_Equalizer

• Like 2

• NoSG0 changed the title to Marine Corps pilot has downed 7 drones: More pictures of Hornets with kill markings