Liberty Walk Hakosuka 4-Door

I’ve now finished the Liberty Walk Hakosuka that my wife suggested I buy to make up for my B-17 primer disaster.  
I guess Liberty Walk based this car on a period racer, but the only pictures I could find online seemed to be of this car.  The base kit is from the 80s and was motorised.  Some of the mechanics for that are still there as are a huge number of spare grilles, lights and so forth.

The kit is more or less OOB, cutting the arches for the overfenders was not as bad as expected.  The red is mostly paint, it all comes as decals but these were so thick they wouldn’t settle whatever solutions I tried.  So just the door stripes are the decals, the rest is done with tape and paint, the number disk on the bonnet took a few goes!  Other decals for names and companies laid down beautifully.

Altogether it was a nice build, it looks quite bonkers; I have the LBW R35 which is another mad looker in the stash.

53481011389_a7c8e78249_b.jpg

53480701781_d6885a1792_b.jpg

53481109450_9fbc008dde_b.jpg

53480701776_739f85d200_b.jpg

Obviously a tuner JDM has to have period parcel shelf speakers for some bangin’ tunes!

53481009239_1e890f1c58_b.jpg

53480701786_588e3353e7_b.jpg

I think I want to do something with a mat finish next!  Like a WW2 plane.  On the other hand there’s several cars in semi-complete state I ought to work through.  I expect I’ll probably go and start another car🤦🏼‍♂️

• Like 17

That looks really well built so you should be pleased with the outcome.

But... personally I really hate the way that Liberty Walk seem to take perfectly good (and usually expensive) cars and totally ruin them. Nice build as I say, it's only the subject I don't like.

Incidentally, nothing to stop you doing a car in matte paint - that does seem to be what's in fashion now after all ;)

• Like 2

Brilliant! One I built a few years ago, well done!

• Like 1

What a great model, nicely done and the subject is very cool!

I like the idea of taking something like this as far as it can go, or maybe just a little bit too far...

I'm also on the other side of the fence as well, lovely build and well painted, but the whole Liberty walk style of car does absolutely nothing for me 

I can't see the point of "ruining" (in my eyes) perfectly good cars 

However, if we all liked the same thing, how boring would the world be :)

Ian :) 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, danntheman said:

I have one of these to start a present from son at Christmas, wondering about arches were they hard to do ?

Arches fairly easy.  I put sellotape over the drawings and made templates over using tamiya tape.  Stuck the tam tape shapes on the body and scribed round.  On this car the arches cover quite a bit so the cut isn’t too critical.

Cheers

• Like 1

I realised I forgot to add the window stickers!

53485190919_1fbbe37bcd_b.jpg

I changed the photo again - I added some spacers to the front axle.  It looks better, though the wheels would rub on full lock!  Not that practicality is a high priority on this car.

Thanks for all the kind comments!

Edited by malpaso
Photo updated with axle spacers
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jbourne124 said:

You did great work with masking, I imagine you used tamiya spray cans? 

Halfords white primer, Halfords white (Ford Frozen White iirc); red is airbrushed Tamiya’s acrylic.  Then multiple coats of Windsor & Newton acrylic gloss varnish.

The main issue is that the acrylic varnish stays soft for a long time.  It’s dry in a day or so but won’t feel hard like a lacquer finish for some months!  I have some “Mr Levelling Thinners” to try out on a future project to see if that helps.  I find applying any kind of clear painful as I can’t see where I’ve been!