WW2 Twins GB Chat

10 hours ago, Rod The Fixer said:

spacer.png

Ah, one where you don't need to worry about prop shapes! (I was going to say 'crumbs, they are small blades' but...)

I always like the lines of this one, it will be interesting to see

Ray

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Maybe, as this GB starts, I should start a list of what Twins the people are building. Although there will be multiples of some types, I assume we'll get a long and diverse list anyway. Just waiting for Pat @JOCKNEY to come up with a vacuform kit of a Vichy French subject that three were built and two kits (I really mean two specimen of the only kit produced) sold :giggle:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

15 hours ago, Rod The Fixer said:

This GB will be the opportunity to assemble this kit as well...

FW-189A-2 - (Heeres)/31 - ICM 1:72:

These are great looking aircraft that I have always had a fascination with since building the Airfix model of one as a kid many years ago. Its a type that I would like to revisit so I'm very interested to see how this goes together.

• Like 2

On 12/13/2023 at 11:41 PM, Enzo the Magnificent said:

I've mentioned a Westland Whirlwind and HP Hampden for this GB.  They are set in stone.

I'm currently enjoying building the new Airfix Me 410. So much so that I want to build another.  I think I will "convert" it into an Me 410B-2.  I put the word "convert" in quotation marks becuse it's basically a different set of decals.  As far as I am aware, the 410B series had more powerful engines than the A-series.  There were no external differences.  However, if any Britmodeller knows differently, please let me know.

Although this is the "WW2 Twins" GB, it started out as two seperate proposals: the Allied Twins GB and the Axis Twins GB.    Thinking about an Axis arcraft other than German led me to the Me 210, which was used by the Hungarian Air Force.  It might be fun to convert the Airfix Me 410 into an Me 210C-1a.  My research leads me to believe that the 210C had the same fuselage as the 410.  The wings were of the 210 sweptback planform but with leading edge slats.   If anyome knows better, again please let me know.

It will be interesting converting the wings.  Sweeping them back from outboard of the nacelles is easy, but the radiators need to be kept in line with the airflow.  That should be fun.

How about the 210 flaps?  The prototype 210s had split flaps while the production 410s had plain flaps.  Does anyone know about the flaps on the 210C?   

Quoting "Aircraft Profiles 161 - The Me 210/410 Series":

"The Me 410 Hornisse (Hornet) was essentially similar to the ill-fated Me 210, but introduced an eight-inch increase in the engine cowlings to accommodate the new power plants".

But so far i haven't found another source that confirms this. Still looking for more infos....

Me 210A-1/Me 210Ca-1 fuselages had the same dimensions. Older airframes were updated to that standard.

The flaps on the Me 210C had plain flaps, so that should be okay.

hope this helps

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Maybe, as this GB starts, I should start a list of what Twins the people are building. Although there will be multiples of some types, I assume we'll get a long and diverse list anyway. Just waiting for Pat @JOCKNEY to come up with a vacuform kit of a Vichy French subject that three were built and two kits (I really mean two specimen of the only kit produced) sold :giggle:

B-25 as either an USMC or USAAF strafer as my primary build. With a possible Beaufort from Malta as my second build. All depends on time. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

B-25 as either an USMC or USAAF strafer as my primary build. With a possible Beaufort from Malta as my second build. All depends on time. 

I have the Italeri 1/72 B-25G on my short list. If by any chance you happen to be building that as well, we could probably agree to build different subjects (4 included in the kit). 😄

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/italeri-1309-b-25g-mitchell--101706

101706-15582-14-pristine.jpg

• Like 4

10 hours ago, klr said:

I have the Italeri 1/72 B-25G on my short list. If by any chance you happen to be building that as well, we could probably agree to build different subjects (4 included in the kit). 😄

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/italeri-1309-b-25g-mitchell--101706

101706-15582-14-pristine.jpg

No I will either be doing a Revellogram B-25J as Either a USAAF strafer or as a PBJ-1J. I also have the Italeri B-25D in 1/72 which may be done as either of the above (PBJ-1D). I have a 1/48 PBJ-1H already and have a spare 1/48 nose to do another someday. I really would like to get a hold of this kit though to do a “G”. 

• Like 3

I've just skimmed thru these 22 pages to make sure I did sign, found my name on a list but not a thread entry, list will do. I couldn't remember but though I had & have mentioned my intentions elsewhere, like Martin's @RidgeRunner's thread on his French B-26. Only a couple of weeks to the off, better dig my Italeri A-26 kit out before long, there's a shed load of GBs I fancy & that is just the first 6 months. 🤔

Steve.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

I've just skimmed thru these 22 pages to make sure I did sign, found my name on a list but not a thread entry, list will do. I couldn't remember but though I had & have mentioned my intentions elsewhere, like Martin's @RidgeRunner's thread on his French B-26. Only a couple of weeks to the off, better dig my Italeri A-26 kit out before long, there's a shed load of GBs I fancy & that is just the first 6 months. 🤔

Steve.

It's entirely possible it's got jumbled in the thread merge, Steve, but I'm very glad we're going to have you along for the ride :D 

James

• Like 2

With the GB opening now within sight, I thought a shed sort out might be in order. Impatient, me? Never!

The sort out turned up another possible entry in the shape of a part started Airfix B26 Marauder. Not one of my favorite shapes I have to admit, hence its part started status. A quick internet image search turned up a brightly polished factory fresh picture that got me looking at the plane with different eyes though.  Third picture down in the link...

https://www.defensemedianetwork.com/stories/flying-and-fighting-in-the-b-26-marauder/

The slick lines of the plane, pre Tampa Bay immersion test, look rather fetching.

I'll put this one in the maybe pile.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TonyW said:

Yup. In between pulls on the oxygen mask. What could possibly go wrong?

Well, at least he's not lubricating the threads on the O2 pipe connection to make it easier to screw in.   I've seen that done a couple of times...    😱

• Like 2