CR-Models 1/144 Boeing 727-200ADV

Skodadriver

According to Airliner Cafe "a modelling company" (maybe X-Scale????) is at the design stage of a new injection moulded 1/144 Boeing 727-200 for release in autumn 2024.  Apparently if the -200 sells well a -100 may follow. 

It sounds quite promising. The Airfix kit needs a lot of work and the Minicraft kit was one of airliner modelling's biggest missed opportunities so fingers crossed for the new one whatever its source.

Dave G

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

I saw this on Airliner Cafe too, pretty excited by it! I hope it's X-Scale - or if not, the same quality - I just got their DC-8 and it looks lovely. 

Things seem to be looking up for fans of classic postwar airliners but there are a few gaps to fill. If anyone at X-Scale is reading this, I'd love a new 707 and 737-200Adv please!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

According to Airliner Cafe "a modelling company" (maybe X-Scale????) is at the design stage of a new injection moulded 1/144 Boeing 727-200 for release in autumn 2024.  Apparently if the -200 sells well a -100 may follow. 

It sounds quite promising. The Airfix kit needs a lot of work and the Minicraft kit was one of airliner modelling's biggest missed opportunities so fingers crossed for the new one whatever its source.

Dave G

Hi Dave, being involved in this project (aka Flaptrack on acafe), i can say - no, its not X-Scale but yes the quality will be exactly the same cause it is supposed to come from the same moldmaker.

As you said, the plan goes for a -200 Standard edition, -200 Pro edition (lots of 3d printed parts) and if sales go well a -100 version is in pipeline as well.

At this stage it far beyond planing but still far away from useful CAD screenshots. I can see the daily development and i expect the first pictures of the 3d model end of this year.

We are totally aware of all the Airfix and minicraft flaws and thats why the decision was made. I can assure you, the level of accuracy that is put into the design and other things is stunning and i also hope for a positive outcome next year. If there are any questions i have the connection to provide further information and also suggestions are welcome.

Best regards

9 minutes ago, zebra said:

I saw this on Airliner Cafe too, pretty excited by it! I hope it's X-Scale - or if not, the same quality - I just got their DC-8 and it looks lovely. 

Things seem to be looking up for fans of classic postwar airliners but there are a few gaps to fill. If anyone at X-Scale is reading this, I'd love a new 707 and 737-200Adv please!

as mentioned above...and its funny you say 737-200 and 707... but i'll leave that uncommented for now 😉

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

For those involved in this project, authentic Boeing company model drawings are available here:

http://aviationarchives.blogspot.com/2015/11/boeing-display-model-drawings.html

we got those among others, but they are also not a 100% correct and a -100 version and were used by boeing for a wooden model btw.

4 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

For those involved in this project, authentic Boeing company model drawings are available here:

http://aviationarchives.blogspot.com/2015/11/boeing-display-model-drawings.html

Many thanks for this link. Besides all classical Boeing jets there are two drawings very interesting for me - the one for Boeing model 80 and 40! The first one is in range of Broplan and this could be used for extra detailing....

Regards

J-W

8 hours ago, RCI said:

we got those among others, but they are also not a 100% correct and a -100 version and were used by boeing for a wooden model btw.

I have station number drawings for the 727-200 if they will help. Send me a PM with your email address.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

The Airfix kit needs a lot of work and the Minicraft kit was one of airliner modelling's biggest missed opportunities so fingers crossed for the new one whatever its source.

Not too clued in on airliner kits, what was so wrong with minicraft's kit?

Yep, the Minicraft 727 is not perfect.  But I liked the end result.  

p7TQ5C7.jpg?1

Edited by Ad-4N
Picture.
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Skodadriver said:

@Adam Poultney The most obvious faults are that the Minicraft wings are far too thick and the engines are too big. The wings are difficult (if not impossible) to correct and just look wrong.

Dave G

true, engines, wings, overall nose shape, no crisp detail. I think the Airfix one is easier to correct.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Well, here you go.

Please note, these are screenshots of early design stages. Lots of things still missing, but the main Aircraft design is done. Months of research were needed to get all data into the right place. We realized that all existing models (resin and injection) have minor or major errors which we tried to avoid and correct. A lot more will follow soon.

https://cr-models.com/news/crm-announces-b727-200-new-tool-for-2024/

727_WIP-3-scaled.jpg

727_WIP-2-scaled.jpg

727_WIP-4-scaled.jpg

727_WIP-6-scaled.jpg

727_WIP-1-scaled.jpg

727_WIP-7-scaled.jpg

727_WIP-12-scaled.jpg

727_WIP-8-scaled.jpg

727_WIP-9-scaled.jpg

727_WIP-10-scaled.jpg

727_WIP-11-scaled.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

On 8/24/2023 at 12:38 AM, RCI said:

i have the connection to provide further information and also suggestions are welcome.

as mentioned above...and its funny you say 737-200 and 707... but i'll leave that uncommented for now 😉

The Boeing 707 would be a very welcomed addition. 

Chris.

• Like 4

• Skodadriver changed the title to CR-Models 1/144 Boeing 727-200ADV
6 minutes ago, Skodadriver said:

Thanks @RCI Title changed as requested.

I know it's off topic but are you planning another run of your MD-11 cockpit section? I went to order one and discovered it was out of stock.

Dave G

Hi Dave! Yes we do in the very near future. Initially we offer the DC10 part with the pro kit soon and afterwards we do the same with the MD11 (same part but slightly different decal). 

• Like 1

On 12/11/2023 at 4:30 PM, RCI said:

Well, here you go.

Please note, these are screenshots of early design stages. Lots of things still missing, but the main Aircraft design is done. Months of research were needed to get all data into the right place. We realized that all existing models (resin and injection) have minor or major errors which we tried to avoid and correct. A lot more will follow soon.

https://cr-models.com/news/crm-announces-b727-200-new-tool-for-2024/

727_WIP-3-scaled.jpg

727_WIP-2-scaled.jpg

727_WIP-4-scaled.jpg

727_WIP-6-scaled.jpg

727_WIP-1-scaled.jpg

727_WIP-7-scaled.jpg

727_WIP-12-scaled.jpg

727_WIP-8-scaled.jpg

727_WIP-9-scaled.jpg

727_WIP-10-scaled.jpg

727_WIP-11-scaled.jpg

Oh, my poor aching credit card!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

we are in the final design stages. we expect to see the first plastic sprues in mid summer.

Screenshot-362-1024x576.png

Screenshot-361-1024x576.png

Screenshot-365-2-1024x576.png

Screenshot-364-1024x576.png

Screenshot-367-1024x576.png

Screenshot-363-1024x576.png

Screenshot-366-1024x576.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Very nice job on the wing and how thin the section should be outside of the wing break.  Perhaps not go too overboard with lots of little parts and details which you will not see, keep the outlines perfect and you'll have a great seller on your hands.  If I would suggest decal wise, split the decal into a windows and details sheet which can be common, and then do the airline markings separate.  Hum... test shots early summer that means production plastic in the fall.  I am going to want a lot of these kits!  Please consider a follow up with a new fuselage for the -100 version.     

Edited by redracer
mis-spelling
  • Like 4

49 minutes ago, Paul in Napier said:

Looks like the windows are a insert...like the BPK 737s

we are still evaluating if we do it like bpk or if we make a solid fuselage.

9 hours ago, redracer said:

Very nice job on the wing and how thin the section should be outside of the wing break.  Perhaps not go too overboard with lots of little parts and details which you will not see, keep the outlines perfect and you'll have a great seller on your hands.  If I would suggest decal wise, split the decal into a windows and details sheet which can be common, and then do the airline markings separate.  Hum... test shots early summer that means production plastic in the fall.  I am going to want a lot of these kits!  Please consider a follow up with a new fuselage for the -100 version.     

the outlines are our main focus, never the less we spend a lot of time for details. we want a 99% replica of the 727. Short run injection molding is our limit.

we consider this decal option mentioned.

the -100 is the logical next and firm part of our plan. fuselage is not the only different part, for the time being we intend no common sprues due to mould wear and other things. But the -100 will definetly follow.

Edited by RCI
  • Like 5

I have the airfix kit which I didn't know had problems, don't know what they are. If someone can send a link or just notes on what is needed to change it let me know. I might like the CR models kit instead. I saw a FedEx 727 fly into Winnipeg back in about '90 I think. It went low down the runway and did a hard wingtip bank to starboard and landed. Must have been empty. Those are long gone now.

7 hours ago, RCI said:

we are still evaluating if we do it like bpk or if we make a solid fuselage.

Any direction you take will be fine as far as I'm concerned, I voted for the clear inserts but will be equally pleased if the fuselage comes solid, as long as your design choice brings you lots a sales potential... and perhaps other future airliner kits.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Silver Seraph said:

Any direction you take will be fine as far as I'm concerned, I voted for the clear inserts but will be equally pleased if the fuselage comes solid, as long as your design choice brings you lots a sales potential... and perhaps other future airliner kits.

we are quite sure, that even as short run, this kit will be a huge step upwards from airfix/minicraft, thus hopefully making it a good selling kit.

The interesting thing might be, that since we build models on our own, we are fully aware of the importance when i comes to accuracy and buildability.

Sadly also we had to learn that certain things are simply not possible in injection moulding. Yet, at this stage we think we created something that maybe does not compare to any other airliner model in terms of accuracy. But in the end the buyer will decide and right or wrong us. At least thats what we try :)

After the -200, the -100 will follow and after that another milestone in aviation is about to be created.

• Like 5