Mach 2's 1:72nd Boeing 727-200

Evening all,

I've just put the finishing touches to this today: Mach 2's relatively recent release of the venerable Boeing 727 in 1/72nd scale:

DSC_0054

I used 26decals for the Alitalia scheme and Authentic Airliners' windows and cockpit - which look remarkably effective even in this larger scale.

DSC_0023

The model went together without too many problems, other than a badly warped bottom to the fuselage which was straightened out on the hob!

52880498088_1238c2982f_b.jpg

Another small improvement that's easy to make is to improve the inlets on all three engines by inserting some plastic tubing of the correct diameter and faring it all in with some filler:

52896197022_8257f37d90_b.jpg

DSC_0006

DSC_0013

Paints were all from Halfords with a final spray of Tamiya's Clear:

DSC_0062

DSC_0050

DSC_0041

DSC_0025

DSC_0066

DSC_0012

DSC_0039

DSC_0060

DSC_0057

You don't buy Mach 2 and expect Tamiya quality, but overall this was a fun build and didn't provide too many challenges. It's a big old beast in this scale, and is an impressive presence on the table. 

I just hope Didier keeps producing these kits - I'd love a Trident or a Coronado in 1/72nd scale - they're pretty basic by modern standards but reasonably priced and above all, great fun!

All the best,

Tom

• Like 55
  • Thanks 3

Beautifully done. I was especially impressed with the fact they got the shape of the nose and cockpit right. Oftentimes, this is one area where kit manufacturers mess up when producing early Boeing jetliners.

Beautiful job on this, Tom!  The kit's more of a challenge, I think, than you advertise.

Would you mind showing us a direct head-on shot from the vantage point of the nose?  I want to check something out, because the kit's wings don't look right to me--too thin at the root, and no taper to the one-third span mark.  Also, did you use the kit's wheels, or after-market?  They look surprisingly good.

The 727 has always been my favorite airliner and your build is just stunning. I have built a few Mach 2 models myself and I agree with you : They are not Tamygawa - quality but you get rare types and a lot of fun putting them together,

Thank's for sharing !