1/72 - Republic F-84F Thunderstreak by Special Hobby in 2023

KRK4m

2 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

You're just showing off...  :bleh: 

I will end up with spares, of course! ;) I also have an AirDoc German set that I probably won’t use.

18 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

I hope so!!! 🤞

Me too!!

14 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

From looking at the instructions on Scalemates it appears that there are two fins.  The rear fuselage has what appears to be a ventral strake moulded in with an optional housing which can be fitted over the top of it.

Well I hope you're right 'cos I've ordered three!

Looking at the sprue shots on the Big H website it's all there so fingers crossed.

• Like 1

It's arrived, now where did I put those DACO decals?!

This is the first Special Hobby kit I've bought in a long time (since Pembroke & DH Hornet I think), and it looks exceptional.  Glad I skipped the Sword offering now, but I do feel for them.

53261214792_75e1495330_k.jpg

Special Hobby F-84F Rebublic Thunderstreak SH72395 by James Thomas, on Flickr

53262387733_e590997595_k.jpg

53262095561_cbaf25db33_k.jpg

53262095576_d16be751ae_k.jpg

53262387793_cdf463d9a1_k.jpg

53262387713_c793117b60_k.jpg

53261214772_1a22fa46e2_k.jpg

• Like 14

On 10/14/2023 at 11:52 PM, Lightningboy2000 said:

I'm hoping that S.H. will release Simple Sets of this kit. 

Why, Martin, given these boxed kits are only around £18-19 each?

I am now going to be bold and challenge the decal manufacturers to produce a set (or more ;)) of ANG machines - natural metal and camouflaged :). Go on Kursad @CaracalModels, you know you want to! ;), and think creatively - in-service schemes, etc. Special schemes are okay but most machines flew in standard schemes

• Like 4

3 hours ago, 71chally said:

Glad I skipped the Sword offering now, but I do feel for them.

I agree, James. THere must have been rumours within Czech manufacturing circles, though? 

1 minute ago, RidgeRunner said:

Why, Martin, given these boxed kits are only around £18-19 each?

It was when Special Hobby was last at Telford that they were selling the F1 simple sets for about a tenner & the Magisters for £6. Like you say, they are pretty good value considering. Like Eduard with their overtrees, I thought it was a good idea not to have all the unwanted packaging. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

It was when Special Hobby was last at Telford that they were selling the F1 simple sets for about a tenner & the Magisters for £6. Like you say, they are pretty good value considering. Like Eduard with their overtrees, I thought it was a good idea not to have all the unwanted packaging. 

oh wow! I'd buy a few 'streaks!!!!! :)

20 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

I agree, James. THere must have been rumours within Czech manufacturing circles, though? 

Strange, I can't imagine that they wanted to compete with each other.  

Will be great if SH bring out a 'Flash as well.

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

Strange, I can't imagine that they wanted to compete with each other.  

Will be great if SH bring out a 'Flash as well.

I guess these similar manufacturers had  considered this aircraft in 1/72 same with KP as long as time frames don't clash. I remember a few years ago that KP was considering it. Sword's Flash is pretty good so in hindsight it was surprising that they released their Streak. 

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

oh wow! I'd buy a few 'streaks!!!!! :)

Sometimes, walking around Hannants in the past I have seen kits being packed into the boxes, so maybe they might have overs. In other news I did get an email from SH saying they have no plans to do Simple Sets with this kit. 😢

1 hour ago, drake122 said:

"Printed in the Czech Republic"... so take a guess.... hint: Cartograf is not in the Czech Republic. 🤣

I have two 'identical' Eduard sheets with MiG-21 stencils. One printed in 2018 another in 2021. 2018 edition has crisper lettering and straight rectangular minimal filming. 2021 has irregular film shapes, a bit too large so that it basically creates spots of filming around the sheet. And letters are okay but less crispy. 

The 2018 though is still made in Czech Republic...

Edited by Dennis_C
  • Like 1

On 05/10/2023 at 18:13, Wez said:

Plans of the F-84F and RF-84F are pretty rare as it is, I've never seen any with the rivet patterns on them.

A quick look at the Britmodeller Walkround on the type show that it's mostly flush rivetted anyway, what fasteners that can be seen look like screws.  Your model though.

I can confirm they are flush rivetted throughout, and screw fasteners. There is not a raised head anywhere on the airframe, save for the scabbed on speedbrake covers, which are dome headed steel rivets holding the stainless steel skins. All panel lines are very close tolerances.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

I can confirm they are flush rivetted throughout, and screw fasteners. There is not a raised head anywhere on the airframe, save for the scabbed on speedbrake covers, which are dome headed steel rivets holding the stainless steel skins. All panel lines are very close tolerances.

he knows! 

• Like 2