1/72 - Republic F-84F Thunderstreak by Special Hobby in 2023

KRK4m

Could this be the definitive model of my favorite Cold War jet?

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/special-hobby-f-84f-thunderstreak--1473478

Although the Griffon Spitfires were better reproduced by Sword than SH, but maybe this time it's time for a rematch?

Cheers

Michael

Edited by KRK4m
The use of a question mark is inappropriate given the facts
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Am I having a wonderful dream?!

So, I think I will be holding off on Sword until this one comes to town!

I hope I wake up and this is not a dream!!!! :)

I can think of many BMers who will be very interested!

Martin

• Like 3

Interesting! However, considering we still do not have a release date for the Skyraider SH announced several years ago, I can entertain myself with the Sword until the SK kit arrives.

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 4

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

Damn, I just bought a Sword one from Kingkits, oh well, I'm sure it will be fine. 🤞

Steve.

If it is of the same standard as the RF, Steve, you will be fine. It will need a little tweaking for sure but will make up to a good build

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Sword kit is available now, so I shall be getting one.  SH kits have a very long gestation although I for one, am very, very pleased to see this, long overdue!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

Is Special Hobby regarded as that much better than Sword? Having built the Sword Lightning's and looking at the Meteor NF.14, they seem pretty good to me.

Well, it's always a matter of opinion and in my opinion, the answer is yes, SH kits are much better than Sword. 

Sword are very much a short run manufacturer albeit a very good one however, many of their details are rendered in resin.  I don't consider SH to be a short run manufacturer, they haven't really been for many years now.  Their kits are very much on a par with a lot of what we would consider mainstream manufacturers, the details in their kits are generally rendered in plastic, their surface detail is good and getting better.

So given a choice between a Sword and an SH kit of the same subject I would generally go with the SH kit unless it has fundamental flaws.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Robert said:

Looking at the fuselage halves, it looks like a Thunderflash to me. much more pointed than a `streak.

Regards

Robert

...the wings are definitely 'streak though!  Following the links to the original picture, it can be enlarged enough to make out the 'cut off' nose.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Wez said:

Well, it's always a matter of opinion and in my opinion, the answer is yes, SH kits are much better than Sword. 

Sword are very much a short run manufacturer albeit a very good one however, many of their details are rendered in resin. 

This doesn't skew for me: resin = quality, but you say Special Hobby is 'better'. 🤔

I recall having to re-scribe all the panel lines on my Sword Thunderflash each to there own & all that, wasn't that difficult but as it comes they are very shallow and the same looks on this as well. What I'm cheesed off with is the fact they've got the main wheels wrong - again! I'm certain they've got the outside diameter correct but the wheels have the wrong details moulded in. They depict the outside of the wheel (facing the undercarriage door) facing the wrong way. I'm sure I read somewhere they took reference from a museum airframe with the main wheels attached the wrong way round. If there's anyone into museum wrecks & relics out there I'm sure there's someone who can can confirm this. 

Well, having built two Sword RFs I know it can be built it to a good representation of the aircraft. Nothing is perfect, I guess. It will need refinement but that is modelling! However, if presented with a SH alternative I would probably go with that. 

On the panel line subject, I dont mind the fine lines. They are far more representative of the real aircraft.

Martin

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Wez said:

The Sword kit is available now, so I shall be getting one.  SH kits have a very long gestation although I for one, am very, very pleased to see this, long overdue!

After this they should re-design and re-issue the F-86H :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

This doesn't skew for me: resin = quality, but you say Special Hobby is 'better'. 🤔

Resin doesn't equal quality - quality resin equals quality. There's plenty of resin in some kits that's not as good as the plastic in others.

If this kit is the same quality as the SH Mirage III, I know where my money is going.

• Like 6

20 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Not always...

4 hours ago, Tbolt said:

Resin doesn't equal quality - quality resin equals quality. There's plenty of resin in some kits that's not as good as the plastic in others.

If this kit is the same quality as the SH Mirage III, I know where my money is going.

...what he said

4 hours ago, Tbolt said:

for me.... being the key part. The resin seat in the Sword FJ series being the best bit.