1/72 - Republic F-84F Thunderstreak by Special Hobby in 2023

KRK4m

2 hours ago, Tbolt said:

It looks like it does have a forward rake to me, but I guess you mean it should have more?

Yes ever so slightly. Im thinking a wedge of .5 or 1mm strip at the rear of the strut should do it. Ive been up close and personal with many F-84’s. The F’s seem to have an increased rake vs the earlier models. Right now it looks like a P-39 strut. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wonder if the issue is the length of the mainwheel legs? They may have been scanned and moulded from museum stock, meaning they were not under any real load (no engine, no fuel, no ordnance or tanks). To me, if anything , they look a tad too long but then we are fussing over a kit that we have all longed for and is essentially excellent! ;) (as much as we have seen so far!)

Martin

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

To me, if anything , they look a tad too long but then we are fussing over a kit that we have all longed for and is essentially excellent!

I agree Martin. If we get a long overdue, decent F-84F, we can surely sort U/C leg length and sit. After all, that what we do!

Bring it on I say!!

Terry

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Has the Sword kit turned out to be a bit of a dog then?

It's quite nice, especially compared to the earlier Italeri and Airfix kits. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Trenton guy said:

I have a couple and like them very much

Me too, at least in the box, starting to struggle with building 1/72 with eye problems and arthritic fingers, so fear mine might not get built either, and I'll probably have to pass on the SH kit too....

Keith

• Sad 2

23 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Has the Sword kit turned out to be a bit of a dog then?

Keith

Not at all but in comparison with the futue SH kit it is/will be inferior in terms of detail. In terms of accurate outline? Well, no, not great. I have two but they might end up with the grandchildren ;)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/24/2023 at 10:37 AM, RidgeRunner said:

Not at all but in comparison with the futue SH kit it is/will be inferior in terms of detail. In terms of accurate outline? Well, no, not great. I have two but they might end up with the grandchildren ;)

I have just started my Sword kit, I did find mention that the fuselage is 3.5mm short, any other major outline errors? My two references don’t have any drawings.

26 minutes ago, Robin-42 said:

I have just started my Sword kit, I did find mention that the fuselage is 3.5mm short, any other major outline errors? My two references don’t have any drawings.

Hi Robin, 

You will struggle to get good drawings. The best I know are from the German decal set and book by AirDoc. The Sword kit is short in the rear end just like their RF-84F. It depends how much that bothers you. I decided with my RF-84F that I would be more bothered about a botched extension than the fault. Otherwise is is an okay kit. I enjoyed building the RF but it has all the ususal Sword short run elements that need detailing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hi Robin, 

I” decided with my RF-84F that I would be more bothered about a botched extension than the fault.”

Funny, those are exactly my thoughts. I think if I parked a corrected fuselage model  beside a non-corrected one, could I even notice? Adding the length would be easy, matching the delicate scribed lines not so much.

I will build my Swords and get the SH one. I'm sure both will differ a few mm here and there from my Italeri and Airfix ones, and probably each in different areas, but life's too short.

Cheers,

Andre

Edited by Hook
  • Like 4

On 8/3/2023 at 8:46 AM, RidgeRunner said:

Yep, according our man in Texas @72modeler who has spoken to SH at the IPMS USA event they should be released in September… he didn't say what year, though!

Martin

Picky, picky, picky!

Mike

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Getting all restless about this

Join the club. I have a "lovely looking" PJ Productions F-84F in resin .................. trouble is it's just slightly underscale in some dimensions. Martin @RidgeRunner knows what I mean. 😞

Terry

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

Join the club. I have a "lovely looking" PJ Productions F-84F in resin .................. trouble is it's just slightly underscale in some dimensions. Martin @RidgeRunner knows what I mean. 😞

Terry

I know, I've put the resin kit together. Had primer on it for ages & it's waiting for me to complete it one day!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

I know, I've put the resin kit together. Had primer on it for ages & it's waiting for me to complete it one day!

I have my revised build schedule all ready ;) 

8 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

haven't even started any of my Sword kits yet! 😆

Neither have I ;)

8 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Terry

Absolutely, Terry. It is a shame because in the absence of new mould kits it is/was the best way to go for detail. It is just the scale issue that lets it down

• Like 1