Jump to content

Best tool for removing easily breakable parts ?


IanHx
 Share

Recommended Posts

You know the scenario -  1:72 joystick attached to runner in such a way that pressing down with a hobby knife/scalpel will exert enough force to snap the part instead of cutting it free.

What tool would you use instead ?  Vaguely recall from the Airfix tv show that they were using what looked like very narrow bladed shears or something.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tricky bits I use a razor saw. Top one is RB, bottom Tamiya. 

 

 

Razor Saws

 

 

Ray

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, IanHx said:

1:72 joystick attached to runner in such a way that pressing down with a hobby knife/scalpel will exert enough force to snap the part instead of cutting it free.

What tool would you use instead ?

A suggestion, a hot wire or knife,  one of those thing that used to used for carving expanded polystrene, or a pin mounted in a soldering iron are in a similar vein. 

Not tried it but should not stress the part, though heat could distort part if too close.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I will sometimes use a rotary tool with a fine cutting blade and cut the sprue "frame". That way I can take out the piece still attached and then I go in with nippers while holding the small part between my fingers. The sprue flies off without damage to the part.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

A suggestion, a hot wire or knife,  one of those thing that used to used for carving expanded polystrene, or a pin mounted in a soldering iron are in a similar vein. 

Not tried it but should not stress the part, though heat could distort part if too close.   

 

I think dynamite might shift it. I've never tried it but there is an outside chance that the blast might deform the house a little. 🤣

 

 

 

 

 

 

I'm sorry Troy, I can never resist the gift of a joke.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Completely agree @Ray_W's suggestion of a saw. The JLC saw is my 1st choice to remove fine parts or anywhere else I need to cut the sprue cleanly without any chance of collateral damage. A mitre box is also available.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Tricky bits I use a razor saw. Top one is RB, bottom Tamiya. 

 

 

Razor Saws

 

 

Ray

 

As Crocodile Dundee almost said, "That's not a Tamiya saw...

 

y4mZlQGPXYOuH7R7Q78dfXbNSBHzodCtJ3hBust3

 

..THIS is a Tamiya saw." 😆

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For the last year I've used a pair of Modelcraft side cutters which prior to that I never knew existed and they've been a revelation.  Clean and accurate cuts with no collateral damage or pressure causing parts to depart the scene in  a parabolic arc the way they used to.

 

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001AE5ZTQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sometimes I find it best to cut away the rest of the sprue nearby, so as to allow straight access to the part in question 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...