Hello and good evening everyone, I’m planning on doing a multi build of Spitfires now that Ive finished my USS Essex air wing build. I will be building three spitfires to start a Mk.XII and two Mk.Vb’s. Ho36yd3.jpg

The Mk.XII was a gift from a member and very overdue for a start. The two Mk.V’s will be a Malta build and a USN spitfire from operation overlord. 

Dennis

• Like 10

49 minutes ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

Very nice!  I've a set of decals for a VCS 7 Spit on a Fundekals sheet.  I'll never use them.  Let me know if they would be of help to you.

Yes of course, if your sure they are of no use. I will P/message you with my info. 

Hello Dennis,

I'm very interested to see your Mk.XII build, as I made a conversion joining Eduard Mk.VIII and the nose of an Airfix PR.XIX. My Mk.XII is currently at the paint shop.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mark.au said:

Well, you don’t do things by halves, do you?  And this thread isn’t even the half of it either!

Nope this makes 12 on my desk right now. 

29 minutes ago, Antti_K said:

Hello Dennis,

I'm very interested to see your Mk.XII build, as I made a conversion joining Eduard Mk.VIII and the nose of an Airfix PR.XIX. My Mk.XII is currently at the paint shop.

Cheers,

Antti

Hello and Thanks, it will mostly be out of box except for codes. I will be doing 595 Squadron for this build. If I can get an Airfix kit that will be either 41 Sq. or 91 Sq.

• Like 2

Good evening everyone… Well Im off and running on this build series. I did all the interior painting last night and sone basic assembly this afternoon. First up is the Malta based Mk.V. 9gi44fs.jpg

sn7On1C.jpg

XTIIN6z.jpg

Next up is the USN Mk.V. 

iKKRbcG.jpg

mEhgrT1.jpg

Jze4DFX.jpg

Last is a quick shot showing the two side by side. 

YR9vi8S.jpg

The USN still has the elastic band on it. The Malta gas a short shot under wing bit on the port side and will have some massive gaps to fill the other one was almost a perfect fit. Both are AZ Mk.V’s yet worlds apart in the fit dept. go figure ? The Spec.Hobby Mk.XII is all painted and will be assembled tonight to this stage. Nothing tomorrow as will be traveling to pick up my new pup. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or offer up any info ? 

Dennis

• Like 12

Proceeding at a pace with these, aren't you? :frantic: Both looking good already :clap: As for the inconsistencies in the fit, who knows? Maybe mold wear? Or one of them is a Friday afternoon job? :shrug:

Ciao

• Like 2

Watching with interest Dennis - I have a brace of Malta Mk.Vs in my near future so I look forward to seeing yours take shape!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/29/2022 at 12:15 PM, giemme said:

12?!?!?! :frantic: :frantic:  :D 

Following this too... :popcorn:

Ciao

So what ???

We are cousins....

Hello Cousin !!

Great idea for a great thread !!

I will search for the last Essex builds, look like I missed it....😕

USN Mk V on the D Day... Great minds think alike part 45 at least...

It's also a project for me...

I'm not sure that I have the SH Mk XII, but I'll fight with the Airfix one for sure....

I presume that the SH Seafire XV is also at the ready ?? Just beside the bench ??:whistle:

So may I take a seat ??

Sincerely...

CC

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

I presume that the SH Seafire XV

No but the Sword Seafire IIc, III, and XV are. Along with about 15 Eduard Mk.VIII’s & IX’s. 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/sword-sw-72129-seafires--1255565

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 1

Nice project Dennis , you can never have too many Spitfires and Seafires, got a Mk.IX and some Seafires near the top of the stash myself.

Nice Start interested to see how the AZ ones go together as had one of the AZ TR.9s and the front canopy fit was ghastly   just couldn't get right and ended up binning it.

Chris

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

interested to see how the AZ ones go together as had one of the AZ TR.9s and the front canopy fit was ghastly   just couldn't get right and ended up binning it.

Ive built a few of these, most have been decent with the worst part usually the wing to fuselage. Im sorry the canopies on yours didn't work out. 

• Like 1

Sorry about the delay's folks, bit of life interrupting as usual. I just picked this up today. SX3lPxq.jpg

I’m not sure if I will go with RAAF, Malta, SAAF, or USAAF ? Stay tuned to this channel for exciting updates. Not crazy sbout the USAAF markings in the kit but have plenty of A/M sheets to dig through. 

• Like 4

Good morning everyone … Well heres where we as of tonight. This is the Mk.XII, 5MpxwQ4.jpg

iI0eDf1.jpg

SEfi54e.jpg

and then we add the Vc Tropical. 
JWHC87f.jpg

So the family Photo now, from right to left we have the Vb USN VCS-7, then Vb tropical which will be QJ*B of 92 Squadron Desert air force. Airfix Vc tropical becomes the Malta build as Either GL*J or GL*W. Last up is the Mk.XII of 595 Sq. ItE7d7h.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or offer information for any of these build's. 

Dennis

• Like 5

Love a good Spitfire / Seafire build..

I'll hope on a seat by the bar if I may?

Here is one of mine - Seafire III from the Spotting Pool on D-Day

51984162230_42341d542c_c.jpg

Good luck with your builds

Edited by Grey Beema
Updated Photo link
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

Love a good Spitfire / Seafire build..

I'll hope on a seat by the bar if I may?

Here is one of mine - Seafire III from the Spotting Pool on D-Day

51984162230_42341d542c_c.jpg

Good luck with your builds

Shhh I have three of those (seafires) also, lets not wake them up. 😉 Welcome aboard with a very good looking build. 

Hey Dennis :)  

Looks like a miniature Castle Bromwich :D 

One minor tweak I usually apply to the AZ/KP spit cockpits is recreating the reinforcement bar between frame 11 and 12 at the rear of the cockpit with a bit of stretched sprue or plasticard.  I think the SH kit solves that with a PE part, at least they do in their Mk.V's. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Hey Dennis :)  

Looks like a miniature Castle Bromwich :D 

One minor tweak I usually apply to the AZ/KP spit cockpits is recreating the reinforcement bar between frame 11 and 12 at the rear of the cockpit with a bit of stretched sprue or plasticard.  I think the SH kit solves that with a PE part, at least they do in their Mk.V's. 

I do that as well but usually add it just before closing the canopy. It tends to get knocked off during the sanding, filling, & polishing phase. 

• Like 2