M3/M4 Medium Tank Reference

Lots of reference images here: http://the.shadock.free.fr/

The Sherman minutia page links to various recognition features by subtype and manufacturer.

You'll have to follow the links in tanks in France through various regions to see preserved examples (and a lot of wrecks) - lots of Shermans alongside other types.

• Like 2

Here's an excellent reference book for the M3 builders.

David Doyle's excellent book M3 Lee Grant. The Design Production and Service of the M3 Lee Medium Tank, the Foundation of America's Tank Industry. Hoppy brought it up on Trickyrich's thread and I thought it deserved a wider audience.

It's 470 large pages of information, with hundreds of black and white photos and a few in colour. There are hundreds of detail photos inside and out, taken during manufacture in the US. All the variants are described and illustrated. It's perhaps a little more detailed on the design and manufacture than the in-service aspects. I read it from cover to cover last year. It's well written and easy to digest. Unfortunately, it's over £40 in UK.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/M3-Lee-Grant-production-foundation/dp/0993564682

y4mC68qh_83TV-5DI-H7XEAFT5Ii74Yy726RSswA

(Only the cover photo is colourised and retouched in that ridiculous way, the ones inside are brilliant.)

• Like 3

There are thousands of books out there but for a starting point I can't rave about Dave Doyle's volumes enough. Listing HERE Enough information for most people without breaking the bank. 

Richard Hunnicutt's Sherman volume is a good overview of the whole Medium family but can be pricey. Many of the photos are reproduced rather small which can be a pain.

Currently the ultimate nuts and bolts Sherman book is Son of Sherman Vol. 1 Took a long time to appear but was worth the wait, it goes for really stupid money but a reprint is planned, apparently.

That aside Trackpad Publishing and Sabingamartin both have good photoalbums of Israeli and thus many postwar user's Shermans including Tom Gannon's books.

Between me and my mate we have about 6 shelf feet of Sherman books and I can honestly say those above get used far more than any other. Remember out of 69000 or so built there are likely 200000 different models to be made before duplicating.

• Like 2

I've asked this in the AFV Modelling, Armour chat section, but I'll ask here too ...

What colour were track links when they were welded to the vehicle as appliqué armour?

img_57-2.jpg?itok=OICfiIW9

Would they have been left in their natural colour, in a factory finish, or would they have been painted to match the vehicle?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

I've asked this in the AFV Modelling, Armour chat section, but I'll ask here too ...

What colour were track links when they were welded to the vehicle as appliqué armour?

img_57-2.jpg?itok=OICfiIW9

Would they have been left in their natural colour, in a factory finish, or would they have been painted to match the vehicle?

I can't answer your question, fully, but I can say that they are probably not painted to match the vehicle. Just matching the dust and grime covering the vehicle. 

I'm not sure if track shoes were painted at the factory, for British vehicles, but @Das Abteilung can probably answer your question.

• Like 1

That's a good question.  Spare track links were generally painted black.

But I don't imagine that track links used as armour were painted at all.  If they were then it would have been a colour appropriate to the base colour.  Used track links would be brownish so they wouldn't really have needed painting for colour and there was no real need to paint for preservation.  Being made from alloys containing manganese, rusting was not a particular issue.  A surface oxide did form but not in orangey rusty tones.  Initially a milk chocolate or milky coffee colour, changing to a dark chocolate or strong coffee color over time: months, even years. Something like this.  Note how the worn area has barely oxidised here even 80 years later.

spacer.png

If you are painting them on a US-supplied British tank, remember that we Brits by and large didn't have access to US OD paint so the greener SCC15 would have been used instead. 

On which subject remember that US OD No9 was not a green as some paint manufacturers represent.  Being made from ochre and black it was technically a brown - although at the greener end.  The only new Shermans supplied to the UK that would have been in the later greener 1944 shade of OD would be the IBs and IIAs used in Italy.  Potentially also some of the remanufactured IIs and Vs received later in 1944.

To my eye this is a good example of OD No9, despite being a recent repaint.

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thank-you @Das Abteilung, that answer makes sense.  I'll go with appropriate browns for the appliqué tracks, and SCC15 for the main body (Firefly, so remodelled by the British).

As to yellow ochre, that is an earth pigment, with its own, regional, variations (one pigment supplier,  Kremer, lists about 10 different ochres in their earth yellow section)

Here are a few more inspiring pictures for those who are interested 🙂
Of course the copyright belongs to the owner of the images...

spacer.png

spacer.png

like a Matchbox Dio base 😄

spacer.png

souvenir hunters

spacer.png

the well-known sandbag armor

spacer.png

the fastest way out of the football stadium 😁

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone .. I just found this photo in my files. Not sure where I got it but it looks like an M4a2 with some oddities ?

AZXwoxL.jpg

The front appears to have the older small hatches ? Yet the turret has both commanders and a loaders hatch, 5 fuel caps, and a folding shelf hanging off the rear plate ? Am I wrong in Identifying this as an M4a2, or is it an oddball ? 

• 2 weeks later...