Eduard 1/48 Bf 109G-4 R6 Trop ***Finished***

2 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Hi Steve,

A very interesting scheme you have going there. I like your call on the tail planes. It's going to be spectacular. Mmm 🤔 Thinking about that, I must join the Hellcat STGB so I can use the line "Spectacular Non-Specular".

Ray

Thanks Ray, it’s definitely an eye catching scheme - JG53 seemed to do a line in locally applied camouflage, so there’s quite a bit of variation as far as I have found out. It also allows for an element of subjective interpretation (thankfully 😆).

I’ve got Hellcats in an eBay search so will join you in that GB - I’m just trying to decide between a USN or RN scheme (although I’ve not entirely written off a French or Uruguayan machine either). I quite like the challenge that a single colour will present. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Steve 1602 said:

so will join you in that GB

I had not signed up for the Hellcat GB with a couple of 109's and a high wing build to do. Then there is the new Tamiya F-4B about to hit the bench and with a Phantom GB not far away. On this timing might be perfect. Getting an F6F done may be challenging. If time permits I'll be jumping in.

30 minutes ago, Steve 1602 said:

I quite like the challenge that a single colour will present. 

I had a lot of fun with executing a single colour VMF F4U. One of my favourite 2020 builds. I remain very tempted to do a similar scheme F6F working off lessons learned.

In the mean time, matters 109.

Ray  

• Like 2

Thanks Col!

Not too much to report other than application of a gloss coat yesterday which I left to harden overnight. I sprayed with the Deluxe materials “looks like glass” and I’m pretty happy with the way that performed. I added a little water to the “looks like glass” but it sprayed really well.

I also assembled and painted all the final elements like the undercarriage and spinner, so everything is ready now for final assembly.

On to the fun bit shortly - decals! 

Steve

51252627713_cca9b1ffdd_b.jpg

• Like 11

So in between watching a bit of football with fully ‘interested neutral’ status, I managed to apply the main decals this evening. They seem to have settled down pretty well. Plan is to leave them overnight and then tackle the stencilling tomorrow- although I’ll be a bit selective about how much stencilling I use. All going well, it’ll be flat coat, final assembly and weathering and then hopefully completion over the weekend. 

51256533324_d1d35055d4_b.jpg

I definitely feel another 109 coming on once this one is done!

Steve

• Like 11

53 minutes ago, Steve 1602 said:

I definitely feel another 109 coming on once this one is done!

They're pretty addictive, aren't they?  She's looking fine, Steve.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

They're pretty addictive, aren't they?  She's looking fine, Steve.

Thanks Owen  - they are extremely addictive! So far I’ve acquired 4 books and I have plans for at least one more for this group build! 

18 hours ago, MattG said:

Lovely paint job, this looks fantastic! I might have to build a desert 109 next myself!

Matt

Thanks Matt - I really like the desert scheme - something about it really suits the lines of the 109.

All the decals have been completed this evening - I was going to apply a final gloss coat, but ran out of time this evening. Hopefully I’ll get that completed tomorrow and then I’m on the road to final assembly last details. 

Steve

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Steve 1602 said:

I have plans for at least one more for this group build! 

That would be great; I'm in a similar position, time allowing.  I have a big pile of 109 kits that need building and this would seem like the ideal reason to build some.

• Like 2

109 looks great!

Just started on my first Eduard 109 an F so it's been really useful and informative reading through your wip, thanks!

Ordered the eduard canopy masks and etch belts but hadn't seen the instrument panel... the lack of locating tabs for the fuselage looks slightly annoying but otherwise looks a really nice kit.

(Only just primed the cockpit parts so some way to go yet!)

Atb

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

I have a big pile of 109 kits that need building and this would seem like the ideal reason to build some.

Definitely - that’s the great thing about group builds; lots of encouragement to do more! Plus stash reduction always seems to be popular with long-haired Chiefs of Staffs…! 

9 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

109 looks great!

Just started on my first Eduard 109 an F so it's been really useful and informative reading through your wip, thanks!

Thanks Darryl - glad it’s been of use. I’ve not built one before and have been really pleased with how well it all goes together. Look forwards to seeing your F! 

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

Nice build steve, its turned out really well, love the scheme

Thanks Hewy. I’m happy with how it’s going so far! 

Busy day today so all I really managed was another coat of ‘looks like glass’ to seal the decals and this evening I’ve been liberally applying Flory wash.

I’ll leave that to dry a little and then start about removing it. Getting there! 

51260812594_a3a36a6c49_b.jpg

• Like 10

That's looking really good in it's desert camouflage Steve,  :thumbsup: I've not built a desert one before that's why I've had to buy the paint.  I'm looking forward to starting the Hasegawa kit next. :like:

• Thanks 1

Thanks Bob - I’m enjoying watching progress with your Tamiya G - it’s looking excellent. 

Last night I took off most of the panel wash and this lunchtime I was able to spray a Matt varnish and get the undercarriage fitted.

Just final details to fit, detail painting here and there along with final weathering. I’ve yet to decide whether to try exhaust staining with the airbrush or with pastels. A deciding factor might be that an o ring in my airbrush nozzle has just split; I’ve bodged it with some plumbing tape until I can source a replacement but pastels may be the safer option for now.

51261015532_7ac8da4405_b.jpg

51261015547_c1ffb28242_b.jpg

• Like 7

6 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Looking really smart Steve, this is a great scheme.

Thanks Craig. It’s a good choice by Eduard I think - just a little different from the norm 😎 

I think I’m pretty much done now. Everything attached tonight, some fun with pigments and pastels and I think I’ll call it a day.

The final thing now is the canopy restraint wire and the radio wires which I’ll try to do tomorrow. It’s such a nice kit to build. 

Some phots tonight of the finished article - I’ll get some better ones in daylight once the rigging is done.

Thanks everyone for all the positive comments and advice with this one. 

Steve

51263646015_ca008e1118_b.jpg

51262801238_84ceb05839_b.jpg

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Steve 1602 said:

Thanks Craig. It’s a good choice by Eduard I think - just a little different from the norm 😎 

I think I’m pretty much done now. Everything attached tonight, some fun with pigments and pastels and I think I’ll call it a day.

The final thing now is the canopy restraint wire and the radio wires which I’ll try to do tomorrow. It’s such a nice kit to build. 

Some phots tonight of the finished article - I’ll get some better ones in daylight once the rigging is done.

Thanks everyone for all the positive comments and advice with this one. 

Steve

51263646015_ca008e1118_b.jpg

51262801238_84ceb05839_b.jpg

Very nice seems JG 53 were quite adept at home made camouflage patterns. Outside of JG 26 and JG 27 I think they tie for 3rd with JG 54 as one of my favorite units. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Very nice seems JG 53 were quite adept at home made camouflage patterns. Outside of JG 26 and JG 27 I think they tie for 3rd with JG 54 as one of my favorite units. 

Thanks Dennis - there are certainly lots of variations with JG53 aircraft. It does allow for some unusual options.

I think JG27 will feature in my next build, so watch this space 😄

4 hours ago, modelling minion said:

The pastel weathering has worked very nicely, looking forward to the finished pics with the aerial wires.

Thanks Craig! Pics to follow shortly!

• Like 2

I’m calling it done! Radio wires and canopy wire were put in place with EZ line, painted gunmetal and then some PVA blobs for the insulators(?)

I really enjoyed building this kit and really recommend it - the only additions to the weekend boxing were Montex canopy masks and an Eduard Look set with an IP and belts. 

Time to throw another 109 into the group build I think!

Thanks to everyone for watching and thanks especially to @Col. @Corsairfoxfouruncle @vppelt68 and @Enzo Matrix for making it happen. 

I’ll stick it in the gallery soon.

Steve

51264604375_dec1556b50_b.jpg

51263562246_c3907be15d_b.jpg

51262832772_7525131b40_b.jpg

51264605195_b945d8b770_b.jpg

51262832862_baaa3971a3_b.jpg

51264307459_6ca03eb35e_b.jpg

51263562536_54a468b79b_b.jpg

51263562596_315a75f0ba_b.jpg

51263565201_c86d0449bc_b.jpg

51263760363_a5e2ab6444_b.jpg

51263757818_12b72fc62d_b.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

• Steve 1602 changed the title to Eduard 1/48 Bf 109G-4 R6 Trop ***Finished***
1 hour ago, vppelt68 said:

That build looks sweet! Congratulations Steve, she´s a beauty :thumbsup:. V-P

50 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

That's looking bonzer.  Love it.

Thanks both!

Pictures are now up in the gallery

• Like 2

Hi Steve,

Excellent rendition. Very special. It has been a pleasure watching it come together.

Ray

• Thanks 1