Two for one; Tamiya Fiat 500 and Fiat Abarth 695 esse esse

Here is the next model to cross my workbench.  Or rather, here are the next models.  One of the joys of returning to the hobby after a long absence is that I keep discovering cars I like that were produced in 1:24 kit form (which is my preferred scale).  The Tamiya Fiat Abarth 695 "esse esse" was one such happy discovery last year and I should have known that there would also be a standard Fiat 500 kit out there; I found two of the Fiat kits for sale on eBay recently (you wait ages for a rare kit to turn up, etc. etc.).  I knew the Abarth was complete, the Fiat was sold as complete but with some parts off the sprues, so my logic is that by building both kits together I can see what's missing (if anything, so far it does indeed seem to all be there).

I love the Fiat 500 because it is so small yet well engineered and because it reminds me of holidays to Rome, where the classic 500 is still a common sight.

Work has been underway for a couple of weeks as I'm priming and painting, particularly the bodywork, so here is the story so far:

y4mKKkUphiC04pEkGpdS6mONCFJw_PKpfEeyXfHy

Obligatory box art photo.  Unusually for me I'm sticking with the boxes for colour inspiration; on the Fiat I love the combination of blue bodywork with the red and white seats and I've found Fiat Capri blue, which I like even if it probably isn't 100% authentic.  The Abarth is getting a coat of Ford Dove Grey, which is a light grey that doesn't seem a million miles away from the colour in the picture.

y4mF6i-3F9HekPzvSXI16oczzY-BvaN9hfYCd5UD

This is the box for the Abarth, the differences between the two kits are in the black "B" sprue, the chrome sprues (I think), the tyres (wider) and the decals.

y4mma-jVoA6q1-WQxW-icI68q0aXRDHP8g_Buzi5

The body is tiny.

y4m-J5cdPVbJWXn0YL_koS82CYDcpJCKeOttzvSh

The good thing is that mould lines are very faint and easily sanded away.

y4mkteCjTCxTeAAaxfqKWNbD1nncz1MM38Knb4nO

To cover its wide tyres the Abarth gets a set of wheel arch extensions.  The instructions suggest attaching them after painting but it seemed more sensible to glue them on and spray them with the body as they are supposed to be one colour.

y4m5x6L26n3_HVWDcuhQ64sqky69NcpoJXzWS5TJ

This is the standard 500 after a coat of primer, checking for the fit of the engine cover and floor.

y4mF8DCkkjqyXWeHtMyEFcxRIFR9neiW4GPBeCfz

Abarth at primer stage, the fit of the wheel arches isn't great (possibly my fault not the kit's), so a little filling is necessary.  It's annoying that it's easier to see once primer is on, the black plastic tends to hide the gap next to the white plastic of the body.

y4m2oTVlHokdcwuT7r3Pjvzx4mZ2hyY8UB-CQUXo

My solution was some automotive filler primer that came in a pen-type applicator with a fine nib; this was perfect for running a bead of filler around the join.

y4mJyyVZJSHY1XifMcBzp94JC9Rr1_QtXdj8pt7a

First coat of paint on the Abarth.  Annoyingly the can ran out so I'll have to buy some more.  I'll give the body a rub down before applying the second coat; it is quite a tricky shape to sand, there's lots of raised edges to burn through if you're not careful.

y4m_z02t9vIXMknV-aBNSwb9w5AFrmaUtcdDKN90

Looking a bit more purple under the lights, the standard 500 also has its first coat and needs rubbing down but I'll leave the paint a few days to harden first.  As there's plenty of painted metal inside a real 500 I've painted the inside of the roof and pillars on both cars.

y4mgb_7hEYwNdihjOibKGJB_Sip3nJRBYXpOyAs6

Floor pan and rear bulkhead are common to both cars.  The white area is where the part was held for priming, it won't be visible on the finished car as it is under the luggage compartment (which doesn't open).  Note how Tamiya has different mounting holes for driver's and passenger's seats so you can't put the wrong seat in the wrong place, at least in theory).  You can also see the spoon-shaped throttle pedal moulded into the floor.  This is a bit disappointing but I doubt it will notice on the finished car.  For the standard car I'll paint the floor Tamiya Nato black to represent the rubber floor mat.  on the Abarth the floor will be body colour.

y4mO7_OhCyKYtBgGqsjj8IQx0PXfpAOo1NEhyVC3

Other side of the floor, plenty of crisp detail here.

y4mzQJnAvpv_waM2vHaXalDdkjrnfezaOPx2k2wz

First part of the instructions is to assemble the twin-cylinder engine; here are the main engine parts painted flat aluminium.  Fiat engine is on the left, the Abarth (on the right) has a bigger sump and different rocker cover.

y4mfJIAjSTWEZLLd1LMxz5XPrOBT4U7Rbm7jSk-t

Painted engines next to one primed gearbox and one unprimed, the gearbox halves fit together so well it's practically a snap-fit.  these parts are identical and interchangeable in kit form.  You can also see the fan/dynamo drive pulley assembly; I thinned this slightly to reduce the thickness of the fan belt.

y4mo5m8gEriECJRV33OjeeXx5-8jb03yFA6WGRjD

Focus isn't great in this picture but you get the idea about the engines, standard on the left and Abarth on the right. The instructions suggest that the right-hand (as in this view) part of the standard engine should be in aluminium but all my research pictures have show the engine cowling painted black so that's what I've gone for.  I'll add plug leads although it's annoying that there is no representation of the spark plugs or their holes in the moulding, it probably wasn't practical to incorporate that detail into the mould.

y4mQOBWqzoI2LEleC3rDFHSZgnlFplr6h2gxV-hZ

The seats of the standard car are two-tone with white top panels and piping with the main part of the seat in red (my choice), tan or grey.  To get the two-tone colour scheme I started painting the seats white; I'm going with gloss now and I'll tone it down with satin varnish later.

y4muqsngwjNw8jZAxKRjTAW7X2nkrkEsi28wucwr

Seats masked up, I then gave them another coat of white to seal the masking tape.  Tomorrow I'll spray red primer followed by red paint.

That's about it, but stay tuned for the next instalment.

• Like 14

Hi John,

Great start, I had the same problem with the join between the body and flared arches.   I got round it in the end by using some black wire on the finished model to look like some rubber trim between the two pieces.   

p?i=26e9bdbabe99c7ed6df143503d42026b

The Tamiya kit is vastly superior to the Gunze one.  Especially the one I bought as it came with a smashed roof, so I converted that one to a Jolly!

• Like 8

Really good start on those two John, will follow your progress with interest. I had both of those kits bought from new, sold them for peanuts and now I'd like to build them they're tending to go for silly money unless you're lucky! Still, not as if I don't have enough kits to last another couple of lifetimes!

2 hours ago, johnlambert said:

My solution was some automotive filler primer that came in a pen-type applicator with a fine nib; this was perfect for running a bead of filler around the join.

That sounds interesting, never seen one of those, do you have a link to them by any chance?

Keith

Hi John

I’ll be following this with great interest as I am the proud owner of a 1969 (scale 1:1) Fiat 500L myself. I also had a 500F, as the one you are building, but I sold that one some years ago. Let me know if you need any references, I got tons of books on the subject incl. Abarth’s. 

Looking very good so far 👍

Cheers

Johnny b 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Really good start on those two John, will follow your progress with interest. I had both of those kits bought from new, sold them for peanuts and now I'd like to build them they're tending to go for silly money unless you're lucky! Still, not as if I don't have enough kits to last another couple of lifetimes!

That sounds interesting, never seen one of those, do you have a link to them by any chance?

Keith

Mine came in a three-part set that I got for my full-size car but I assume this is the same sort of thing.  It comes with a dual-purpose applicator, unscrew for brush or pull the cap off for the nib.

• Thanks 1

Good work so far John. I had no idea Tamiya did this.

Fiat 500's always remind me of summer holidays to Shoreham when I was 13 with my mate who's mum had a white one. We'd all pile in surrounded by luggage and their dachshund and head down the A34 from Leamington. Took ages but on one memorable trip we overtook a Porsche 911, downhill it must be said and he was probably suffering engine trouble! I think we two car mad schoolboys could be heard cheering and laughing for miles around.

Dave

• Like 2

Lucky to get those two kits for a reasonable price - thought I was on for one about a year ago then got outbid. Not a disaster though as the money went on a very well priced Simil'R Focus instead :)

Looks like you've made a good start here. I can very much sympathise with you on sanding all those curves - psyching myself up for a similar job at the moment as well.

• Thanks 1

I missed out on bidding for the Abarth a while back. Went for silly money (About 23 quid, I think!).

I just forgot to place a bid! 
Now they are rarer than Rocking-Horse poo...

Cheers,

Alan.

• Like 1

Nice work so far!  I’d be tempted to do either, my mum had two of these; the first was an early type two tone green with suicide doors which decided to fold right back one day on a corner when the lock gave way and the rubber restraint perished instantly!  Not surprising as the lemon green over hand-brushed dark green colour scheme was presumably to hide the galloping tin worm.  This 500 was replaced by a fairly new and respectable* red one with normal doors.  

My sister and I loved the little car which was child sized - driving round standing on the passenger seat with top half out the sun roof (!!!!) or hopping it on the drive with the starter lever (no keys needed!).  Dad loved driving it too and regularly demonstrated clutchless changes were possible if you timed it right i.e. timed it when mum wasn’t around.

i later had a 126 which was marvellous fun too, the only car that had to be driven flat out virtually full time ( if you wanted to reach anywhere in the same century you started out).

* okay fairly respectable, given that owning any foreign car in the 60s or early 70s meant you were somewhat “fly” and must be slightly suspect!

• Like 3

On 01/02/2021 at 16:12, Toftdale said:

Hi John,

Great start, I had the same problem with the join between the body and flared arches.   I got round it in the end by using some black wire on the finished model to look like some rubber trim between the two pieces.   

p?i=26e9bdbabe99c7ed6df143503d42026b

The Tamiya kit is vastly superior to the Gunze one.  Especially the one I bought as it came with a smashed roof, so I converted that one to a Jolly!

That is a really neat solution.

Thanks for all the replies; it's great hearing everyone's Fiat 500 stories.

Today has mostly been spray painting, which is necessary but doesn't feel like progress.

y4mrofw9ggtvbf763jBaQFj8T1wRB-HUB9dD1vH0

Metallic parts; steel for the exhausts and springs, aluminium for the Abarth's wheels.

y4meFV6ehNRq2S1bwaLY6Q7MkOiiA6qfohjPtfG8

Red primer for the standard Fiat's interior parts.  The front suspension dampers are also supposed to be red and are moulded into the front wishbones so I've masked them up.

y4mIAu6tnsMhxv7y4HzCefBXb5moIuU_G_Wdz7bJ

Satin black for the Abarth interior parts.

y4mWWBmsOnijNm_SGUMCjgw5GH1inbpui3dD3RoN

Some fine grey primer on the Fiat's number plate, wheels, folded sunroof and centre tunnel (plus a bonus vice).  I'm going for sunroof open to better show off the interior when it's done.

y4mkp63FdX33enQYBic-19ONoV-EAPeEyNw_scTu

Fiat 500 engine, I noticed that the air cleaner should have a blue label.  It's a pity that Tamiya doesn't include this on the decal sheet, so I painted a metallic blue rectangle on the air cleaner.  The position is a bit off because I masked the air cleaner up upside down.  The dynamo pully should be black, but I sort of prefer it in aluminium.

y4mhzxrR908HUTevfVskNtmtaJ0qwhcsJimZy6tO

I'm waiting for some fine wire to do the spark plugs but I've added a rubber tube from the fuel pump to the carburettor.  This little detail is really satisfying.  You can see the holes drilled roughly where the spark plugs should be.  There's also a little more detail to add to the air cleaner and carburettor assembly.  If you are building one of these don't glue the air cooling duct in place before doing the plugs and pipes as it will make access much more difficult.  I nearly made that mistake but stopped myself in time.

The Abarth motor has a slightly bigger carburettor and I think doing the fuel line might get in the way of connecting the spark plugs, so annoyingly that will have to wait.  Fingers crossed my wire turns up tomorrow.

• Like 6

A couple more quick photos from last night.

y4ma3bbpadGEIdW0dx9eZIOl2hY8jYZrwDSutU-h

Test fitting the engine in the "boot".

y4mChnSeeYaoJaHPyOgBPu8AN3MnY6Gd6HuBgLSm

Checking the fit of the engine cover, I think some over-spray on the hinges is spoiling the fit slightly.  It's not bad but it's  not great either, although I checked pictures of the real thing and the engine cover does overlap the bodywork.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, keefr22 said:

From what I remember John, Abarths were almost always driven with the engine cover open.

Nice work on the motors.

Keith

I assume this was for cooling, but it also had the added bonus of looking cooler 😎 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, klubman01 said:

Something like this.

spacer.png

I saw this a few years ago (whilst working in Spain) at the Historic F1 and Classic Car display at Jerez race circuit.

Trevor

But isn't this the Abarth based on the slightly larger 600 ?  Actually I'm definite that is a 600 shell which is longer and the lights are different.  The open lid was needed as the engine might be up to 1000cc!  Could even be a Seat 600 base as it's Spanish,  they look virtually the same.

Lots of photos of 595ss online with open lids in various ways, I'm wondering if they are all copying some extreme old racer rather than stock, but it would be handy to find a period picture!  By comparison my ancient Polistil diecast 595 Abarth had the normal 500 lid hinged at the bottom.

Nothing terribly exciting to report for today's efforts.

y4mgXaPsXmJjC5oWeFB6m6n3mnnVmpux5C4L5XCE

Wheels, Abarth and standard.  The Abarth wheels have been clear coated, they might get a light wash to help bring out the details.  The standard wheels have been painted with a generic Halfords silver.

y4mZrdzVFLnBDXeWT7v4yWM59Xtyz3MNLwDnZuK9

Fiat interior components painted Ford Rosso Red.  The door panels will need masking up to paint the body-colour parts.

y4mEC-IAAA7txpmOiSmG2Jbpzm4P0ffY5OXCT8Ip

Suspension parts; the ones on the right need a bit more black paint, but they won't be that visible on the finished models.

y4mUCLghso_k6FoUD8mf2MQz6t0a1bzyCwTRzTK8

Abarth interior side panels, the masking wasn't perfect so a little tidying up is necessary.

y4mzQIv3g2geV_chbuNIlKWbjRiEkfIsqh223n7x

Fiat exhaust parts, the headers are slightly lighter than the downpipes.

y4mQ_cRsWTWlKlGcAHVYFUybGqbLqouuuCZuyVNt

Similar situation with the Abarth exhausts.

y4mqXKHKSX266wO4-hF_hqL_MTYjqp7hHa9ROzES

Talking of engine covers, this replica had its boot hinges mounted on extended brackets; I assume it was done on one car and lots of people copied it.  I'm not aiming to recreate this look.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, malpaso said:

But isn't this the Abarth based on the slightly larger 600 ?  Actually I'm definite that is a 600 shell which is longer and the lights are different.  The open lid was needed as the engine might be up to 1000cc!  Could even be a Seat 600 base as it's Spanish,  they look virtually the same.

Yes, this is the 600 based car, but the principal of an open engine cover remains the same.

Trevor

Not quite as much progress today as I would have liked.

y4mwnzess3442oDCVDuIBUZGC6b--WjDgXH-Acd-

Interior parts, the two-tone seats need a little tidying up.  Having checked pictures of real 500s, the inner wings at the back should be trimmed to match the rear seat.

y4mIX_bGWdIVnYU-jdLp62HcG93jvLjXJa69_-zx

Masking up so the inner wings can be sprayed, I'm not worried about getting too close as this area will be under the back seat.

y4mi4XTK74eVPbihEVSfWb4M3evIT-E2_UJSWYlv

Interior side panels masked up.

y4mDdd_Om_u1C21GNeIk_jLC8cxBr23RR_8qhU91

I rubbed down the bodies ready for more painting.

y4mDdd_Om_u1C21GNeIk_jLC8cxBr23RR_8qhU91

y4m8RM6AzWSt5Rj37uncmpRmyBKopOy0VK5q0EY0

Some annoying burn through on the blue one.

y4mRmveON5ckCxLU_vjEXXghiwEwThFcRCq96NiB

I also spotted a scratch in the plastic on the sill, so I had to sand it back and smooth it, so it'll need priming again.

y4mYzP7De23bVQuJnJUx_clH11MpM6ldGf0Rd092

In more positive news, a roll of wire arrived.  This was linked on cmatthewbacon's Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost build, I thought it might be a better size than the 0.5mm wire I used previously.

y4m1KgDdKlj67eXs-RYjAsuxBnFmiSY8BrTVv-OV

All the pictures I've seen have showed the ignition leads passing through an outer sheath.  Fortunately I had some rubber tube that would take the scale ignition leads (it's probably over-size, but it's the best I could do).

y4mF8xR5spmuf33CW1eMsMOZHK5vwoqEh_luKpdR

I thought it would be easier to thread the wire through the tube before it's fitted to the model.

y4mJfUP4GmrEK4P1fZO0Wo_l0jmgJbGmd-1RFV0i

I drilled some locating holes in the cylinder head, but I don't have a bit fine enough to drill out the distributor cap.

y4mm2pdpe_c6K9sVl99_M3JLYHUXcnVUK3Q0VVVb

Some slightly thinner rubber tube was used for the fuel line between the pump and carburettor.  After taking this photo I spotted that one of the HT leads had come off the distributor and I've since re-glued it.

I'm not exactly sure why I bother doing this, as the engine won't often be seen on the finished model, but it's nice to know it's there.

• Like 4