1/43 MEA Lotus 7

Hi folks, since no one has objected so far, here's another post of a model I built a while ago.

This is a kit by Mea kit43, a French company with a quirky approach to models (they also make 43rd scale motorbikes, I have a Norton Commando waiting in the stash).

I thought this one was sufficiently interesting to warrant its own post. I've included some in progress pics here as it's not a WIP. 

Here's what you get in the box.

Too much photo etch.

IMG-1666.jpg

1 bag of tiny resin.
IMG-1667.jpg

White metal wheels with more Flash than a comic book convention.
IMG-1668.jpg

Headlights and wires
IMG-1669.jpg

2 bags of tiny parts.
IMG-1670.jpg

IMG-1671.jpg

Basically you assemble the chassis from photo etch parts, it makes for a very accurate chassis, but it is fiddly. I soldered the parts rather than glued them as I wanted to be sure it would stay intact.
IMG-1680.jpg

Rear suspension and axle assembly installed, springs over white metal dampers, white metal axle and another piece of photo etch for the rear bulkhead.
IMG-1691.jpg

The side panels are also photo etch, some very delicate bending was require to get them to sit properly.
IMG-1695.jpg

More bent photo etch for the rear panel and white metal parts for the front suspension. 
IMG-1705.jpg

This is the point at which I had clearly lost my mind, I thought it would be good to and some wiring detail, so we have plug leads, battery leads, throttle cable and brake pipes. I don't know what I was thinking. Seats and transmission tunnel were resin, piping was just a hand painted white line.
IMG-1755.jpg

The nose cone did not fit at all, completely the wrong shape.
IMG-1761.jpg

Much better.
IMG-1770.jpg

The kit came with the swept wings, which are probably correct for this model, but i've always liked the look of the cycle wing, some plasticard, putty, wire and a little swearing and done.
IMG-1774.jpg

Just need to spray, polish and we're done. 
IMG-1836.jpg

IMG-1838.jpg

IMG-1839.jpg

IMG-1845.jpg

For all the 24th, 12th and 8th scale folks out there, that's a 6 inch steel rule and a 10ml pot of Tamiya paint, just to give you an idea of how tiny this thing is.
IMG-1853.jpg

Thanks for looking, more to come, probably take a few days off posting now, I'm having flashbacks to fitting plug leads on a 1/43 Ford Xflow.

Cheers - Rab

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

That is extraordinary. I was looking for the 1/43 scale Colin Chapman in the background as it could easily be a full scale build photographed from a distance!

Phil

Thanks for the comments folks, not the most complex kit I've done (that would be the Tameo 158) but when bought the kit I had no idea that I'd have to build the chassis first.

As I am now in the early stages of middle age eyesight degradation I'm pretty sure I'd need a magnifier head band to do that kind of stuff now ;)

Rab

That's incredible, I love the intricate, photo-etched chassis and you must be mad to wire up an engine in that scale, but the result speaks for itself.  I'm glad you posted some pictures of the build as you'd never guess that all that detail was hidden under the skin.

Thanks for all the comments folks, much appreciated, although I think the level of detail here pales in comparison with some of the other builds on this forum, I'm learning so much just reading through old wips. 

I either need to get a lathe or a 3d printer I think.

18 hours ago, peekay said:

There's no way I could build something so complex and so small - at least not with such a great result as you've achieved.

You're very kind, but I think you're underestimating your abilities. It really is just a matter of patience, good lighting, a steady hand and, in my case, a magnifier 😎

I really need to get my finger out and get building again, I've got a few kits with similar detail levels that I'm itching to build. 

Thanks to everyone here for all the positive comments. You really are a lovely bunch.

Rab

• Like 1