Adrian's Boeing Matchbox P12E

I chose this kit as I remember it was my favourite build as a kid. I bought it in Anerley, south London at my favourite shop. It was only small and mainly sold sweets and boring newspaper - but occasionally would have a Matchbox kit in the window. I always remember the box and have bought a P12E of the same vintage.

IMG_1076

IMG_1082

IMG_1078

As a result of the current situation I am living with my girlfriend and her ten year old son. I've got him in to modelling and he likes to build kits quickly. So did I as a kid but remember painting this one properly. My aim is to start and finish this build on the first day - Tomorrow. Watch this space !

• Like 19

A great choice Adrian!

I remember well building the same kit and really enjoying it, this and Matchbox's Helldiver were the first biplane kits that I completed successfully so I have fond memories of them both.

Finished in one day though! Even our blitzbuilds last for 3 days! plenty of room for another 80 odd builds in the GB for you then at that rate. :) 

• Like 1

First break for paint to dry. It took two hours to clean parts whilst on sprue. Disaster with Gunze paint on one side of fuselage so wiped it off with isopropyl and will repaint.

IMG_1093

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Hewy said:

Hello adrian, its not rushing, these things were designed to be blasted together,all the best (does that build time include rigging)

Hewy, The rigging is basic so if my eyesite holds at the end of the day will try.

• Like 2

The 2 things that immediately struck me about this kit was that it was tiny and that, for once, the 2 colour moulding meant that you really didn't need to paint it 😃

The only other Matchbox kit like that was the prototype Alpha Jet. 

It's a wee beauty though. Watching with much nostalgia.

John 

• Like 2

Hi Adriam, what is a deal with the watch? Rushing? 
I notice that kits we use to make as  kids have shrieked. They also not that sophisticates as we remember it. Funny.  

Adrian's 'quick and dirty masking method

1) Photograph box. put in computer. change size so its about right. then print

IMG_1095

2) Put masking tape upside down on image.

IMG_1096

3) Cut around shape. Remove bits of tape. stick on fuselage.

IMG_1097

4) For other side, simply turn photocopy upside down. Used sliced edges to help guide black marker so it shows through masking tape. Then repeat process.

IMG_1098

5) At least it gives me a guide for multiple coats of red

IMG_1101

• Like 8

A lovely little kit this. It epitomizes Matchbox's USP of "coloured kits without painting" and the engineering involved in how the little kit goes together is very well done. Looking forward to it all done up and pretty.

Mike.

• Like 1

DONE

Twelve and a bit hours. That's it basically complete. All the bells and whistles - including STRINGING !  Tomorrow I'll deal with the townend ring issue and work out how to paint it. Decals need a bit of attention too.  But for now I'm having a BEER

IMG_1109

IMG_1104

IMG_1106

IMG_1108

• Like 12

6 minutes ago, Dansk said:

I’m sure the models we made as kids fast didnt look that good!

nice one, the rigging looks great too. 👍

Thanks Dansk - I wasn’t going to do any rigging but Hewy suggested it !! 

Very nice, and quick too! Some of us haven’t even got the box open yet. Seems a bit rotten of Matchbox to show a yellow cowling on the box art and then put it on the not-yellow sprue!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Nice.

Much better than the one I built - I think it was when they were fiddling around with plastic cement to cut back on "glue sniffing" - smelled nice but was rubbish at sticking plastic so mine fell apart after a short while.

Pete