Airfix Lockheed Hudson

I got back to PPP for this round of filling. May need a tiny bit of sanding under the tail but otherwise mostly wiped off with a damp tissue:

4188-B08-D-C3-E8-458-C-AB32-6-E43-E32303

The nacelle fronts have rather a lot of upthrust, which matches neither plans nor photos, so sanding ahoy:

C7-BF9553-A7-C1-4-B35-A67-B-454-A82171-B

• Like 12

3 hours ago, Adrian Hills said:

But don’t we just love an old Airfix

Hmmm. Let me think about that! I remember being less than impressed with it as a boy

3 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Getting ever closer to the painting stage

I've started painting the underside in Sky. Very bright in large quantities - I may cut it back with a bit of very light grey to make it more eyeball-friendly!

23 minutes ago, zebra said:

a lot of very impressive modelling going on here

Between Trevor's list and my one there's been a lot to fix!

• Like 3

Well, a bit of a surprise today. The propeller hubs on this thing are massively wide, so I have been set to make my own replacements (I have no suitable spares). This morning I measured some photos to establish the ratio of the inside diameter of the cowling to the diameter of the fairing on the front of the spinner. The fairing is 20% of the width of the cowling opening. The model parts have exactly the same ratio! The collar holding the blades is a little thicker on the model, but it is all painted black on the real thing so I hope that will slim it down visually. I do need to re-shape the paddle shaped blades to give them a more realistic taper. The prop diameter matches the real thing at 10 foot 6ins.

So that's a major job replaced with a minor one! Model on...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 6

A before and after of the kit props:

5-B72-A97-D-DDAC-4448-93-EE-A57782-E6-B9

After on the right!

There’s a little story. I sanded down the one on the right and thought how easy it was compared to having to build a new one. Then I reached into the box for the other one... not there! After Looking over and under everything in the study, I remembered I had looked through my spares seeing if there was a decent match. Lo and behold, there it was, next to all the other propellers that don’t look like they belong on a Hudson.

I might add a bit of bling to the engine front in the form of the ignition wiring just to busy it up a little and distract from the fat hubs.

• Like 8

Props done and engines get a bit of wire:

AAEFB6-AF-4-D57-46-AC-8-C13-7-F694769467

I cut off the hub bolts and did them again from stretched sprue because it was easier than trying to clean them up. The spark plug wiring was attached by settling the wire fragments into little spots of matt varnish.

• Like 13

Thanks gents! I’m pretty pleased seeing as they started as blobby copies of an iffy original.

Today I bunked off work early and painted all the difficult bits:

CF67-F5-C3-E297-4119-926-C-62-D6-AECEB06

The idea being that I can take a nice flat broad brush and whizz round all the big bits in a jiffy. That’s the idea - we’ll see...

• Like 8

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

really good to see the camo on

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Seconded

Thanks chaps! I’ve been finding this one a bit of a slog but it’s getting there.

Revell acrylics are amazing - I’ve brush painted this in dribs and drabs here and there with multiple coats and it’s come up beautifully uniform without a join or brush stroke in sight.

2 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I'm almost presuaded to go with my Airfix one rather than my Italeri or Revell ones

Ah.

I wouldn’t start from here... The MPM/Italeri/Revell kit has its challenges too but I would have thought it was a better bet. I’ve never seen one in the plastic - I know Ced built one and it turned out very nice.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Every inch a Hudson.

It’s a bit more like one now. Needless to say, Adrian-aged-ten restricted his modifications to breaking off a couple of flap guides.

• Haha 5