Airfix Lockheed Hudson

I was sidetracked by domestic duties today. When I did get back to modelling I made good progress until I tried a test decal: 

069-D5-D7-E-B46-F-4-D55-A7-FE-843563-A23

Uh-oh. It seems to be stippled and translucent.

I have generic roundel, stripes and codes aplenty, but the “Spirit of Lockheed-Vega Employees” is why I bought the sheet, so that better work:

78-F4-A770-7242-4-FB3-9-B8-A-022-F26-C9-

Phew.

I’ve got a bit more work to do to blend in the canopy and then I will get back to decalling. If the roundels are shot then I will fall back to my generic sheets.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

I have generic roundel, stripes and codes aplenty, but the “Spirit of Lockheed-Vega Employees” is why I bought the sheet, so that better work:

Heavy pucker factor!

Chris

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, dogsbody said:

pucker factor!

27 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Good job that the "spirit" decal worked

Indeed!

21 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Why the two sizes

There’s one at the back under the windows and the smaller one goes under the cockpit.

In daylight:

7-B11177-D-3-EF0-47-C4-A905-1-AB996-EA9-

The “spirit” decal is fine so they are good. The fin flash is toast and I’m going to bin that and the rest of the markings. I’ve got the under cockpit areas smooth both sides (fingers crossed) and so I hope I can paint them up and get the smaller “spirit” decals on.

So I’d better get started before the domestic job creation scheme swings into action!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Xtradecals with just the “spirit” from the sheet:

AB71-CEE7-089-C-42-EC-9-CCA-1424-C79415-

My scepticism about the rest of the decals on the sheet was justified:

191-B8223-DB57-42-B7-A6-FF-40-D29-B99-BE

984-CEE5-E-EA88-413-A-B7-BE-6562-C254-BC

I don’t know if the eBay seller bought a load of reject sheets but I got what I needed out of it. 

At this point I’m tempted to model it before it had the squadron codes added (there are pictures of it like that, e.g. this), with just very light weathering. Seems to be the fastest route to the finished shelf (somewhere near the back!).

• Like 14

I think she looks great Adrian, the Xtradecal markings have worked very well, those Airfix ones are about the worst I've seen from them and I've seen some bad ones!

I can assure you that if I got a result half as good as this from the ancient Airfix kit then it would sit at the front of the display cabinet, not the back!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Curse of the Airfix hit and miss decals strikes again!

I'm glad you salvaged the script. The plane is coming together really well. and don't those roundels bring the whole thing to life?

• Thanks 1

Having some personal insight into what you are working with, I'm pretty impressed with the results!! 🤩

AND there's the turret to go yet. One of them anyway. 😀

Little Billy's Mum is going to be so proud of her boy when that goes on! 👩👧

Edited by rob Lyttle
Addition
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Nose cone mould ready:

Why did that remind me of the Gladiators TV programme?

Nose cone mould ready!! Rear turret mould ready!! Then the two of them beat each other senseless with a giant ear cleaner.

I think I've been on furlough for too long, need to talk to actual people!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Wrapped up my Corsair yesterday (technically early this morning!) and so back to the Hudson. Now I’m not normally given to moments of spiritual ecstasy but moulding a nose cone first go comes pretty close:

7-B81433-F-9752-42-C7-803-C-233-C21-F30-

The balance of the universe was more or less instantly recovered when I dropped my equally-perfect newly moulded astrodome, couldn’t find it on the floor and had to get all the kit out again to make another one:

4881585-D-3-C74-4-F2-A-A512-C6-F8-B9-D86

Without wishing to tempt fate too much, I think that’s the end of the “hard bits” and it should all be assembly from here on in. I’m going to skip the grey squadron codes for this one as there is at least one photo of it flying without codes but with turret fitted.

[edit - when I was clearing up my modelling mess last night (garden day today) I found the missing astrodome. Yep, right in the middle of the table...]

• Like 11

Thanks chaps. I wish I’d bitten the bullet and done the canopy and nose windows too. Or, better still, bought the Falcon set, because it has a complete Airfix Hudson upgrade and also includes much-needed replacements for FROG Maryland and Baltimore as well, both long-time stash residents.

• Like 3

Looking good there!

I have the Aeroclub canopy set. IIRC it also has the astrodome and nose transparencies. Also in the stash is Aeroclub’s  Turret set too. If you can still find them, they are well worth the effort.

Trevor

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

they are well worth the effort.

Thanks for the thought Trevor but not at this stage! The Falcon set offers a complete transparent nose section, split horizontally from the cockpit forward, like the MPM and Classic Airframes kits. I’m not 100% happy with the cockpit canopy but my satisfaction level with the nose windows is down in the single figures...

• Like 1

Did a bit of weathering today, just the flying surfaces (got to hold onto something). I’m trying to keep it quite light so here’s the underside, which I hope show how the raw Hu90 has toned down a bit:

1-A13-DA1-E-BC40-409-B-B26-E-B2-B18-AF93

• Like 8