Airfix 1/72 Mig17

Hi all,

Just a quick build here, nothing fancy.  It's a nice kit but has fit issues as you might see below.  Nothing some filler and sanding blocks won't cure though.  Definately think these newer kits are slightly less well molded than previous.  Comparing my Airfix 1/48 meteor, the plastic in that kit seems of better quality and the surface features etc are more delicate and better defined.

IMAG1326 2020-01-26_01-47-04 IMAG1340~2 IMAG1341~2 IMAG1339~2

Cheers

• Like 38

I have to agree with your opinion about the more recent Airfix releases not quite up to the same par as previous releases.

Here in the U.S. they have taken an up-tick in prices too but that may be the result of the actions of our Cheerless Leader

or the distributors in the U.S. .

Still, after having seen your model I think I may have to get me one of these too. Very nice!

Cheers

Todder

• Like 2

I just started this kit.  Thanks for the “heads up” warning for the fit issues.  Your’s looks great especially in the always challenging natural metal finish.  

Mike

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Todders said:

I have to agree with your opinion about the more recent Airfix releases not quite up to the same par as previous releases.

Here in the U.S. they have taken an up-tick in prices too but that may be the result of the actions of our Cheerless Leader

or the distributors in the U.S. .

Still, after having seen your model I think I may have to get me one of these too. Very nice!

Cheers

Todder

Cheers Todders 😊

Very nice work. Looks cool despite the fit issues. I’m looking forward to starting mine when I can fit it in.

Cheers Allan 

• Like 1

I guess they may have had to switch to another supplier or manufacturer for cash or other reasons.  I still enjoy collecting and building them though as they take on stuff the superior Japanese manufacturers won't.  

2 minutes ago, almac said:

Very nice work. Looks cool despite the fit issues. I’m looking forward to starting mine when I can fit it in.

Cheers Allan 

Cheers Alan. 😊

15 minutes ago, Sky Keg said:

I just started this kit.  Thanks for the “heads up” warning for the fit issues.  Your’s looks great especially in the always challenging natural metal finish.  

Mike

Thanks Sky Keg. Glad to help 😊

Great Timing !......I have just spent the afternoon clipping the sprues on my MiG-17 in preparation for a start this week.......Looking to do the in-box VNAF version on a stick. I had heard elsewhere about some minor fit issues but you have done a fine job with your own effort.

Well Done, Sir !

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cheshiretaurus said:

Very nice, have the same on the bench right now with the same fit issues but you've made good work of them.

Thank you Cheshiretaurus! Good luck with your build.

4 hours ago, Hairtrigger said:

Great result..  I pondered over that kit on Saturday wish I'd got it now...

Cheers Hairtrigger 😊

2 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

This looks like a nice kit.  It certainly is a better mould than the older AZModel Mig-17.  The fit issues look very easily rectified.  Yours is nifty to say the least!

Thanks John 😊  Yeah, it's not too bad really.

Pity that newest produced models still have issues like this with all technology behind the production. But i still like Airfix models, maybe just nostalgia or....

Anyway looking at your work, i will for sure go after this Mig.

Your model is very, very nice.

Best regards Djordje

• Like 1

Hmmmm. I’ve been playing around with one of the kits I got today, just taping parts together and haven’t seen any of the fit issues shown in the first pictures on this thread. I’m aware of some of the detail accuracy issues with the kit, particularly the inboard leading edge profile, but I’m happy with it. It certainly looks to be a much more enjoyable build than the Dragon MiG-17 I have sitting in the stash.

• Like 1

Cheers IJS302!  Hey VMA131Marine, Its entirely probable I've hamfisted it but others seem to have had similar experiences so might just be a bad batch?  I bought one of their Kate torpedo bombers and it had a warped fuselage.  Still, building the skills is part of fun :)  Looking forward to seeing the builds mentioned here!

• Like 1