1/48 - Boeing B-17G by HK Models - Release Oct 19 - Eduard F Summer 2024

Sidders

@vppelt68

Thanks for clarifying what blocks this set will be applicable for. Much appreciated. It's funny, but I asked on a FB B-17 modelling group if the new SBS set would be ok for a Block 35-DL and was told it would be. Seems that's not the case after all. I'll keep my fingers crossed that this sells well for SBS and we see a later block kit.

Cheers!

Steve

23 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

@vppelt68

Thanks for clarifying what blocks this set will be applicable for. Much appreciated. It's funny, but I asked on a FB B-17 modelling group if the new SBS set would be ok for a Block 35-DL and was told it would be. Seems that's not the case after all. I'll keep my fingers crossed that this sells well for SBS and we see a later block kit.

Cheers!

Steve

Why do you think the set won't be OK for the Block 35-DL? 

All B-17Gs up to the Blocks 40-BO/35-DL/40-VE, including these Blocks as well, are covered by this SBS Early Production set.

Edited by Rakovica

If you take a closer look at those pictures, one of them has the appropriate blocks named above the illustration. In that pic zoom into the bombardier's controls, you see the lever assembly in the BO variant, and the flutes and trombones assembly in the DL/VE variant. Quite significant difference in details, as I only know have learned. Fortunately for all us 72-scalers that problem in nonexistent :giggle:

Rakovica, if you have connection to the manufacturers, why not hint at them that a H2X Mickey set with a modified R/O compartment and a radome with retracting equipment would be very nice to have... Remembering that very, very many of the Vega built Pathfinders can be built based on the HK kit (with unstaggered waist and a Stinger tail).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rakovica said:

Why do you think the set won't be OK for the Block 35-DL? 

All B-17Gs up to the Blocks 40-BO/35-DL/40-VE, including these Blocks as well, are covered by this SBS Early Production set.

I think I just got confused. I read this: "So, for most of the DL and all BO and VE staggered waist blocks this set is not correct anyway, just as they have labelled it too. For the current HK kit variant, unless you want to build a G-45-BO (only block) or a few Vegas, this is correct" and took that as meaning I couldn't use the set for a 35-DL. Then I saw that the set is suitable for up to a 35-DL, so it looks as if I'm covered.

Note to self. Don't try and work out B-17 production blocks before the morning coffee!

• Haha 1

@fightersweep

In short, if I didn't get something wrong, you can use this "Early Production" set for your 35-DL Block Fort. :)

@vppelt68

I have and I will, but as said before, everything now depends on this set sales. Let's hope it will be fine, the first reactions indeed seem very good.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Rakovica said:

@fightersweep

Confirmed from the top level experts, you can use the set for your 35-DL Block free from any doubts. 😉

Brilliant! Confirmed sale for SBS then!

• Haha 1

• 8 months later...

This looks really interesting, I’m looking forward to seeing the full release. What I’m hoping for is that one day they’ll do a late F with the bulged cheek guns, as seen deleted then later reinstated on the G. 

Ultimately though, there’s so many sub-types available HK will be kept busy for years! Though I’m holding out for a G with the Cheyenne tail position 🤞🏼

• Thanks 1

YYYYYYYYEEEEEEEESSSSSSSS,what great news,cant wait for this one,only trouble is what scheme to choose.miami clipper from the 91st BG if the kit will allow.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The_Lancaster said:

This looks really interesting, I’m looking forward to seeing the full release. What I’m hoping for is that one day they’ll do a late F with the bulged cheek guns, as seen deleted then later reinstated on the G. 

Ultimately though, there’s so many sub-types available HK will be kept busy for years! Though I’m holding out for a G with the Cheyenne tail position 🤞🏼

Resin2Details makes a drop in Cheyenne replacement for the 1/48 HK B-17G, obviously not the offset windows for the fuselage.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, pengland007 said:

Resin2Details makes a drop in Cheyenne replacement for the 1/48 HK B-17G, obviously not the offset windows for the fuselage.

The Cheyenne turret was retrofitted to many earlier B-17G's, so the staggered waist windows shouldn't be an issue, but need to check the plane number with production details. 

Would you have a link to Resin2Details please? 

https://www.resin2detail.com/product-page/r2d-1-48-cheyenne-b-17-tail-turret-conversion-for-hk-kit-r2d48153

Here's the Resin2Detail Cheyenne tail turret. The details are excellent, though I have some doubts about the lower end shape, at least on these photos. 

Disclaimer: I don't have the actual part with me, so it's just a speculation. If I decide to do a non-staggered B-17G with the Cheyenne tail, I will probably get one.

• 1 month later...

In March 2024 issue of Eduard Info we may read some details about Limited Edition from Eduard.

B-17F Flying Fortress 1:48
Although the 1:48th scale Flying Fortress isn't due for release until August, we're aiming to bring it to Madison, Wisconsin for the IPMS USA Nats taking place in mid-July. Nevertheless, it is time to write something about this project now, because the first mentions caused quite a stir and brought forth many questions. So today I offer you at least the basic facts about this project:

• The project is being developed under the working name ‘Bloody Hundreth 1943’ and is being developed around the B-17F in 48th.
  • The following release will carry the name ‘Bloody Hundreth 1944’ and will be based around the B-17G in 48th.
  • The first of these two is expected to be released in August 2024.
  • The projects are being developed in cooperation with Hong Kong Models (HKM) and the 100th Bomb Group Foundation (100th BGF)
  • The plastic will be supplied by HKM
  • Because the HKM kit has only one of many possible variations of the nose (the oldest, such as the one that was on the Memphis Belle), we have designed other versions so that we could include later configurations.
  • The molds for the noses will be made by HKM based on our designs. HKM will produce and supply the finished product.
  • We are working closely with the 100th BGF regarding historical data as well as licensing of trademarks held by 100th BGF. The 100th BG is one of the few, if not the only, US joint military aviation unit whose tactical insignia, the D within a square, and other related items are subjects of a registered trademark.
  • An important role in the project is being played by our colleague Jan Zdiarský, who is the link between Eduard and the 100th BGF. In addition to being an employee of Eduard, he is also a member of the 100th BGF. Mr. Zdiarský, who, among other things, functions as the chief editor of our newsletters. He is also the curator of the oft mentioned museum dedicated to the air battle over the Ore Mountains on September 11th, 1944, and has prepared materials for the development of the noses and gathered reference materials for the creation of the decals and color schemes, and will put together summaries for those color schemes as well as articles related to this project that will appear in our forthcoming newsletters.
  • The Air Battle of the Ore Mountains museum, as mentioned, is devoted to the events of September 11, 1944, when during the mission to Ruhland, the 100th BG lost thirteen B-17Gs, mainly over the town of Kovářská and its surroundings.

B-17 Flying Fortress Accessory Items
Also associated with the B-17, and the Bloody Hundred, is the Masters of the Air series currently running on Apple TV+. Due to the series, and I'm pretty sure it is due to the series, we've had a significant increase in requests to re-release out of production accessory items for the B-17 of various kit manufacturers and scales. We have decided to comply with them and put these sets back in our range. You might be surprised that there are more than 160 such items! They have been on sale since last week and you can find them in our e-shop.

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...

Must say this looks interesting

EDK11183.jpg?t=1711144830

Markings for 

Rosie's Riveters, B-17F-120-BO, 42-30758, LD-W
Piccadilly Lily, B-17F-30-VE, 42-5864, EP-A
Hard Luck!, B-17F-55-DL, 42-3413, LN-V
Sunny II, B-17F-120-BO, 42-30796, EP-K / EP-J
Alice from Dallas, B-17F-30-VE, 42-5867, LN-O
Skipper, B-17F-45-DL, 42-3307, EP-N
Horny, B-17F-40-VE, 42-5957, XR-D

• Like 6

• Julien changed the title to 1/48 - Boeing B-17G by HK Models - Release Oct 19 - Eduard F Summer 2024

@Julien the marking options do indeed look good - but if they release it as the current HK kit then the one pictured in the illustration will have the incorrect cheek gun installation. I wonder if they have molded some new nose options to cover this..? It will make a lot of B-17 fans very happy indeed if they have!

Edit: I’ve just seen the ‘small print’ - indeed it does seem as if new noses are coming. Hurrah!!!

Edited by tomprobert

Nice indeed. I hope that Eduard will offer those new noses also as a separate aftermarket set, as I guess many people like myself already got the basic HKM B-17F kit and don't really have a need for another one. Will see. 

with Eduard doing a lot of the heavy lifting, and HKM doing the moulding, I'm wondering about the ip ownership.

Didn't HKM start off under a bit of a cloud with regards to their B-25?

i am really looking forward to this release, and i see hannants has the price up at £159.99 full price.i must admit when i first heard about this release i was thinking around the £200 mark so i was way off.

I never bought HK Fortresses because I read somewhere that the rear fuselage was too wide. The guy was very knowledgeable and even had original blueprints to support his point of view. But that was possibly related to the 1/32 kit. Now that I see that the panel in front of the windshield has been corrected, does anybody think that the 1/48 kit still has an oversized rear fuselage?