De Havilland D.H.89a, Heller, 1/72nd scale

Amazing stuff.....I attempted an Airfix boxing of this a long-time ago for a GB over on the ATF, the fuselage was hideously warped, everything went wrong, utterly horrific experience, ever referred to thereafter as 'That which shall not be named!':analintruder:

I'm mostly over it now.  ;)

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

I must admit I didn't know that a PE set was available for this kit.  May have to look at another one now. SWMBO might not be happy though !!!

Hi Michael and Chris

I am combining the sets from Arctic Decals (masks, and frames that I will use in the next DH89) and the Kuivalainen/Eduard photo-etched one.

Neither is really onerous.

Photographs of both have been posted in this very thread above, legible enough to see the brands and article code.

When everything else fails, read the previous postings in the thread 😉

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Moa said:

Photographs of both have been posted in this very thread above, legible enough to see the brands and article code.

When everything else fails, read the previous postings in the thread 😉

Well, I was paying more attention to your excellent workmanship and ingenuity than to the brands of products involved. 😁

• Haha 1

Hello Moa !

Very nice job, Still I'm waiting for a good 1/48 version of the rapide

But I'll be more glad to have this one in 1/48

88%2005.jpg

Really like these DH birds !

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

13 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

But I'll be more glad to have this one in 1/48

Akatombo has I believe a 1/48 kit of it, and MikroMir I understand is about to release one too.

I never build in 1/48, so I don't follow releases, but I am sure there was also another one.

• Thanks 1

The upper wing and canopy are glued in place, checking as usual alignement.
I read an article by Paul Bradley on SAMI, where he used a styrene veneer to solve the issues that the Heller kit presents regarding the absence of stringer relief on fuselage top and bottom. This can be solved in other ways, but this approach seems practical, so I made those "skins":

IMG_4907+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

This is just a dry-run to try to grasp the effect:

IMG_4909+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Same for the lower one. My only fear here is that styrene glue on thin sheets causes issues, so does cyanoacrylate glue. I may risk it, though, since this little trick may save a long time spent on filling and sanding:

IMG_4910+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 12

Instead of glue,you could try varnish,I think it was the late Harry Woodman that advocated its use to prevent plastic parts becoming misshapen.Its applied in a similar vein to when applying metal foil,both mating surfaces are coated,then wait until they become tacky,then join.HTH.

Great build(s) going on,just loving it.

Dave.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Moa said:

My only fear here is that styrene glue on thin sheets causes issues, so does cyanoacrylate glue. I may risk it, though, since this little trick may save a long time spent on filling and sanding:

Yep, the styrene cement causes sink marks to appear, which can sometimes occur several weeks after the gluing. These have to be filled after everything has 'stabilised'. Which is fine for my build schedule......but probably not for yours.

• Haha 1

Thanks to all for the suggestions and comments.

Interesting and useful approaches there.

I think I may go for Martian's two-part epoxy. It's a bit messier than the varnish, but I am more familiar with it.

In my clumsiness I tend to smudge the model when I use epoxy, so I think I will masking the adjacent area to avoid issues.

I was one of those kids that spread the marmalade everywhere but on the toast.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Moa said:

You're not related to me are you?

Martian 👽

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Moa said:

I think I may go for Martian's two-part epoxy. It's a bit messier than the varnish, but I am more familiar with it.

In my clumsiness I tend to smudge the model when I use epoxy, so I think I will masking the adjacent area to avoid issues.

I think alcohol will remove uncured epoxy; I don't know whether it will work on marmalade, however.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Space Ranger said:

I think alcohol will remove uncured epoxy; I don't know whether it will work on marmalade, however.

I don't know about that, the  alcohol always seems to go missing between the bottle and the model!

Martian 👽

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

I don't know about that, the  alcohol always seems to go missing between the bottle and the model!

Martian 👽

Myself, I find it's too difficult to suck the alcohol out of those wipes.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Moa said:

Well, my wife is British, and err, it is a small island after all, and her family has been there for while. Just sayin' ;)

Spooky!

Martian 👽

• Haha 1