Mil Mi-24 Hind - Revell 1/72

CedB

As the man say, nobody looks underneath

I would NOT attack the undersides with an aloominum panel unless I could see it on a photograph

It don't feel right to me skipper 😱

• Like 2

Thanks Giorgio :) As you say, who's going to look at the bottom? It also isn't visible from the side according to the scheme. I will ignore that panel then, thanks.

Thanks Bill :) Wavy line machinery? I don't have... no wait! The Portrait cutter! Good idea.

Scan the scheme, resize the image in 'Studio' freehand draw the wavy line then use the 'simplify' feature to reduce the points. Mirror that for the other side (lazy) and ta dah!

41843744051_ae844f6dbb_z.jpg

Before applying that I painted the bits on the bottom (fnaar!)

41844374151_3f929ef82b_z.jpg

Shiny black front on the Radar Director Unit, aluminium on the pylons and tailplanes, then the two lamps thingies in the hole. Flat Black pooled in thinned with water and poked around, then wicked up and tidied with a pointy cotton bud. Wheelwell (re)painted and we're done.

Masking next. Yuk.

• Like 13

I didn't mention the cutter because scanning the camo scheme from the instructions gives you a flat pattern, so you will need corrections to make it conform to an actual 3d model.

But I'd be happy to stand corrected, if you succeed :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 1

I think Ced said (A poet? Moi? Mais non) that the software could allow a stretch in a chosen direction

Ced being a computer wiz must be able to do that in a heartbeat...

• Like 2

Thanks Gents :)

This is just mad. It's not made any easier by the Revell's 'colour chart' and using grey to represent the, er, grey. Remember this?

40035786260_fbc257f799_z.jpg[

I've just noticed that the four colours are in sequence right down the fuselage which makes it easier (a bit). In the top drawing it goes:

M = Revell (R) 361 Olive Green which I don't have so I'm using Humbrol (H) 155 Olive Drab (I know, but I need to retain my sanity)

T = R67 Greenish Grey

U = R79 Greyish Blue which I don't have so I'm using Gunze 335 and

V = R76 Light Grey

I've also decided to brush paint the camo as masking it would definitely drive me round the bend.

Here's the first lot, the U Greyish Blue (or is it blueish grey?):

41802969202_79d4e14e15_z.jpg

See? The shinier bits? I know, mad.

The cut masks are good enough whilst painting but the whole thing's insane so it will probably get weathered.

A lot.

Blood donation this afternoon so more later if I'm up to it.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

I agree with Giemme, superb work, but amazing how quickly you can produce it - very disciplined!

Interesting with that silver part you mention as 'C'.  I would have interpreted the instructions as the underside of the boom rather than a separate panel, but in the scheme that you are building it, it and the tailplane are in the same grey as the rest of the undersides.  I wouldn't use aluminium/silver on those parts.

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/7014043

BTW, 'the two lamps thingies in the hole' as you so wonderfully say, are part of the DISS-15D Doppler system.

Edit,

when I wrote this post I hadn't seen the more recent posts,  so info probably too late!

Edited by 71chally
  • Thanks 1

Thanks James :) No silver on the bottom, got it (fnaar!) I also feel happier that the lamp thingies are domes for the Doppler - I couldn't get a 'lens look' but dome I can do!

Thanks Giorgio :)

I refer you m'lud to the previous concerns that I'd had the Revell paint for a long time:

41811269632_de3985b70f_z.jpg

If I'd needed to fill gaps it would have been great. As it was much thinners and stirring were required. I've been quiet today as I've been applying camo to the model. I started out being confused but in the end I was so lost I just sort of gave up and splodged the paint in roughly the right areas:

41138561684_c3a68030af_z.jpg

26987518297_03ec126058_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

You'll be pleased to know that the lower photo is closer to the model.

The demarcation masking worked fine but I'm not sure that pattern is anything like the real thing.

If I was doing it again (not likely) I would cut out the little square colour keys on the scheme so I could slide it down the scheme diagram to see exactly which tone of grey went where.

But I won't be doing it again - no way Jose!

The approach I took on the paint (which, of course, was drying as I carefully and slowly applied it around all the curvy bits) was 'patches are OK but brush marks are not'.

I was mostly successful but I'm going to Micro-mesh the worse bits tomorrow, then I think I'll apply the sticky out bits and paint those when I touch up the rest.

Obviously I also have the weapons to do, pre-transfer gloss coat and then, gulp, stencils.

Not close to the end then.

• Like 17

Oh Ced, that looks fine. I like it in that scheme as it is. The Hind always looks like an agressive beast, but the scheme highlights that. Cheers

Ps.: Reminds me somehow of things like this:

Edit: Agressive doesn't meant for this snake. The Python just follow it's instinct, when it's hungry (as most of the other snakes). Otherwise it should be a calm and shy animal, which likes to deny anyone. Cheers again.

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I know you've been doing camo Ced, it works

I could hardly see it on the last picture

Seriously looking good

I've got some of that Revell sludge, mines a grey greeny colour but not quite that one

Definitely sludge though

I detest all non-Tamiya acrylics, utter s...     junk all of it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lovely work on that paint scheme Ced!

I love applying kit stencils, very therapeutic.

It's only just dawned on me that 3361 is actually an Mi-35, which as I understand it is a slightly 'NATOised' Mi-24V that supplemented their Soviet era supplied Mi-24Vs.  

I think that explains the black, and more Westernised looking cockpit and panels.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Giorgio, Frank, Simon and Stuart :) I'd like to say I'm nearing the end but I'm a long way away... I need to chill and enjoy the journey :sick:

Thanks Benedikt for the snake picture :) I hope it hasn't given too many people the wobbles!

Thanks Bill :) Revell sludge, yuk. I thought the Humbrol thinners would have sorted it but apparently not:

40059393970_b21b6936d3_z.jpg

Cracking paint! That's not a compliment from Wallace and Grommit. New one on me. Perhaps I should have just used water to thin it?

Thanks James! :D Now that I know it's a Mi-35 a whole new life stretches before me (Oh no, not another one...) I've found a LOT more photos of 3361 on the 'net as she seems to have been tarted around various airshows. I can now see she has the bare flare dispensers (rats, they have wires) and clearly see the metal rings thingies around the exhausts. Gah! I wonder if the Portrait will cut Bare Metal Foil? (Here we go again)

Today, apart from being fitted for a hired Morning Suit for the Wedding :penguin:I've masked the dark grey behind the exhausts:

27994166068_2e2139080a_z.jpg

That was 'fun'... nothing like trying to mask over knobbly bits... except, that is, poking yourself in the eye with a needle.

Checking reference shots to get that right made me realise I didn't have enough green around the intakes. Now corrected, she's had a rub down with Micro-mesh and is now ready for sticky out bits prior to touch ups:

40059382980_714ee06923_z.jpg

Book Club beer tonight. I deserve it!

• Like 14

Enjoy the book club beer!

having used revell paints I would say just cut them with water... or just don’t use them, I’m not a fan, they are just way too think and don’t level very well. In my opinion that is, other my vary.

Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Beer truly and well deserved 👏

Acrylics, brush painted: give me Lifecolor and/or Italeri-Vallejo all the time. But that's just me :whistle:

Ciao

• Like 3
  • Haha 1