Nie pójdziem żywo w trumnę (1/72 IBG RWD-8)

Procopius

I would incline toward the Techmod checks Edward; I think I would notice the slight difference in size less than I would notice the difference in colour.

The kit is coming along very nicely B)

Glad to hear the family are all okay :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

I would incline toward the Techmod checks Edward; I think I would notice the slight difference in size less than I would notice the difference in colour.

I would incline in the same direction as Stew on that PC, for the same reason.

• Like 1

Me too. We all know that size is important :wicked:

I did, for one moment, think of suggesting that you spray them but those alternating colours it would be a real pain and any slight slip would show up.

Best go for the Techmods?

• Like 1

To be honest, Polish checkerboard red colour after 1930 was quite bright, precisely: vermilion. There are RGB and CMYK and other coordinates in the Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermilion

I think that the real colour was something between those custom-printed checkers and those from Techmod. Unfortunately those custom-printed have some halftone-grain which is somewhat ugly.

Are you able to cut the Techmod decals and make it a bit smaller?

Piece of the PZL Karaś from 1939 checkerboard:

4_copy79.jpg

szachownice-1921-1930.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 303sqn said:

The red colour used is found in the Towarzystwo Nobiles catalogue as Ponsowy; C2, M100, Y99, K0.  Brick red, crimson?

And in PORSA (Radom factory) catalogue we have this (scan may not reproduce original in 100%):

PORSA_415.jpg

It is very probable, but not 100% sure that this colour has been used. Nobiles 473 "ponsowy" is very similar, but the regulations call the proper colour "cynober" (eng. "cinnabar", "Vermilion"):
nobiles_wzornik_web.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/26/2017 at 1:56 AM, CedB said:

Me too. We all know that size is important :wicked:

Blimey, don't tell the missus!

On 9/26/2017 at 1:56 AM, CedB said:

Best go for the Techmods?

Fortunately, the other Techmod sheet I have has a slightly different red that I think will work even better.

On 9/26/2017 at 6:17 AM, GrzeM said:

Are you able to cut the Techmod decals and make it a bit smaller?

Not with confidence, I fear.

• Haha 1

Decal time!

20170928_143235

Regrettably, the custom decals splintered into a bazillion pieces, but I've built enough Roden kits* to not be wholly fazed by this development, and most of them (well, three of the four I applied) worked pretty well anyway...the fourth gave me some trouble.

20170928_143243

Regrettable. 

However, a solution presents itself.

https://flic.kr/p/BQRNzL

* IE too many.

• Like 8

Well, the "8" on the fuselage is most important. The "S" is on the bottom of the wing anyway B)

If you still have some of these decals (small numbers etc) it would be good to spray them with some clear, that could help.

Edited by GrzeM
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Christ, has it been a month? Never have children.

As I type this, Grant, who resembles a neurotic bank manager in late middle age in appearance and a nineteen-year-old rave aficionado in sleeping habits, is "helping" me, because he has been helping his mother sleep for the last two hours, very loudly. 

2017-10-29_09-39-06

I love Grant, of course, and am spending money on his medical bills hand over fist to prove it, but it might be fair to say I don't particularly enjoy his company. 

In any case, I managed to make it downstairs to work on the RWD-8 in the first time in a long while. My children, and depression over the spiraling costs of my children, have kept me upstairs and senescent lately. We budgeted $1,000 to handle birth expenses during Mrs P's (unpaid) maternity leave, only for costs to spiral to four times that and climbing. Now, we're two middle-class professionals in what is unquestionably the only nuclear-armed world power to be ruled by an infant, so we won't be annihilated by this, but it has put a damper on things of late (and really makes one think about the fates of those people more clever and virtuous than us -- as if that were possible! -- who might not have the financial security we do and who find themselves in this predicament.)

Anyway, the RWD-8. 

I crept downstairs and alcladded the various bits that seemed like they'd need it, and put some more Khaki on the bits that seemed like they'd need that:

20171029_210039

I also took the opportunity to patch up the mangled S, and I think it came out okay:

Before:

20170928_143243

After:

2017-10-29_09-51-27

I then assembled the central support for the wing:

20171029_211615

It fit beautifully, and for once, my super glue adhered perfectly (it's a brand-new bottle). The resin wing (which now sadly is a bit of a curiousity, as Arma Hobby no longer do resin, alas!) fits quite well atop it, though the tubular structure's curving-up bit (technical term) will need a teeny sand. Other than that, perfection.

Oh, and Winston is a train man for Hallowe'en. He is under the impression that he will get to ride/drive a train in this capacity.

2017-10-29_09-24-24

• Like 13

Your financial troubles make me realise how lucky I am to live in a country that has Statutory Maternity Pay, Statutory Paternity Pay and a free-at-the-point-of-use health service and, that I need to do more to make sure I keep them.

2 hours ago, Procopius said:

Oh, and Winston is a train man for Hallowe'en. He is under the impression that he will get to ride/drive a train in this capacity.

I trust the train will have a Guard. (A niche joke, if ever there was one.)

Nice save on the decal, by the way.

Edited by Beard
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Yes nice save on the code letter Edward, in fact the model is looking very lovely all round now B)

I have to concur with Simon regarding our health service; it seems... well, normal to me that if you are in need of medical attention you should get it, irrespective of your income or your effectiveness at forward-planning. Still, perhaps it only seems normal to us because we grew up with it and I doubt we appreciate the NHS quite as much as we should, at least until such a time as we do find ourselves in need of it.

In any case the boys are looking very lively and I am sure must be wearing you and Mrs P to the bone on a daily basis :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3

On 28/09/2017 at 23:21, CedB said:

Nice job PC and I'm sure your usual recovery skills will come into play

I knew it! Good job there Sir.

4 hours ago, Procopius said:

I love Grant, of course... but it might be fair to say I don't particularly enjoy his company. 

Normal. I didn't really enjoy my kids' company until they were able to show some interest in things that they couldn't put in their mouths.

Reading to them before bed... and getting a reasonable question, I think that was the start.

"Mewling and puking in the Nurse's arms" has never been a favourite stage.

Of course I agree with Simon and Stew - we're lucky to live here, but you knew that already, I know :)

I hope there's some more 'man cave' time in your near future PC, she's looking good from here.

• Like 1

EVERY railway railroad dude should wear funky spotted boots; it ought to be a law.

Only just caught up for first time in a while (& feeling guilty as a result - though the good wishes of a random bloke in Salisbury probably would have made little tangible difference to the outcome).  Glad all OK; model looks great

• Like 1

EVERY railway railroad dude should wear funky spotted boots; it ought to be a law.

Only just caught up for first time in a while (& feeling VERY guilty as a result - though the good wishes of a random bloke in Birminghamshire probably would have made little tangible difference to the outcome).  Glad all OK; model looks great

Echoing Crisp's timely words because they is me too

Grant is welcome to join the family of PC afficionadoes here, I regret that you have had such a bad time, old scout

And yes, The NHS is a fine thing if too well abused  at times

I would be several times dead without its sterling works

(several? mayhap many...)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

though the good wishes of a random bloke in Salisbury probably would have made little tangible difference to the outcome)

17 minutes ago, perdu said:

the good wishes of a random bloke in Birminghamshire probably would have made little tangible difference to the outcome)

British is best (as I softly whisper to Winston when his mother is out of the room), and so British best wishes are thereby axiomatically the finest of all. 

5 hours ago, CedB said:

Normal. I didn't really enjoy my kids' company until they were able to show some interest in things that they couldn't put in their mouths.

Reading to them before bed... and getting a reasonable question, I think that was the start.

Winston is on the cusp; he is both delightful and enraging (especially when he's eating spaghetti, which he distributes through through the kitchen not unlike one of those automated lawn sprinklers). The other morning he wanted to watch "airplanes" on the TV, so I pulled up a collection of WWII-era Spitfire instructional films for ground crew that were on Amazon Prime and he happily sat through them. 

8 hours ago, Beard said:

I trust the train will have a Guard. (A niche joke, if ever there was one.)

I'm afraid I don't get it...I feel very stupid.

7 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

I have to concur with Simon regarding our health service; it seems... well, normal to me that if you are in need of medical attention you should get it, irrespective of your income or your effectiveness at forward-planning. Still, perhaps it only seems normal to us because we grew up with it and I doubt we appreciate the NHS quite as much as we should, at least until such a time as we do find ourselves in need of it.

I'm sure it doesn't seem this way if one lives there, but as I've said before, the biggest difference between our two countries to me when I visited (aside from substantially better chocolate in the UK) is that Great Britain struck me as a much gentler society, in lots of little ways. 

• Like 7

Wot the others have said, plus more good wishes from another random bloke in Birminghamshire, oh and Winston for President, Grant for Vice President - a Winston - Grant ticket - I like the sound of that. This is for Winston:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Just caught up with all this - congratulations - you are certainly not missing the joys of parenthood! I'm sorry to have to inform you, but it doesn't stop, you just move on to different things to worry about as they get older! Glad everyone seems to be getting better.

Your aeroplane looks really charming in its khaki and silver too.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Just caught up with all this - congratulations - you are certainly not missing the joys of parenthood! I'm sorry to have to inform you, but it doesn't stop, you just move on to different things to worry about as they get older! Glad everyone seems to be getting better.

Kill me.

Very tired, so I only did a little bit tonight, to avoid messing up. I added the landing gear, which I hope and pray can support the weight of the wing. 

20171030_220846

20171030_220844

The landing gear will need a bit of a wash to bring out the detail, I think. 

• Like 12