Defiant, L7026 PS-V 264 Sqn, Airfix 1/72 ** Finished **

Well, despite what I said I have been swayed... I'd placed the DE/DG/Sky in my basket at eModels.co.uk and had an email saying that, as I hadn't checked out, to contact them if I had any queries. So I emailed and asked about the 'Ocean Grey' and had an email in reply ("The closest match to Mr Color #362 is Mr Aqueous #337" Greyish Blue) within minutes...

Such efficiency and great customer service cannot go unrewarded so I placed an order for the five colours and, while I was typing this, got another email to say it would be in tonight's post. impressive. Thanks Gav!

Ced - interesting feedback regarding Ocean Grey: great to support such help :). (Spreadsheet says that I have a jar of H337 in hand :D)

Hi Ced,

You may find the following document useful as it lists all colours in Gunze's H-series. Just don't care much about the colour patches, as they aren't necessarily correct.

http://www.rlm.at/download/gunzecolor.pdf

Jaime

Jaime - useful catalogue link - but as you say, the colour swatches can be a bit hairy, H337 being a case in point: lime green? Or is it my weird eyesight again? . Great to have the official list of the 400s: my old paper catalogue (aqueous, lacquer, metallics and goodies) only goes up to H340/C340.

Cheers,

Alex.

• Like 2

Jaime - useful catalogue link - but as you say, the colour swatches can be a bit hairy, H337 being a case in point: lime green? Or is it my weird eyesight again? . Great to have the official list of the 400s: my old paper catalogue (aqueous, lacquer, metallics and goodies) only goes up to H340/C340.

Alex, just disregard the colour patches in the document. Guide yourself by the reference number and colour name. I have most of the H-series colours and there's little resemblance between the real paints and the document's colour patches. Anyway, used properly these paints produce excellent finishes and are easy to use.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 2

Paint has arrived! I guess I can use this stuff with the hairy and air brushes? I don't want to use the wonderful (smelly) self-levelling thinners so distilled water? Ultimate thinners?

Oh, and there's a Defiant getting close to the end:

22334210630_790e1b8cf9_z.jpg

Nearly there by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I've not coated this with Klear. I'm lazy. But I spoke to Joe (Fatboydim) and he doesn't use it, although he does polish. I've had silvering even with Klear so I'm trying without. I've made sure there was a pool of Decalfix under the transfer and then rolled out the excess with a cotton bud - they're creasing nicely and settling down.

Not long now.

• Like 6

Thanks guys for your very kind and encouraging words :)

I'm calling this done and have posted in the gallery here. A few more shots and closing comments...

I've weathered her with Mig Ammo washes - when you're using these and decide that you should shake the bottle a bit, do make sure that you close the lid tightly or you'll end up with smelly wash all over the place - ask me how I know.

I've also blobbed on the 'chipping' on the nose as per the Xtradecal scheme. I have no idea why she got so scruffy on the nose but hey, following orders!

Pmasks will not get my money again - in comparison to Eduard I found them hard to remove and there was a little ingress in places, despite trying to burnish them down. I live and learn. Anyway, a few shots of the bottom not in the gallery:

22555358461_b939e718e8.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

The Stynylrez primer (I'm showing off being able to spell that, I know) does a nice job of pre-shading on this (though not on the Blenheim) so only a light touch with the wash.

Then I stuck on all the spikey bits - there are SO MANY!

22357384109_e0fc20757f.jpg

Pokey bits by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

That's me done on this one. A nice kit which sadly took second place to the Blenheim in my head... I don't think I'll do multiple builds again... oh no, wait, Meteors. Right.

• Like 7

She has turned out a beaut. Also as you said in the Blenheim thread, the favourite gets the attention and becomes a pain...

I like what you have done with the chipping on the engine panels, I saw that on the xtradecal sheet and thought it was a nice touch... You have proved me right!

Rob

• Like 1

Thanks Rob :) I have no idea why that chipping is 'included' but it does add a certain I don't know what (sounds better in the French!)

Thanks Stew :) It's been a bit of a 'journey' but I've enjoyed most of it... all I have to sod now is get them on the ceiling!

Thanks Jaime, very kind. :) I'm looking forward to trying out the Mr Hobby!

• Like 2

Popping up to add my two bob's-worth. Looking great, both of them :D. I've always liked the Defiant - an unusual wee beastie but perforce underpowered and undergunned (defensively). It has been good pressing my nose to the glass, so to speak, looking at your excellent Defiant and Blenheim builds.

Cheers,

Alex.

• Like 1

In case you want to follow me over to the Meteor STGB I've started threads for an Airfix F.3 and an MPM F.1.

The V-1 that came with the Airfix kit will be WiP'd there but displayed with the Mk I.

Yes, I'm building two. It's all Enzo's fault :)

Here we go!

(Copied and pasted to Blenheim thread)