Defiant, L7026 PS-V 264 Sqn, Airfix 1/72 ** Finished **

This morning's fun:

Masked up by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

22381672086_137cbc6c95.jpg

Um??!! by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

21786613083_ff68bf537c.jpg

I left this on while I had some lunch, fully expecting this weird stuff to eat the model while I was away, but no...

Masks off by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

22395779202_2fd9a97e74_z.jpg

Out to dinner tonight and Yeovilton show tomorrow so probably doing a bear impression (big paws) :) (cut and pasting jokes now, groan)

Thanks for looking!

• Like 6

Excellent results, just like with your Blenheim, Ced! You're possibly feeling that building two models with close similarities (like the camouflage colours) brings increased efficiency to the whole process.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Thanks John :) (Readers see Blenheim thread if you want to know what crept here...)

Hi Jaime - yes, building two models together has its benefits but leaves me with 'a favourite' which I'm a little sad about... like your children, you should never own up to this and certainly not let anyone know which the favourite is (but I bet you can guess?)

Yeovilton show today and Theatre tonight so only a little modelling time... so I painted the exhausts. See Blenheim thread for pictures of my new Iron / rust experiment.

Glad to see the Gyro-cut worked, it bodes well for mine, I won't be using the gloop though.

Cheers

John

PS just been reading the Blenheim thread, good tips on the use of the cutter, thanks

Edited by Biggles87
  • Like 1

Looking very nice indeed, Ced - except that the "Dark Green" is still making me feel as though I have a serious colour-perception problem that I need to get professionally looked at as soon as possible (that might in fact be the case). To me it looks like Dark Earth and slightly lighter Dark Earth, with both Defiant and Blenheim. It's doing my head in!

I trust that you had a nice time at the theatre and Yeovilton, and that the Blobs didn't eat you while you had your back turned.

• Like 1

Thanks John :)

Hi Alex - the green is a bit light, I know, and there was a long discussion on the Vallejo Model Air in my Dambuster thread, starting here. I've bought myself some darker green and I'll try that on future builds but I'm too lazy (and short of time) to re-do this and the Blenheim... it won't notice on the ceiling :(

• Like 1

OK, you've talked me into it. How much darker is the Vallejo Model Air 'Camo Dark Green' (019) than the US Dark Green (016) suggested / supplied in their RAF kit?

22472049591_bf48798151_z.jpg

Darker by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Enough said. And yes, I have done the rest! Now I just need to decide if I can be bothered to do the Blenheim... gaaahhh!

• Like 7

What a relief! Vallejo need a kick in their collective pants over that - where is their "true" RAF DG?

Have you tried the Gunze Aqueous Hobby Color ("water to thin" - *not* Mr.Color!) H73 DG? Might be worth a shot - and their DE & Sky, too (H72 & H74 respectively).

Edited by AlexN
  • Like 2

Good to have that confirmed, Jaime - I have yet to start using any (modelling) paints in any meaningful way until I get my DIY workshop sorted out (getting there, the belt sander is proving to be working a treat, Ced). I did find the Aztec airbrush instructions, and the airbrush cleaning station, the other day :).

Cheers,

the alex.

• Like 2

Thanks guys! I'm much happier with it too...

So, Mr Hobby Aqueous Color eh? Is it smelly? Do you need to thin it? I've been mooching around the 'net and my LMS stocks it. I've read here on BM that their self-levelling thinner is really good but that seems to be very smelly and not suitable for spraying in the house? Tamiya X20-A?

All the other Gunze products I have are great, but they do pong a bit. Perhaps I'll get some to try on the Meteors...

• Like 1

It smells a bit like the Tamiya jar paints. YOU CAN USE WASTER TO THIN IT! (See my previous post <snigger>.) The aqueous paints are not nearly as throat-catching as their Mr.Color relatives. I'd try DG/DSG/Sky (for the Meteors) and see what you think. Dark Sea Grey is H75 :).

A.

Edited by AlexN
  • Like 1

Thanks Alex :)

"It smells a bit like the Tamiya jar paints." made me laugh as it reminded me of the 'survival guy' who had something weird to eat and, when asked what it was like, said "tastes a bit like crocodile" :D

So:

Dark Earth H72

Dark Green H73 and

Sky H74

(Encouraging that they're in order - makes me think they might have produced it as 'a set'.)

For the Meteors the kits have the schemes listed as DG, MSG and Ocean Grey and all Satin finish. Humbrol colours 163, 165 and 106 respectively.

This website has a set:

WWII Middle to Late - (C361) Dark Green, (C362) Ocean Gray and (C363) Medium Seagray

Aussie Modeller has a post saying "Mr Color RAF set #1 and it includes Ocean Gray #362,as well as Dark Green #361 and Medium Sea Gray #363"

Now I'm confused... what are these 'C' numbers?? My LMS has MSG listed as H-335 but no Ocean Grey / Gray and there's a gap in their range from H-346 to H-401.

Can anyone point me at a Mr Hobby aqueous Ocean Gray please? Or should I just order the RAF set??

On another, related point. Sometimes I worry about my memory... look what I've got:

22473647532_1717267747.jpg

Duh by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I bought this for the Tiger Moth. I am an idiot and must tidy my supplies. Or make a list. Or get a new brain.

• Like 1

The "C" ranges are the lacquer-based Mr.Color, and will stink to high heaven. Not what you want- which is the H number sequence. Annoyingly, many hobby shops, online or otherwise, don't seem to stock Gunze Aqueous in the high H300s-low H400s oart of the range.

Humbrol appear to have an Ocean Grey, HU-106A. Tamiya do one too: XF-82. A bit more digging required...

• Like 1

Thanks Alex! Clearer :)

p.s. just looked at the Vallejo Model Air WWII RAF set pamphlet (which we don't trust, do we) and that has:

- Ocean Grey FS36152 = 71.048, bottle labelled 'Dark Sea Gray' and

- Ocean Grey (mixed) FS 36173 = .097 bottle labelled 'Base Grey', which I think is a primer.

Very confused now! Perhaps I should prime them with my Stynylrez grey primer and not (re)paint the Ocean Grey bits?

(Ocean Grey is the camo colour that goes with the DG.)

• Like 1

Hmmm...it looks as though Gunze do Ocean Grey in the Mr.Color ("C") range, but not the Mr.Hobby aqueous ("H") range. Hannants do Ocean Grey in the Xtracrylix line: XA1006 (I have a bottle, according to my new spreadsheet). I find the "Mr.Hobby" and "Mr.Color" names confusing too. Maybe it's clearer in the original Japanese! And no, we don't trust Vallejo *at all!* Sorry that I haven't been more help.

Edited by AlexN

Thanks Alex - you have been really helpful :)

I think I've calmed down from my 'find a perfect paint' frenzy now and I think I'll stick with the paints I have for now and re-stock with the Mr Hobby later. I do have the yellow so I may use that for the leading edge stripes, although it does look a bit bright (here I go again...)

• Like 1

Well, despite what I said I have been swayed... I'd placed the DE/DG/Sky in my basket at eModels.co.uk and had an email saying that, as I hadn't checked out, to contact them if I had any queries. So I emailed and asked about the 'Ocean Grey' and had an email in reply ("The closest match to Mr Color #362 is Mr Aqueous #337" Greyish Blue) within minutes...

Such efficiency and great customer service cannot go unrewarded so I placed an order for the five colours and, while I was typing this, got another email to say it would be in tonight's post. impressive. Thanks Gav!

• Like 1

Hi Ced,

You may find the following document useful as it lists all colours in Gunze's H-series. Just don't care much about the colour patches, as they aren't necessarily correct.

http://www.rlm.at/download/gunzecolor.pdf

There are series of colours for several different air forces and time periods: RAF WWII, USAAF WWII, Japanese WWII, FS colours, BSC colours, RLM

Of course, there are other generic colours (Red, Green, Black, etc).

Most colours are satin or gloss. There are just a few flat colours. The finish you want is achieved by applying the adequate clear coat.

I thin these paints with Tamyia's X-20A, 60% paint / 40% thinner. This works very well for gloss and satin colours. For flat colours I still have to get a good mix but probably 50% / 50% would be a better mix. I usually spray at low pressure (10-15 psi) and reduce the spray volume in the airbrush to the minimum that provides thin paint layers.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 2