1/72 Heller Gazelle

That clear plastic looks quite horrendous, at least they have provided plenty of material for you to work with :yikes: The reworked window looks a lot better, doing the same with the doors may even bring down the scale thickness. Excellent work so far!

Bob

• Like 1

I did think about making replacements by vac forming, its what I did on the side windows of my Hormone which had irredeemable sink marks, but I have decided that the kit parts are worth persevering with. After sanding and polishing the windows don't sit flush (see RHS) so I filed the flanges to a slight angle and scraped around the aperture until a semblance of flushness was achieved (see LHS):

P1110232_zpsqpf08e99.jpg

I also reduced the width of the flanges as much as I dared and added the inner door detailing to one side:

P1110233_zpslidkmehz.jpg

Here are both sides done:

P1110234_zpspzklftxz.jpg

I wanted to make the cyclic controls next but first I had to get the seats to their final height. I added rails and adjuster bars to the seats:

P1110235_zpsv9zzxkfp.jpg

With the seats tacked in position I could get to work on the controls. Milktrip is quite right about the Extratech cyclics which are way underscale:

P1110236_zpsxih4wrtf.jpg

I wouldn't have used them anyway. I am thinking a combination of 0.5mm brass rod and 0.7mm tube is the way to go.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 13

Looking nice so far and I'm glad to see you're tackling the glazing head on. Don't forget the fire extinguisher on the RHS of the pilot seat- it can't be an "Official Nigel Build" without one.

• Like 1

In preparation for the cyclic controls I punched out some 1.5mm discs and then drilled them though with a 0.5mm drill:

P1110237_zpszyrldpre.jpg

I know those look a bit muddy but now they have dried out they look fine.

Here is my first attempt at the cyclic, you can see how undersized the Extratech PE ones are:

P1110238_zps4squsdkp.jpg

Before fitting the first I made the second one:

P1110239_zpsebwra2hp.jpg

Both were then glued in place:

P1110240_zps4qiaq57s.jpg

P1110241_zpsqcenruiw.jpg

Well that's it from me for tonight. I am sure there will be plenty more tomorrow.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 12

I hope you appreciate that I like being' quite exclusive'

Wandering along on one of your threads is rarely capable of that descriptor young man :nono:

As Aaron says so graphically the detailing so far is great

I'm glad the windows are thick enough to thin 'em, I dont relish another build where I have to trim acetate to fit inside a small 'ole

I think I need to get a massive box of popcorn, you're bound to make me hungry soon

:)

• Like 2

Today I have added the collective controls. The kit design would have the central one standing upright but all my reference pictures show it at an angle so I modified the mounting to get it to sit properly. I also filed the back face of the blocky top to an angle. Then I scribed the rear seat cushions to give them better definition:

P1110242_zpsky3neqhh.jpg

Now for the battery. I used a piece of Blu Tack with the canopy to see how much space was available as well as thinning down some 2.5mm square strip:

P1110243_zps41bvctkn.jpg

With a vac formed canopy there should be a little more room available. I glued it on being careful to leave a slight gap at the rear:

P1110244_zpsgydpl85r.jpg

Checking the upper binacle against its PE facia shows the PE to be slightly over size:

P1110245_zps9e4el9zq.jpg

There is not much scope for sanding it smaller without ruining the details so my solution was to pack it up with a strip of scrap:

P1110246_zps1qitipys.jpg

The acetate for the instruments is disappointingly blank, as I plan to paint the facia black I think one or two Mike Grant instrument decals are called for here:

P1110247_zpsdm03sb2r.jpg

The Extratech rudder pedals won't fit by a country mile, they look a bit overscale as well:

P1110248_zpsx6q3izmi.jpg

My first idea is to chop the pedals in half and glue back together with extra thin superglue, but the result is rather unsatisfactory:

P1110249_zps2vrwt0fi.jpg

I think scratch building may be a better option. Any other ideas?

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 8

Tiny soldering time Nige.....I'm sure you can improve on those. :coolio:

PS - Tend to agree with you about the acetate instrument sheets.....Spent ages faffing about getting them into my Bf.110 and you couldn't see a bloody thing on the dials even with a white backing! :shutup:

• Like 1