F-84G Tamiya 1:48

That's really very nice. I really like paint effect on the fin...

I will echo that and lovely to see one of these fine kits dressed up in something other than the stars 'n' bars - and a good build to boot!

I know Tamiya are among the best kits out there... but you've taken this to a whole new level. It looks fantastic! Nice to see the unorthodox markings too.

~M~

Thank you very much for your replies, I'm glad you like it.

I chipped the tail using the so called hairspray technique, but instead of actual hairspray I sprayed the middle layer between the silver and the red with AK worn effects fluid. It is usually used by armor guys. After the last layer of paint is applied and dry over this fluid you just chip the paint with the wet paintbrush. Very easy for real, almost nothing comparing to headaches caused by polishing and repainting Alclad to achieve the NMF.

• Like 1

Look on any modelling websites and how many variations of a F-84G Thunderjet. do you see... dozens, usually in pristine silver overall. THIS Thunderjet is, by far and away, the best I have ever seen... Excellent build and paint, just excellent. I wouldn't mind seeing a little tutorial on just how they weathering was done.

Thank you very much for your comments.

Well the weathering. After the Alclad was applied, a coat of lacquer followed - Glanzer/Future in this case. It protects the Alclad from being diluted and wiped off when using turpentine wash. Well, almost protected. I found out that in many cases heavy weathered look can be achieved by aggressive wash wiping the protective coat and leaving dirt trails. But beware, once you remove the Alclad, it is almost impossible to respray it without visible marks.

I also used the Tamiya weathering master set D eyeliner...It works awesome on NMF. You can achieve different rugged looks from burnt blue and burnt red and the oil stain brown can be of many uses also. You can apply those with the mentioned eyeliner stick like a pigment or dilute it like a wash.