Yes, of course, my mistake on the RF-4B, most had the original thin wing and only the last had the later slatless wing. I should edit the post accordingly.

Speaking of which, it may be useful to compile a list of versions with all the different features and post it in the reference section of this GB.

Very useful,

I may look at getting this?

http://www.scalemodellingnow.com/hnaircraftkits-revell-f4f-phantom-pharewell

It looks the same as the Tamiya and has the spare outer wings as you said....others have said it wont fit?!

Tim, don't know if it will fit, In any case it will require some work. I'm heading away for work for a few days, when back I'll send you some drawings and info

• Like 1

Thanks Giorgio - don't worry too much, probably beyond my skills tbh! Will try to find a J model - I have a G and FG1 on the go, will do for now!

I'm in a dilemma here: as my fujmi USN Phantom build is teaching me a few new tricks, should I apply these to the ancient Matchbox UK Phantom and build one for the GB ? I'm thinking second issue kit with aeroclub bits and all the various improvements I'm adding to the Fujimi kit.. and of course some good old Modeldecal markings

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 1

I'm in a dilemma here: as my fujmi USN Phantom build is teaching me a few new tricks, should I apply these to the ancient Matchbox UK Phantom and build one for the GB ? I'm thinking second issue kit with aeroclub bits and all the various improvements I'm adding to the Fujimi kit.. and of course some good old Modeldecal markings

If you really, really feel the need Giorgio, but from what I have read, the Matchbox Rhino is best left to the collectors (unnatural beasts that they are), or built quickly to use as a painting test mule. However, it's your hobby, so do as you feel is right. ;) Personally, I'd love to see one given 'the treatment', as it may inspire me to restart the one I abandoned (mumblemumble) years ago.

• Like 1

If you really, really feel the need Giorgio, but from what I have read, the Matchbox Rhino is best left to the collectors (unnatural beasts that they are),

Bit of an odd statement, that! If the definition of a collector is somebody who buys kits and never builds them, then doesn't that apply to all of us? I mean, you may build some of your kits but if your stash is expanding rather than contracting then face it: you're a collector!

Of course, there's no hope for the people who buy old, out of production kits merely to admire the artwork on the box. My feeling is they were put on this Earth so that the trainspotters would have somebody to laugh at.

• Like 2

Rob, you may think about about restarting yours then, I've decided to give this a try ! Can't guarantee about the results or even that it will be completed in time, but may inspire others. Mind, having built the thing before I totally agree that it's an awful kit !

Tim, watched yours, mine may end up having very little OOB but I hope I'll have the same fun you had with yours !

Gordon, I like to think that the difference between collectors and most of us is that we are firmly convinced that one day we'll build all the kits in our stash. That we may succeed is of course a totally different story... :lol:

Maybe we should coin a new word, would "stashers" work ? :D

If you really, really feel the need Giorgio, but from what I have read, the Matchbox Rhino is best left to the collectors (unnatural beasts that they are), or built quickly to use as a painting test mule. However, it's your hobby, so do as you feel is right. ;) Personally, I'd love to see one given 'the treatment', as it may inspire me to restart the one I abandoned (mumblemumble) years ago.

Well, this one from 1969 isn't the best UK Rhino either... ;)

F-4KS%20600.jpg

The kit is as old as me and neither of us have aged with dignity, I quess... :P

• Like 2

Giorgio asked the question, I gave an opinion - I'm not saying 'don't build it coz it's pants and isn't worth the effort' - I'm saying that the general opinion is that there's a lot better out there. Which there is. I have an early release kit, the one that was started and stopped waaaay back in early 1980-something, and a Made in Hong Kong release. And I will build at least the original one. Matchbox kits are fun.

Gordon, my definition of collectors is your second one - people who buy kits just to have them, with no intention ever of opening the box and sticking bits of plastic together. The incidental collector, who just buys more than he builds, is more an object of pity than scorn, methinks. At least I hope so, given that I fit firmly into that group. :D

As has been said by many who are wiser than I, it's your hobby, build what you like.

SAU, the Revell Phantom is (slightly) younger than I am, so I may have to look one up... have fun!

All this concentrated F-4 goodness, I caved in and ordered Eduard's recent 1/48 Limited Edition release of Good Evening Da Nang!

It's a reboxing of the Academy 1/48 F-4C with resin ejection seats, exhausts and wheels, and some photo etch.

Eduard%20Good%20Evening%20Da%20Nang_zpsx

Of the five marking options, at the moment I like the one on the box art the most.

F-4C%2064-0726_zpsdtaonuif.jpg

Given the preponderance of catchy thread titles these days, perhaps a WIP titled something like "Snakes on a Plane". That could be a double entendre if, in fact, it was armed with Snake Eyes.

I won't get an opportunity to start it during this Group Build due to other commitments but I was glad I could get it at this time, knowing there's some excellent work in this forum that I can refer to.

• Like 7

Can anyone give some Phantom advice on painting, specifically using a brush?

I've noticed that the intakes and splitter plates (?) on my kit fit really close to the fuselage, as they should naturally. But there's no possible way of getting a brush in behind them once assembled.

So should I finish that part of the fuselage with paint and then add them? Or glue, assemble and then paint around them?

Sorry for the daft question - my first time building a Phantom!

Thanks in advance,

Dermot

Can anyone give some Phantom advice on painting, specifically using a brush?

I've noticed that the intakes and splitter plates (?) on my kit fit really close to the fuselage, as they should naturally. But there's no possible way of getting a brush in behind them once assembled.

So should I finish that part of the fuselage with paint and then add them? Or glue, assemble and then paint around them?

Sorry for the daft question - my first time building a Phantom!

Thanks in advance,

Dermot

If using a brush, I would paint those areas before assembling the intakes and splitter plates, otherwise it will be practically impossible to reach them at a later stage. This is what i did on the couple of Phantoms I build before buying an airbrush and I was happy with the result.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have just seen this GB and wondered if I would be eligible to participate?

The rules state the model cant be more than 25% complete at the start date of 00:01am on Saturday the 25th of April and here is my state of affairs as of 9th May (in progress thread here - http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234973686-148-phantom-fgr-mk2-big-ed-bits/page-2).

P1010289.jpg

I actually started it some time around January, Im a bit slow as you can see.

This GB might just spur me on to do a bit more and actually finish it. Speaking of "it" its going to be an early FGR2 with a lot of (the wrong) rocket pods in 1/48 with the bits of a Big Ed kit that I dont fudge up.

What do you guys think? Im not at all sure what 25% complete looks like but would be good to join in and get the bloomin thing done.

I think your build is a little more than 25% done. I'd love for you to be able to join with it, but it doesn't look like there is much more to be done apart from paint and weapons. :D

The 25% rule is for any build entry regardless of when the thread is started.

Hope that helps

Sean

No worries, thats fair enough. If only the painting and filling etc was the quick bit for me!

Regardless, Ill use your finish date as an imaginary finish date. I just need to get it done.

Ive a stash of 1/48 stuff, so will keep an eye out for a suitable GB in the future. Theyre typical things though, F104G, MiG21, Hunter, Jaguar, Lightning, Red Arrow Hawk, Airfix Tornado doesnt count as its terrible, Oooooh, I have a nice Su-25 that needs doing.... ;)

Ive a stash of 1/48 stuff, so will keep an eye out for a suitable GB in the future. Theyre typical things though, F104G, MiG21, Hunter, Jaguar, Lightning, Red Arrow Hawk, Airfix Tornado doesnt count as its terrible, Oooooh, I have a nice Su-25 that needs doing.... ;)

The Tornado group build started last week. It might give you the push to do that Tornado... :wicked:

Sean

Stop it! Its taken me over 6 months to get this far with the Phantom!

I am rather keen to get the Su-25 on the go though, loads of AM bits came with that... :poo:

• 3 weeks later...

I am trying to remember how when watching the "Leckies" did the test on the nose wheel steering whilst I was at St Athan over 20 odd years ago. I am sure that with the scissor links disconnected they held the upper scissor link and then put power to the steering. The upper link then moved throughout the range that the wheel would operate, although the bottom half did not move being disconnected. So from what I can remember and the answer to your question is that the nose wheel would steer from just above the upper scissor link nose leg attachment point and it would keep track with the wheel. Hope that this is of some help.

• Like 1

Also, does the 'scissor' strut turn with it or point straight ahead?

I could be mistaken, but I don't think the scissors link on the F-4 nose gear points "straight ahead" relative to the tyres. It points off to port by a considerable amount. Does anyone know why?

Cheers,

Bill