Can't think of any set specifically designed for the Fujimi kit. I've used the Eduard PE set in the past, meant for the hase kit, on a Fujimi F-4F and it looked good in the end but this required a lot of work to modify the kit parts.. As Eduard has a set for the F-4B/N, this could be used on the J

Apart from the configuration of the rear consolles typical of USN Phantoms, the Fujimi kits suffer from a more serious problem: the height of the cockpit tub is wrong, particularly the rear cockpit. This means that the instrument panels end up buried too deep in the fuselage and the consolles are too low. Ideally everything should be brought up.

Hi Giorgio,

thanks for your insight on the Fujimi Phantom woes... The rear console I may be able to scratch build, failing my finding an Eduard PE on time. Re the cockpit tub, I can't say I really understand what you mean. So I'll have to dig the kit out and see for myself, fuselage in hand...

Worse case scenario, as I intend leaving the canopies closed, I may just forget about this if nothing can really be seen clearly.

Cheers

JR

Jean,

I'll try to explain the thing better, I'm sure however that with the parts in your hands you'll see what I mean

The floor of the rear cockpit is too low. This means that every bit standing on the floor ends up too low in the fuselage (apart from the ejection seat that has a couple of ridges). This is particularly visible with the rear instrument panel as this, if glued as the instructions suggest, will not reach the right position but will stay too low. If you think of the central fixed clear part on the Phantom (the one between the two canopies), the instrument panel in the kit barely reach the bottom of this part while on the real aircraft the instruments are above this level as shown in the picture linked below

http://www.projectoceanvision.com/vox-07b.htm

A simple solution is to glue some thick plasticard on the floor. This will lift the instrument panel. Plasticard must then be added to the consolles to raise them. The ejection seat will need the elimination of the two supports on the bottom (needed because of the wrong floor position).

The same problem exists on the 1/72 Italeri and Esci kits

Edited by Giorgio N

• 2 weeks later...

Yes please, another joiner here, if I may?. Never done a Group Build, so this seems a pretty good one to have a crack at (we've all surely got F-4s in the stash somewhere!)

I'm gonna be bold, i have just picked up a Tamiya F-4C/D for a steal from Evilbay - box seems to contain additional sprues for a NAVY centre line tank, NAVy style winder rails & slotted stabilizers.......so, I am going to try an F-4N.......(yes I'll have a think about how I'll sort out the wings!!!)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Despite my GB finishing record being somewhere between 'appalling' and 'deplorable' I just did a stock take of 1/48th Phantoms in my stash and I have 25 kits, everything from old ESCI to Italeri to Revell to Hasegawa to Academy to new Eduard. Also stacks of decals. So will start one on 25th April which is just over four weeks to go. No idea which one or what colour scheme. Can't have too many Phantoms :thumbsup2:

Michael

• Like 1

I've made my decision. My entries will have a Fujimi theme - a Phantom FGR.2 and an F-4F in 172 scale.

I will be building from The Stash - you can't move for the number of Phantoms I have there. The FGR.2 has been in The Stash for nearly a decade but the F-4F qualifies as an Old Friend because it has been there at least three times longer.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm planning on participating. I thought this Group Build would be a good opportunity for me to say g'day.

I'll be doing something relatively straightforward: an out-of-the-box 1/72 Hasegawa JASDF F-4EJ Kai.

• Like 1

Hmmmmm....1 of my favourites....have 3 in the stash - my tradition being to do a 1/72 and 1/48....

I have a Hase RAF FG1 in 1/48 - with some bits

AF953034-7001-46AE-92F8-642A111B79B4_zps

Some extras, decals shot but came with some 2 Sqn decals - but I think they are for and FGR2??? So will need to look for some aftermarket decals - any suggestions?

Then theres the 1/48 Hase F4G - now would fit into my USAFE/RAF Lakenheath project too.....tempted by the Euro 1 available in the the kit decals but not sure of the quality....or I could go with one of the the Hill Grey 2 - both from Spangdhalem......could do with a couple of AGM 88 HARM's though...

E5651C03-CDB4-4CBC-8F2E-DDBD9071E851_zps

Now I also picked up a 1/72 Matchbox FG1/FGR 2

1580E387-5F53-4A61-BA8A-0026B75CE0D8_zps

Think the decals are shot...so aftermarket....big problem when I checked today is that the glass is missing....doh....anyone any ideas? Can I buy aftermarket?

Now is it to be a RN F1 or RAF F1 model or the FGR2 .....

Choices choices - any ideas advice welcome!!

• Like 3

big problem when I checked today is that the glass is missing....doh....anyone any ideas? Can I buy aftermarket?

Phantom canopies were pretty standard so anything should do. Try this one.

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/RBT72076

• Like 2

Except the Matchbox Spey Phantom is only somewhat Phantom shaped. I have a couple of them, and I'm saving them for a time when I want to build a Matchbox model, as opposed to a Phantom. Although as a quick build to test painting and weathering techniques, they'd be good enough.

• Like 2

True, but the Matchbox canopy is notoriously wonky; I believe the framing is molded on to both the kit and the clear parts, making everything super weird,

• Like 1

Brilliant, I try to keep an eye on Rob Taurus catalogue to check any news but I had totally missed this one. As I'm another with more than one Matchbox abomination in the stash, these will be useful indeed !

Yes, there are problems with the framing and what happened was that the clear parts represent what is actually clear on the Phantom but then additional framings were moulded on these. The solution would be to sand the framing from the clear parts

There are of course other inaccurate areas, worst of all is the radome. This was improved somewhat in the second edition, that is the one that Tim has shown in his post. Still, even the improved parts are not too accurate and would benefit from a replacement. On my kits I'm planning to add a resin copy of the Hasegawa or Fujimi kits, or even an Italeri F-4S radome.

The landing gear is also pretty bad, particularly the wheels. Well, really the list would be almost endless...

Now that I think about it, I may build one of my Matchbox Phantoms for this STGB...

• Like 3

Then theres the 1/48 Hase F4G - now would fit into my USAFE/RAF Lakenheath project too.....tempted by the Euro 1 available in the the kit decals but not sure of the quality....or I could go with one of the the Hill Grey 2 - both from Spangdhalem......could do with a couple of AGM 88 HARM's though...

Here's a couple of choices for HARM's, both good.

Ted

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/ED648180

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/ASQ48008

• Like 1

Just so nobody feels lonely building a Matchbox Phantom, I'm going with this even older relic,,,

Airfix_F4_Phantom_kit_box__zpspfbxfh5u.j

Having read the Osprey Mig Killers book a few years back, I've always wanted to do one. Finally got the decals so will have some fun with the Airfix kit, spruce her up a little and just have some fun really!

All the best,

Dermot

• Like 6

Here is my entry for the GB. Whilst I have used detail sets and completed a couple of resin figures, this will be my first aircraft kit in resin. The kit also has a small etch fret for detailing the cockpit, white metal u/c legs and a couple of vac form canopies so there is plenty to keep it interesting.

CIMG3120_zpsztktbvvk.jpg

Should be a lot of fun, looking forward to starting it soon.

• Like 3