1/72 Jet Provosts - Finished

Zone19 I stand corrected, Thought he'd been booted for this Pilot strips off in protest over security. Looks like letting Robbie Savage onto the JS wasn't a good idea either.

article-1161251-0196125F00000578-737_224

Before or after the wack over the head for the pin?

Edited by Cheshiretaurus

His last trip on XV wasn't covered in glory either!

Zone19 - I must have arrived as you left. Didn't go to the gulf - ended up in the leper colony on II(AC). Was there for the disbandment then went to much happier times at Bruggen for 3 tours.

Edited by feifeitim
  • Like 1

Zone19 I stand corrected, Thought he'd been booted for this Pilot strips off in protest over security. Looks like letting Robbie Savage onto the JS wasn't a good idea either.

Before or after the wack over the head for the pin?

I think it was a combination of both, with the 'Pants' incident coming about because of the later....And the picture is probably after, as he wasn't (in)famous till the 1st Gulf...LOL

His last trip on XV wasn't covered in glory either!

Zone19 - I must have arrived as you left. Didn't go to the gulf - ended up in the leper colony on II(AC). Was there for the disbandment then went to much happier times at Bruggen for 3 tours.

No it wasn't...He deliberately 'Banged Out' over the Baltic because he threw his teddy out of his pram about something!!!!

I flew Pablo back to the UK at the end of the Gulf. He had just been in the papers declaring that he didn't want to fly fast jets again. He came up to the flight deck and was particularly interested in the truckie lifestyle (eating, drinking err can't think of anything else important....)

Cheers

Glen

No it wasn't...He deliberately 'Banged Out' over the Baltic because he threw his teddy out of his pram about something!!!!

Did he have to eject multiple times? I thought he'd been command-ejected by the navigator when he lost control of the aircraft.

After a pig of a week at work and very little time for modelling - I have at least and at last got the JP3 fuselage ready to zip up by finishing off the seats - both the solo-fied apron covered starboard one and the regular port variety. Here they is to compare:

e9fedbf0a9d0b14c84fc39f5ff94b4b3_zpsddab

40a6080eacdd4abb89731c07926585d8_zps2469

And here they is in the tub. Obviously only the starboard seat gets leg restraints.

As my Beefer used to say every so often, "the OTHER starboard...". [Come to think of it, do the Air Force use the word 'Beefer' for QFI / QHI? It's been the standard FAA slang word for those delightful individuals for decades, but I don't know whether you crustaceans use it.]

I'd be chuffed to bits with seats like that in 1/48, my scale of choice. In 1/72 they are just laughably brilliant.

• Like 1

Pablo Mason. Hmm. He sound like "a character" as they say......

Cheshire - Check this out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pablo_Mason hey ho...My claim to fame is slapping him round the head for removing his Seat Pan Pin whilst I was stood above him :fight:

Hope he had the grace to apologise. Bit of a no-no that.

I learned to enjoy the ritual and the banter of the walk-round and strapping in. Giving the wind up hand signal for engine start was always a bit of a sneakly thrill to my mind. I also liked the bit when you were lined up in formation at the end of the run way for take-off - engines at 100% dry and ready for the burners (probably not as impressive in a Jag as Tonka admittedly) - and then - giving the exaggerated nod to signal brakes off and burners in - I never entirely lost the thrill of that moment. From then on it was down to work - but them's the rather ancient reminisences of middle aged ex flyer and current lawyer.

Course. How much banter you had with the lineys depended - at least to some extent on how much stress you were under for the trip. Bit maxed out - rushing - maybe a kit dump on the first a/c = taciturn and maybe inexcusably impatient (and no doubt coming across as a right pratt). The more time you got on the jet/on a sqn then the less pressure you should have been under at the start of a trip - simples - but some guys remained pratts when interacting with the ground crew for their entire careers. Hope I wasn't one of em :) Hence my question about whether PM aplogised....

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 2

The JP3 tub is now (hooray) finally and irretrevably stuck into the starboard (thinks - yes definitely starboard) fuselage - after a fair amount of fettling to thin down the lower outer section of the seat. And the whole tub/fuselage/instrument panel confection fits together and lines up reasonably well (had to fettle some offf the port seat as well). Was out at a christmas ball last night (Tux's plus foxtrotting/waltzing - jolly nice) and so didn't press ahead and glue the fuselage halves together.

Actually I'm a bit nervous of zipping up the fuselage. This is the first resin kit I've done and I'm very conscious of how soft the resin is - and how fine the detail on the surfaces. I really need to get the halves lined up perfectly - but at the same time have to use cyano to do the fixing. Not sure at present how best to rationalize the competing demands of quick setting glue vs getting glue on all necessary surface vs getting the surfaces lined up accurately. Anyways this is how the cockpit presents now that the seats have disappeared into the coal hole of a 1950's era british black pit:

89F462D8-9EC4-4D5F-9209-AD4D8177F07A_zps

3A0E6184-4AFD-4925-864F-8C6FC82D7640_zps

B0DAFA05-9D7C-4366-B129-CD6B9FD7D16D_zps

And alongside it's Airfix JP5 sibling:

46CCACD8-01B3-4EEB-A4D5-E8A23EA1F1CA_zps

I'm glad I decided to use the CMR seats as the basis for the seats in both JPs - it brings them together.

Steve

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 2

Fantastic!!

As to sticking the resin fuselage together, just don't try to do it in one hit. Small tacks of superglue applied with a bit of fine wire or a pin to align it can still be carefully removed if, (like I usually do) you cock it up on the first attempt!

Absolutely lovely work on both tubs Steve, tremendous stuff!! :thumbsup:

Keith

• Like 1

Wot Woody says

They are bloody brilliant Steve

(I knew you knew but I just couldnt resist mentioning - you would not have gone left when you needed to go right after all)

I dont envy you learning this new substance so publically either.

Just making my cheapo Plastic Padding engines was a fraught enough business, this 'ere with some experten hanging on your every picture

W O W , some neck mate.

Anyway, keep on keeping on. I love all the disassociated 'other stuff' you bring along with the building.

Fantastic

b

I'm quite pleased with the whole seat apron idea as adds a bit of difference and interest to the cockpit. The kit cockpit is otherwise so good that there's nowt to do to personalise it (save I suppose correct the seats - odd that they got the seats wrong).

The idea came to me cos I thought of doing the JP3 I did my first solo in. Got me thinking.

The irony is - that the first solo is actually done (at least mine wos) without the apron - the instructor just hopped out with the engine running and bundled the straps up and said off you go young man; once around the circuit and land!

Thanks for the tip about the fuselage Keef.

• Like 1

- the instructor just hopped out with the engine running and bundled the straps up and said off you go young man; once around the circuit and land!

And wasn't that just one of the best feelings ever?! I still remember being amazed at the new rocket like climb rate of the Bulldog without Mr.Bulky Instructor sat alongside.....!! :D

• Like 1

I flew Pablo back to the UK at the end of the Gulf. He had just been in the papers declaring that he didn't want to fly fast jets again. He came up to the flight deck and was particularly interested in the truckie lifestyle (eating, drinking err can't think of anything else important....)

There was an incident with him and the Wing Co of XV Sqn Jim Broadbent, during GW1, but that's not for here...

Did he have to eject multiple times? I thought he'd been command-ejected by the navigator when he lost control of the aircraft.

See above, he wanted off Fast Jets after GW1 - But wasn't allowed, that was the official line.....And that was his 3rd ejection.

Pablo Mason. Hmm. He sound like "a character" as they say......

Hope he had the grace to apologise. Bit of a no-no that.

Course. How much banter you had with the lineys depended - at least to some extent on how much stress you were under for the trip. Bit maxed out - rushing - maybe a kit dump on the first a/c = taciturn and maybe inexcusably impatient (and no doubt coming across as a right pratt). The more time you got on the jet/on a sqn then the less pressure you should have been under at the start of a trip - simples - but some guys remained pratts when interacting with the ground crew for their entire careers. Hope I wasn't one of em :) Hence my question about whether PM aplogised....

Oh he apologised most profusely, usually he was a good egg, most of our Growbags were decent types...But there were a couple of them who were (In the 'word' of James May) 'Cock's'!!! One is now famous....

Still a bloody awesome build :)

In my years of perusing forum posts, I've often thought that it would be a great tragedy if someone doesn't sit down and collect a definitive oral history of the RAF in the 1970s-1990s for posterity.

• Like 4

In my years of perusing forum posts, I've often thought that it would be a great tragedy if someone doesn't sit down and collect a definitive oral history of the RAF in the 1970s-1990s for posterity.

Only if they have bloody good lawyer! (Steve - you available?)

• Like 2

Very fine work Steve. It occurs to me as I travel along with you that things are improving as we go. The Chipmunk was superb and these two are quite astonishing. I'm bracing myself for subsequent builds!

I agree with Keef about the glueing tactic in that tacking the fuselage might be a smoother approach than attempting the whole thing in one shot. Dots of extra thin CA applied with the tip of a pin or piece of wire will wick along the seam quite nicely.

Re: the lining up of said fuselage halves, is there any mileage in glueing small tabs inside the fuselage to aid alignment?

If you snip off short lengths of plastic extrusion and glue them strategically around the inside of one half they should (in theory) line up the other side..... :hmmm:

This is most inspirational, keep up the good work.

Cheers. :clap:

• Like 2

I've often said the same thing about the Swedish Air Force where I spent close to 40 years before retiring. There are a couple of veterans on Facebook who share a lot of stories, but it's only the type of stories that doesn't have to be "censored", nothing of the juicy stuff and no mentioning of "names". But I know from my own experienece after all those years, that there are pleny of that other type of stories (know quite a few ones myself), :Tasty: especially from the mess. :yikes: I've often said that if the mess walls ever could talk, they would shut up and keep quiet! :tapedshut:

Edited by Sten Ekedahl
  • Like 5