Airfix's next Spitfire

Denford

I'd like a Vc They've got the fuselage, just need the new wing.

Add my vote ! The Vc is a very important subvariant, served in every theatre with many interesting colour schemes and markings, yet we've had plenty of mainstream Vbs and only a crude attempt at a Vc.

Add my vote ! The Vc is a very important subvariant, served in every theatre with many interesting colour schemes and markings, yet we've had plenty of mainstream Vbs and only a crude attempt at a Vc.

Are you forgetting the Special Hobby Vc? I know it takes a bit of care, but I wouldn't call it "crude".

Are you forgetting the Special Hobby Vc? I know it takes a bit of care, but I wouldn't call it "crude".

For some reason I still consider Special Hobby to be not a "mainstream" manufacturer. And maybe I'm wrong, as the spitifire Vc has the feel of a mainstream product more than of a short run and some MPM/SH kits have been happily reboxed by the likes of italeri and revell.

Same for 1/72 where Sword has a beautiful kit, that some consider the very best 1/72 spitfire, but again it's a short run kit.

True that these short run kits are not more difficult to build than many older mainstream kits that still get reboxed today !

I hope for Spits Vc, Griffon fighter Spitfires and some Seafires and Spitfires Mk.I/IIb (there's the fuselage only new wings are needed) and maybe Hurricane Mk.I, Defiant, Whirlwind, new Battle and Curtiss Hawk 75 - all in 72nd of course.

Did someone mention a MKXI? I think Airfix already have one!

IMG_5342.jpg

Well, you do have to cross kit the MKXIX and MKIX to get it but you have the bits left over for an Airfix MKXIV! Whats not to like!

Rick.

-_- Am I missing something here, yesterday, I was in WH Smiths checking on the latest model magazines, and there was an Airfix advert for Spitfires, the latest offering being an F22 in 1/72nd. Looking on the Airfix website there is an advert for an F22 Spitfire in 2 markings, one NMF and one camoflage, looked very nice, so nice that it is out of stock.

Robin.

-_- Am I missing something here, yesterday, I was in WH Smiths checking on the latest model magazines, and there was an Airfix advert for Spitfires, the latest offering being an F22 in 1/72nd. Looking on the Airfix website there is an advert for an F22 Spitfire in 2 markings, one NMF and one camoflage, looked very nice, so nice that it is out of stock.

Robin.

Don;t worry, it doesn't mean you've missed it. What you are missing, and to be fair the Airfix website is somewhat ambiguous in this regard, is that every new Airfix product first appears on the website as "out of stock" until the stock arrives from the Far East and they actually start selling them.

It would be more customer friendly if they had an extra flag that said "Not yet in stock", to cover these situations.

So nice that once again the ads came out before the product reached the shelves. What is the point in an advert when you can't get the product?

You have to book advertising space many weeks in advance, long before you have the product in stock ready to send out, and you never know exactly when you are going to get the ship in, get it all through customs etc.

People go to the website and put in their email addresses to be notified when it's in stock. Then Airfix gets a direct sale, and they also get their customers' email addresses. It is far better commercially for Airfix to generate demand in advance, and word of mouth, than to risk the product arriving before the advertising, which leaves a lot of expensive stock lying around on the shelves expanding their working capital requirement. Poor control of working capital is mostly what causes companies to go bust.

Personally I think they ought to go one step further and accept advance orders. At the moment Amazon is taking all that business from them.

Edited by Work In Progress

Airfix seem to be giving us a new Spitfire each year, so my question is what will come next (year)?

I don't normally enter into speculative discussion/debate on topics like this but since they have replaced their Mk.I/Mk.II with a new kit, they have replaced their Mk.IX with a new kit and have offered late marks as new kits, I wouldn't be surprised if they do a new Mk.V... perhaps even a series of them: Mk.Va, Mk.Vb, Mk.Vb trop, Mk.Vc, etc.

Or they may scale down their Mk.XII now that it has been well received and a good seller.

My 2 bob's worth...

It's been posted before: their new Mk I/IIa kit has the bits for a Mk Va, easy to release with appropriate markings. I plan to use a spare set of markings from my AZmodel(?) Va.

Just make a new sprue with wing and trop filter and they'd have the Vb; same with Vc but that might need a bit more work as it looks to be more different than just the wing, to me.

Tim

So nice that once again the ads came out before the product reached the shelves. What is the point in an advert when you can't get the product?

To advertise it? Just like film trailers, TV "coming soon" spots and singles for albums that have yet to be released?

I don't normally enter into speculative discussion/debate on topics like this but since they have replaced their Mk.I/Mk.II with a new kit, they have replaced their Mk.IX with a new kit and have offered late marks as new kits, I wouldn't be surprised if they do a new Mk.V... perhaps even a series of them: Mk.Va, Mk.Vb, Mk.Vb trop, Mk.Vc, etc.

Or they may scale down their Mk.XII now that it has been well received and a good seller.

My 2 bob's worth...

IIRC,a new V series was announced when the new I/II was announced.

Let's see the XII and Seafires XVII/F.46/47 scaled down to 1/72nd.

Scaling down the XII and XVII would also open up the possibilities for cross-kitting

to produce a Seafire XV,and if a new V is done,a Seafire III using the XVII wing.

doesn't a seafire 46 have folding wings though so the f22 wings wouldn't be right.

No , only the 47 has folding wings . That's why the Airfix Seafire 46/47 kit has 2 sets of wings .

If you add a larger Spitfire FR18 rudder on the same srue, you'd have a neat F21 contraprop conversion...

Not quite: earlier correpondence on this site indicates that a slightly different rudder was used with contraprops.

Be very careful with this as there are several photos of test installations made before the final configuration was decided

Yes, it would, as has been pointed out to me elsewhere . . .

Stewart

Not quite: there are some other essential changes which are frequently missed. Let's wait till the Airfix kit arrives, which by all accounts won't be long now.