Fairey Gannet AEW 1:72 Alley Cat

Greetings all,

I got this beauty at SMW back in November and started almost straight away, Over Christmas it progressed really well then my life turned to poo-poo, my dad died, a planned move to Canada was put on hold until 2012, work has been very busy and also started my resettlement to leave the Navy, so its been traumatic. I'm now ready to do a bit of serious modelling, hopefully full Mojo will return for the Airfix starter GB, in the meantime its time to try and finish a few kits.

About the kit, this is the best resin kit (gives a few IM kits a run for their money!) i had the pleasure to build. The fit was very good and the design of the kit also clever with its lateral split. There was minimal cleaning up. The prop jig works very well, the internal detail is more than acceptable at this scale. Decals were good and crisp. I can't rate this kit highly enough, if a wing fold was available it would only enhance it. The kit was finished with xtracolour sky and humbrol DSG with Halfords sprays for the other colours (If only Halfords did a DSG and sky spray can then I would race through my kits!!). The only thing missing is the aerial wire, but I shall save that for a sunny day (Too many rainy ones!). Next to come hopefully will be a phantom, mosquito (both Naval of course!) and a couple of ships.

Enjoy the phots!! :)

Bob

095-1.jpg

101-1.jpg

106-1.jpg

104-1.jpg

103-1.jpg

108-1.jpg

102-1.jpg

094-1.jpg

Bob,

Glad to see your Mojo is back and things are settling down again, my Mojo went AWOL too, but we're both back where we belong, except you just happen to crank out one of my other favourite military aircraft and confirms what I really already knew that Ali had made us yet another cracking kit, which you Sir, have done superb justice and thank you for sharing :worthy:

Bexy

P.S: You've now just boosted this years wish list by one and I think I will be shot coming home with this one :yikes:

Thanks for the kind words!

Just to answer a few questions:

It was put together with superglue - thick gloopy stuff, the runny stuff gets everywhere, and i mean everywhere! :analintruder:

No issues putting it together, a couple of minor 'adjustments' but no issues.

It has just had an operational double nose wheel change, hence no port and stbd nose wheels :whistle:

and yes it is well worth getting shot for.

:thumbsup:

Cheers now

Bob

Great looking Gannet and spot on build, well done on taking the plunge to go for the resin kit. Would love to see the AEW in plastic.

Bob,

Very sad to hear your news, hope everything is on the right track for you now. Good luck with your resettlement from the Navy.

You've made a brilliant job of the Gannet, you were braver than me with opening the rear hatches! I fully concurr with everything that you say about the kit, one of the best I've ever built in all formats. Just wish they'd do it in 1/48. There's rumours that Classic Airframes is starting up again so we might be lucky.

Cheers Bob and well done again.

Ian S.