Halfords plastic Primer

Seamus

Afternoon all,

Just a quick question for you. I'm thinking of giving Halfords plastic primer a whirl and was wondering if it would be OK to use enamels, specifically Xtracolor and humbrol, on top of it once I've got the model primed?

Cheers

Shaun :)

Afternoon all,

Just a quick question for you. I'm thinking of giving Halfords plastic primer a whirl and was wondering if it would be OK to use enamels, specifically Xtracolor and humbrol, on top of it once I've got the model primed?

Cheers

Works a treat for me. The grey is a nice colour to paint over, and the white primer has uses too. Just be wary with a new can as it comes out quickly at first.

Oh. dries in no time too, just rather smelly so wear a face mask is my advice.

Steve

Don't.

I only ever use the ordinary primer...an have had no problems with Humbrol, Xtracolor, Revell, Tamiya, Lifecolor, Xtracrylix or Alclad.

the plastic primer is designed for car bumpers, which are ABS (Acetbrutrylstyrene...or something like that) and it is an 'etch' plastic primer..it eats into the surface. I tried it once...it ruined the model...and i threw it and the model away.

Hope this helps,

Phil

Thanks for the replies folks, interesting to see a conflict iin opinion :hmmm:

Think I'll try the plastic primer first on a test model, see how that goes

Cheers

I use Halfords Plastic Primer on every model that I build and I've never had a problem with it - either reacting with the plastic under the paint, or the colour coats that I use on top of it.

Hope this helps!

Spence

3312771832_c19987074d.jpg

Always use Halfords Grey or White primer on my models and have never had any problems with them - using either enamel or acrylic over them.

It's not specifically designed for use with plastic, but is the bog standard one for priming after doing car body work repair.

On a large model, I'll spray it directly from the can, if it's a smaller model I decant it so I can use it in my air-brush.

When completely dry you might want to smooth it down with 1500 grit abrasive paper for extra smoothness - the same as you would if you used it for car body repair.

Karl

Edited by Karl

it needs to be applied thinly , build it up with several coats and let it dry (when it stops smelling ! + 24 hrs) - pooling or runs will let the 'hot' solvents attack the underlying plastic . been there , done that ! :analintruder:

• Like 1

Afternoon all,

Cheers

Hi Seamus

If you want to us a primer from Halfords, may I suggest their acryllic primer. It come in white and mid grey and goes on very well. Ive painted quite a few models usin this as an undercoat and had no problems whatsoever. Goes on like a dream and so far no problems with applying other types of paint on top.

Hope this helps.

Colbee2004

another vote for Halfords primer :) Funnily enough just picked up one of the huge 500ml cans for £6.99 on the way home tonight.

usually use Humbrol ratttle can grey primer, but for the Red Arrow i've just finished I wanted a white coat down, so picked up a Halfords can. Its good stuff, but the only criticism is it comes out very fast so in my experience ( only 2 models with it ) you need to lay it down in thin coats from a good distance. If you apply it too closely or too heavily, it pools up and runs very easily.

Almost ruined the Hawk because of that! noticed just in the nick, but did have a lovely thick run down the side of the exhaust I had to sand back :S