Vac form start-up, what would sell well?

Scratchbuilder

My real passions are Sports and racing aircraft and prototypes.

Hi Martin

Have you then considered the Martin Baker 2, MB.3 and Miles M.20?

A couple were done in resin, but with a hefty prcie tag, and are OOP I beleive. And vacs are going to be cheaper?

I take it you mean Experimental planes, Colin? Not up with all the expressions.

Isn't that just prototypes by a modern name?

Martin

No, it can mean test types, like the P.1127 Harrier demostartor, or the small scale planes built to test the Vulcan and Victor wings, my coonection keeps cutting out so I'm not about to google them...

cheers

T

Browse the forums for people complaining about yellowed canopies in older MPM, Special Hobby, Azur, Classic Airframes and other mainly Czech-produced short-run kits.

That's a huge market and the tooling should be relatively inexpensive.

Vedran

Edited by dragonlanceHR

We're all getting old Martin... so get a move on then! :lol:

Aye but some of us are older than others Mike

Martin the 188 is a great shape and with the FD2 they would be a great pair in 1/48

Another possible might be some of Hawkers early jets that came between the Sea Hawk and Hunter?

Building an entire vacform kit is quite daunting (to me, any way). Maybe conversion parts would shift a bit better, a new fuselage or set of wings. Something like a fuselage to make a Lancastrian out of a Lancaster maybe?

Martin, I see that you are already proficient in doing masters and your plan of including resins and decals sounds good too, we might have some quality product coming soon then !

Experimental 1/48 jets sounds like a good area, with plenty of interesting subjects, UK and not only. Maintrack did a good number of these in 1/72 scale in the past but 1/48 has not been well served (actually has not been served at all), IMHO they are perfect subjects for small productions like the one you have in mind. There are many types that could attract interest, the FD2 of course but also the Avro 707, the Bristol 188, the EAP... and if you want to look at non UK types there's so many more !

Best of luck with your venture !!!

Thanks, gents. It's good to know I may have stirred a few souls with my choice of subjects.

Whilst I can get good white metal and even photo-etch done for a reasonable price, I am defeated by decals. Time was when I could knock out some a/w and take it down to the local silk screen printers and a week later I had maybe 50 sets of decals in say four or five colours for not much money, but now it is a nightmare getting them done. Once again, it falls to a Czech producer to get my decals done for the slot cars.

Any suggestions as to a reasonably priced reliable supplier here would be most appreciated.

So let's take it then that I will do Experimental test aircraft in 1/48th scale such as those mentioned above and civil aircraft including Schneider Trophy 'planes, because, erm....I bloody love 'em!! And I love the scale too. I make model fishing boats in 1/4" scale, as we old salts call it.

I must thank Lars on another forum for his extensive help with vac-form mould making info too and for showing me that the little Waco Cabin floatplane is rather sweet!

Cheers,

Martin

John, you read my mind! I've been fascinated with that great, but unsuccessful aircraft since I was a kid, reading Eagle comic. It's frightening how many of those kites are now so old!

Like me, I guess!

Martin

Another avid Eagle reader here!

How about a 1:48th Anastasia - Dan Dare's personal ship? I'm serious, y'know.

Kind regards,

Joachim

Hi Martin, not sure if it has been suggested but I know more than just a few modellers interested in a Tu-128 1/48.

There is a model in 1/72 to use a reference.

Regards

Adrian

I take it you mean Experimental planes, Colin? Not up with all the expressions.

Isn't that just prototypes by a modern name?

Martin

Hi MArtin, No as in US X-planes X-1, X-5 etc, there are soem tasty subjects and it would widen the market share for you having US subjects. Check out Jay Miller's book The X Planes.

Colin

Adrian, I know next to nowt about Russian aircraft! My chum once had a Yak 50 for beating up the Norfolk skies, but that's it.

Colin, the X planes of the US would indeed be good sellers and I will keep them in mind.

Initially, I think we'll go with the FD2 and a Schneider Trophy 'plane, possibly the S5.

After that?....let's see.

I have measurements somewhere and a video walkround of a Fairchild Argos with the Ranger inline engine that belonged to my friend, but was lost in the disastrous Felthorpe fire.

Cheers,

Martin

Well, I have a good drawing of the FD2 and it would have been sized to 48th today if the PO hadn't have closed early!

I also have the S5 ready to be sized. Might even get the Ureol blocks cut tomorrow if the weather holds.

Martin

I think an area that is extremely missed out in 1/48 are the Airfield / Aircraft Carrier type vehicles.

That might certainly be worth thinking about and wouldn't be too dificult to vacform?

If Airfix would make some of their old 1/72 re-fuellers and crash vehicles in 1/48 I think they would fly off the shelves for dioramas.

Murdo,

I think you're right there. I'm amazed how few there are. In fact my thread about vehicles that go with aircraft came up with the same thoughts.

They would have to be in w/m or resin because of the detail, so would be a bit pricey, but certainly worth looking into.

Martin

How about having the forms diecut? Clients would be able to start right off the bat instead of having to remove the forms from the sheets.

1) Added cost

2) Packaging ?

Vs clients looking at one less step.

Anyone else got an opinion on this?

Hi all,

my son has made two vac-formers and I would like to give him a couple of projects to start him of in a small way.

Any suggestions for what would sell?

Martin

What about something simple like fuel tanks, and various bumps you get on aircraft?

Radleigh,

I am resurrecting a 1980s private jet master for Heritage Aviation at the moment, in 1/48th scale and it's a beauty!

A rich git's aerial go-kart!

Watch this space.

Martin

Any clues as to what?

Just a thought too, what about 32nd scale Yak-52, Yak-18 (all variants)...although I'm probably on my own there?

Av8fan,

tooling would be a nightmare and frankly, if somebody can't score and snap round a bit of styrene, they certainly won't finish the model!

Gruffy,

that's a good idea, except I know very little about military aircraft and unless I was pointed at good drawings, I wouldn't know what the things even were. My choices will be from civil and research aircraft with flying boats and seaplanes thrown in for good measure.

Non military and all in 1/48th scale.

Cheers,

Martin

• Like 1