P-51 crash - Duxford

CCC

Just watched the footage, incredible that the pilot managed to bail out, must have had literally seconds to get out at that height.

i guess he had a split second descision to make stick with it and try to land it or bail out RIGHT NOW

first off no fire which is good, though it is a crumpled wreak on the ground most restorers have work with less and worst. So l would not be surprised if it rebuild and flying again

Edited by hacker

Reading the Youtube comments and someone said the Fokker Triplane crashed?? Is that true?

Howard

Hi,

The triplane ended on its nose at landing.

Cheers,

Sébastien

Reading the Youtube comments and someone said the Fokker Triplane crashed?? Is that true?

Howard

A replica Fokker Triplane DR-1 crashed at the Geneseo NY Airshow this past weekend. Lost power and was attempting a controlled dead stick landing and didn't quite make the runway. Got its landing gear tripped up by cornstalks. The plane flipped over, but the pilot got out unharmed.

Cheers,

Bill

What other planes have crashed?

Shuttleworth's Bucker Jungmann came down during the morning of the July Military Pageant a couple weeks back, the pilot was unhurt.

Kennet's Seafire 17 made a belly landing in France after undercarriage failure, the pilot was unhurt.

B-17 Liberty Belle made an emergency landing in the US after an engine caught fire, crew escaped unhurt.

French based B-25 came down a month or so ago, crew unhurt.

Not good, but amazingly none of these incidents have proved fatal, which is of course the main thing.

Not good - I only heard about this a few hours back..I've not had no internet for a few weeks (moved house) so I don't know.. I knew about the B-17 sadly though.

What about the Fw-190.. any news on that from when it ditched into water?