Malta 1940-42 GB

I don't know about interesting .....time consuming certainly ..already have about 6 or 7 "must do" subjects ....can we extend by about a year ... :o

In this post maltadefender suggested a cutoff point of 20 June 1942. That still leaves us spoiled for choice. If I was only to consider Spitfire colour schemes, I reckon there are five clearly ientifiable variations. I shall be doing two for this GB and saving the others for later. I've been doing a fair bit of research for this GB. I even read First Light by Geoffrey Wellum. I'm fascinated by the whole Malta story, not to mention horrified at the hideous privations everyone on the island had to deal with.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you both for the comments and thought you're putting into it - and everyone who's planning to join for that matter.

I don't want to jinx the thing, but with the variety of builds being discussed I hope this will be a special GB with many and varied subjects - and colours!

Let's keep talking... it's good for the soul of your first-time hosts, you know! :D

Here's my 'deck blue' Spit... delivery tank in place so I didn't have to weather or fade her!

f6e441e8.jpg

9abade09.jpg

'Generic' Temperate Land Scheme Hurri...

CIMG1096.jpg

Malta Night Fighter Unit Hurri...

e06dfef6.jpg

Warby's Beaufighter

9329c62d.jpg

And plenty more where they came from!

Edited by maltadefender

talking of colours.... What should I be looking at for my Wildcat. Believe it was grey over white (rather than pacific schemes)... Have plenty of time for research but things tend to get left to the last minute with me so getting this in now while I remember.... I may consider adding some detail if my Helldiver is finished (can't cope with 2 builds with lots of going on at once)

Anyone venture a guess to the camou colours on this one?

Caption and description:

Spitfire in Malta 15 May 1943.

Air Vice-Marshall Keith Park about to taxi out in his personal Spitfire V to mark the opening of Malta's new airstrip in Safi

5563260675_a997ceb8a9_o.jpg

regards,

Jack

Anyone venture a guess to the camou colours on this one?

Caption and description:

Spitfire in Malta 15 May 1943.

Air Vice-Marshall Keith Park about to taxi out in his personal Spitfire V to mark the opening of Malta's new airstrip in Safi

5563260675_a997ceb8a9_o.jpg

regards,

Jack

looks brown & Green with sky underside..... i guess it is not a Malta-based Spit

It's Malta all right, and a lovely shot too! However it was taken in May 1943!

Looks to me like Sea Scheme over Azure Blue, which was painted on some Spits and Beaus (including the Beaufort on display in the RAF Museum in its Malta markings - although even the museum information states that the actual scheme is hotly contested!).

542266.jpg

Park arrived on Malta in July 1942, replacing Pughe Lloyd as AVM. His first personal aircraft was a Hurricane Mk.II OK-2 (following on from his BoB Hurricane OK-1), which has been modelled in Temperate Land Scheme and Tropical Land Scheme - or, as here, a combination of both!

AA35502_3.JPG

This picture of Park is reportedly standing in front of his Malta Hurricane - which, if you want to make a Park model for the GB, is the one to go for.

Sir_Keith_Park.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have found my inspiration.

Beaufighter T4705 as flown by Adrian Warburton. It was a PR version, 'locally' modified by No2 PRU in Egypt and acquired by Hugh Pughe Lloyd for Maltese operations. It was painted in 'dark blue', presumably on top of a 'browns/blue', North Africa scheme, had all armament and most of the armour removed and being a ton and a half lighter than standard, went like stink. 'Warby' said it was the fastest thing in the Med in January 1942. He was chased home to Malta by Italian fighters no less than 12 times in the Beau, and was once attacked by our own Hurricanes as well. He escaped them all.

I have very little reference material on this aircraft apart from a page or two in Faith, Hope and Malta GC by Tony Spooner. p.127-8. If anyone has more info and especially photos, I would be very grateful indeed.

I'll be using a Tamiya 1/48 kit BTW.

Edit: I just found this thread which is very helpful and has a picture too.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...;hl=beaufighter

Edited by per ardua ad ostentationem

Great to see the interest building again in this GB.

I'm still not sure whether I can participate, as all I've got is this....

Malta-HE111.jpg

Apparantly the one in front is from 2/KG26, stationed in the 'Mediterranian' in 1942-43.

Can anyone set me straight on this please? Would this qualify as a Malta machine for the purposes of the GB?

Cheers

Cliff

Apparantly the one in front is from 2/KG26, stationed in the 'Mediterranian' in 1942-43.

Can anyone set me straight on this please? Would this qualify as a Malta machine for the purposes of the GB?

Cheers

Cliff

"In August 1942 6.III./KG 26 moved to Grosseto, Sicily. On 10 August 1942 it sank two freighters from the convoy Pedestal." [Wikipedia]

Sounds eligible to me, Cliff

According to Wiki they did do operations over Malta in early 1941. No indiction on whether the scheme in the kit depicts this as they were operating from Sicily at the time but I would think this bird would count.

Assuming i clear a few of the ships off the slipway before March (which i should) I think I might jump in with a 1/350 HMS Warspite

"In August 1942 6.III./KG 26 moved to Grosseto, Sicily. On 10 August 1942 it sank two freighters from the convoy Pedestal." [Wikipedia]

Sounds eligible to me, Cliff

Don, the number "2." is the staffel number, and it belongs to I./KG26, not III./KG26

1, 2, 3 => I. gruppe

4, 5, 6 => II. gruppe

etc....

Four staffel per gruppe could happen sometime.

And a gruppe can be a very independant units, having III. gruppe somewhere near Malta doesn't mean that I. was along for the ride.

;)

Edited by Antoine

Don, the number "2." is the staffel number, and it belongs to I./KG26, not III./KG26

1, 2, 3 => I. gruppe

4, 5, 6 => II. gruppe

etc....

Four staffel per gruppe could happen sometime.

And a gruppe can be a very independant units, having III. gruppe somewhere near Malta doesn't mean that I. was along for the ride.

;)

Good point.

• 4 weeks later...
This picture of Park is reportedly standing in front of his Malta Hurricane - which, if you want to make a Park model for the GB, is the one to go for.

Sir_Keith_Park.jpg

er, except this is a Spitfire with a tropical filter....note panel fasteners, little bulge to right of head and curve behind left shoulder. A quick google reveals this pic is mislabelled at wiki....

I have seen a pic of Park's Malta Hurricane online somewhere. ....quick google...

here.http://rnzaf.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=Modelling&thread=6667&page=2#52470

OK2NormanFranks0001.jpg

This is an IWM photograph copied from Norman Franks excellent book 'Hurricane at War:2'

note different 2nd engine panel, presumably a replacement, and a dulled down roundel, or just the entire centre as red? No white visible.

Also some kind of rack underwing.

You can just his white flight helmet too.

interestingly it seems Corgi think this is a IIC, which I doubt as there are no cannon bulges and you can just see the shape of the gun bay panel, what vaguley look like an arrow on the wing where the gun bay is... as the two following have non of the features visible on in the actual photo I'd say they were unreliable... I'd suggest he had a IIA, as this was an 8 gun plane, they were supplied to Malta and the cannons made the IIC sluggish, the IIA having the same armament as the MkI but with the more powerful Merlin XX.

aa35502hurricane.jpg

as does this profile [the others by this guy all have errors too]

hurricane-4.jpg

HTH

T

Well I'd like to join in this project, I've never been part of a group-build before and I've got a fondness for all things Malta-related.

Thing is I'd like to do this kit:

italeri5610chmq.jpg

MTB flotillas operated from Malta and as the model depicts a 1940 built boat I think it'll fit the theme, unless anyone knows otherwise?

But it was a Christmas present and I couldn't resist tearing the box open and making a start! Nothings glued together or painted yet, just my usual overly-anal trimming and fettling and taping things together with masking tape.

Is that acceptable? I won't do anymore to the kit until the start of the group build but I wanted to make it as a Med based MTB anyway and this seems like an ideal opportunity to do both at the same time!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm considering entering with Supermodel's SM81. There are two sets of markings provided, one from the Abysinian campaign in a rather attractive cream and red "sunray" scheme, the other appears to be a torpedo bomber in a more usual Italian camo, showing the markings of Squadriglia 218. Does anyone have any idea whether this was used in the Malta region during the relevant period?

I could get aftermarket decals - Skymodels do a set (72-019) which apparently has three decals sets for an SM81, but I cannot tell what aircraft these are for? Any help out there?

• 3 weeks later...
What a great way to celebrate my favourite holiday destination. I'll enter the Late 298 if I may or a Matilda if I mayn't

Of course you may! The more Matildas the better as far as I'm concerned. Might even have a pop m'self - or maybe a Mk.IV Light jobbie.

Some photos of Park - including Malta shots - here: https://picasaweb.google.com/11683914147129...ViceMarshalPark

Do I dare? Three months to scratch build a bust will be pushing it

Lovely stuff, thank you! Three months can be a challenge for me to get a 1/48 box build done - but surely it must be a little tempting!!??

Thanks to all for keeping the home fires burning in my absence, I know we're getting ever closer to 'go' and that I haven't been around too much but I'm back now and glad to see that Robw has been keeping a steady hand on the tiller - thank you for that, co-host.

Looking at the variety and enthusiasm on this thread is inspiring. I think we can look forward to a mega GB. Now come on, countdown clock!! :bounce:

Is that acceptable? I won't do anymore to the kit until the start of the group build but I wanted to make it as a Med based MTB anyway and this seems like an ideal opportunity to do both at the same time!

Of course! I think maximum. Welcome aboard!

Thanks Don and Philp

That all sounds very encouraging, so I'll assume the best unless anyone else chips in with a 'well, yes, but'!

Cheers

Cliff

You'll find no 'but ifs' here, Cliff!

Assuming i clear a few of the ships off the slipway before March (which i should) I think I might jump in with a 1/350 HMS Warspite

I'm glad someone is! Thanks Andy.

er, except this is a Spitfire with a tropical filter....note panel fasteners, little bulge to right of head and curve behind left shoulder. A quick google reveals this pic is mislabelled at wiki....

Now I feel like a heel for not stopping to think for a minute! Thanks for setting me straight, T.

I have found my inspiration.

Beaufighter T4705 as flown by Adrian Warburton. It was a PR version, 'locally' modified by No2 PRU in Egypt and acquired by Hugh Pughe Lloyd for Maltese operations. It was painted in 'dark blue', presumably on top of a 'browns/blue', North Africa scheme, had all armament and most of the armour removed and being a ton and a half lighter than standard, went like stink. 'Warby' said it was the fastest thing in the Med in January 1942. He was chased home to Malta by Italian fighters no less than 12 times in the Beau, and was once attacked by our own Hurricanes as well. He escaped them all.

I have very little reference material on this aircraft apart from a page or two in Faith, Hope and Malta GC by Tony Spooner. p.127-8. If anyone has more info and especially photos, I would be very grateful indeed.

I'll be using a Tamiya 1/48 kit BTW.

Edit: I just found this thread which is very helpful and has a picture too.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...;hl=beaufighter

I think I might have something - can't wait to see it done properly!