Malta 1940-42 GB

Perhaps it's the amount of dark earth/dark green I've been chugging through on the BoB build, but I was inspired to look at what nautical things are available for this GB as a bit of a change.

So far I've found:

HMS Ark Royal Airfix

HMS Illustrious Heller

HMS Warspite Airfix

HMS Rodney Tamiya

HMS Nelson Airfix

HMS Manxman Airfix

RAF Rescue Launch Airfix

Edited by maltadefender

Thank you Mark for reminding me - Barney Barnfather: Life on a Spitfire Squadron. Among the many recollections of his tour in Malta are surviving an air-air collision with another Spit... result being he didn't have to bail out, as he was already left without a plane!

I have the Aces of The Empire decal sheet fromVictory Productions. I am slowly making my way through the options, so there are a few Malta Spits I could build. whatever I build I am sure someone else will build a model of the same aircraft with a different colour scheme!

• 2 weeks later...

OK I'll say it now - anyone producing work in Temperate Land Scheme gets an A+... no matter how much I prefer Tropical Land Scheme!

Don't worry, I've got 18 months to get over my Middle Stone fixation!!

I have seen it suggested that some aircraft may have been in Temperate Sea Scheme. What sort of mark for that one?

All and any Spitfire schemes will be welcomed... just as they would have been in period.

Only two rules will govern the colours used: you've got to be happy with them and you can't get grumpy about other people's interpretations! :thumbsup:

still don't know what to do. tempted by bomb-loaded hurricane. for 185 squadron. or something from MNfs (night fighter). Do they have different schemes? or maybe a Beau-fighter. All in my mind but time to work out my entry.

I'm looking forward to getting some Malta subjects done after the current bout of Group Builds is over. 1/48 'blue' Spit, 1/48 Hurricane IIc, the last 1/72 Hurricane for my '5-Up' display and RAF High Speed Rescue Launch coming soon.

So many subjects to choose from, and a 1/32 Gladiator on the way I hear!

Following up on the Malta submarines idea. HMS Upholder has to be a candidate, google it....phenomominal bravery.

I keep coming up to this picture, and various like it and think that a diorama based on it would be rather nice.

1002010201px.jpg

It would give the opportunity to model HMS Upholder, a 2nd variant U class and HMS Urge, the next variant on the type. They would be made from the HMS Undine in the stash and the ORP Sokol by mirage at 1/400 which was an ex U-class.

Also it would be my first attempt at water so any pointers appreciated and if anyone comes across other sub images in marsascala please let me know

Cheers

Adam

Edited by Madam I'm Adam

Have ordered Fortress Malta – James Holland (Good starter book on the subject, largely drawn from previously-published memoirs. Covers RAF and U-class submarines in great detail).

and

Siege: Malta 1940-1943 – Ernle Bradford (Very readable book, extremely good on the naval war and conditions in which it was fought).

total £9.17 and in both cases the P&P was more than the books :shithappens:

I found an image of the previous image from the left of shot...err buildings. I will have to think about this diorama idea...

Adam

I managed to make a deal on this site to get this one... :yahoo:

202.jpg

Great stuff, Erwin! They're as rare as can be, aren't they??

Following up on the Malta submarines idea. HMS Upholder has to be a candidate, google it....phenomominal bravery.

Also it would be my first attempt at water so any pointers appreciated and if anyone comes across other sub images in marsascala please let me know

Cheers

Adam

I'd love to have a go at Upholder myself - what are those kits you mention as starting points? Are they readily available?

The subs were based on Manoel Island, which is just offshore in Sliema Creek. In the days of the Knights it was the quarantine island, today it's the Yacht Club. Here are some pics which - when you get your copy of Fortress Malta - will look familiar! The U-class subs would moor up alongside the arches there.

3e2f36b4.jpg

268e07db.jpg

29e82c22.jpg

WHHOOOAAAAAAAAA :partytime:

MD, they are brilliant pics, I have been looking at black & white images of submarines tied up where that big yacht thingy is.

BIG THANKS, those pictures will be useful.

But that is what has put the fear into me...using those buildings as one side of a diorama....hmmmm. in 1/400...still, time to plan.

As for the U class subs. They are made by Mirage Hobby, Machplast and AGA (older? poorer molding) and titled HMS Undine and ORP Sokol. Undine gives the early bulbous bow but (using Osprey's British subs 1939-1945) seems undecided between the earliest bulbous bow and the Upholder next variant of the bulbous bow. The Sokol is the later pointy bow. Sokol being ex HMS Urchin.

The kits with resin & photoetch are a bit better and they are available, hannants, creative models etc for around £7 or £8. They turn up on a certain well known internet auction site as well.

Also I have seen pictures with at least 6 subs tied up and other classes in the back ground. I think for my diorama 2 or 3 subs will be enough. I could be over stretching my limited abilities.............................................

Cheers

MiA

WHHOOOAAAAAAAAA :partytime:

MD, they are brilliant pics, I have been looking at black & white images of submarines tied up where that big yacht thingy is.

BIG THANKS, those pictures will be useful.

But that is what has put the fear into me...using those buildings as one side of a diorama....hmmmm. in 1/400...still, time to plan.

As for the U class subs. They are made by Mirage Hobby, Machplast and AGA (older? poorer molding) and titled HMS Undine and ORP Sokol. Undine gives the early bulbous bow but (using Osprey's British subs 1939-1945) seems undecided between the earliest bulbous bow and the Upholder next variant of the bulbous bow. The Sokol is the later pointy bow. Sokol being ex HMS Urchin.

The kits with resin & photoetch are a bit better and they are available, hannants, creative models etc for around £7 or £8. They turn up on a certain well known internet auction site as well.

Also I have seen pictures with at least 6 subs tied up and other classes in the back ground. I think for my diorama 2 or 3 subs will be enough. I could be over stretching my limited abilities.............................................

Cheers

MiA

Glad you like them - I got a bit of a chill when we were there, it's far and away the most humbling place on the island. Everything's exactly as though it was bricked up and forgotten when 'Shrimp' Simpson was bombed out. There are plans to redevelop the island, but Malta being Malta I think it's safe for the time being at least. I surreptitiously went around the back - there aren't many places you can get to and it's mostly 'off-limits' as storage for the yacht-owners but you can imagine being there as the Stukas were rolling and diving in after they FINALLY found out where the subs were coming from...

Hopefully I can join you in a miniature tribute. I found an 'Undine' so I am praying not to be outbid.

Have you got your copy of 'Fortress Malta' yet? There's a pic of three or four subs moored up just off the island there... it's a view you can only get if you walk back past 'The Gut' from the National War Museum.

The good thing about this GB is that there's plenty of time to prepare. I can send you the original pics if you want high-res for your diorama... with a touch of photoshop you could have a ready-made background, but there are plenty of diorama builders to compare notes with on this site and elsewhere. The more sea craft and land vehicles the better as far as I'm concerned... I think we're safe as far as the number of aircraft are concerned. Heck, I've done four for the BoB GB!

Glad you like them - I got a bit of a chill when we were there, it's far and away the most humbling place on the island. Everything's exactly as though it was bricked up and forgotten when 'Shrimp' Simpson was bombed out. There are plans to redevelop the island, but Malta being Malta I think it's safe for the time being at least. I surreptitiously went around the back - there aren't many places you can get to and it's mostly 'off-limits' as storage for the yacht-owners but you can imagine being there as the Stukas were rolling and diving in after they FINALLY found out where the subs were coming from...

Hopefully I can join you in a miniature tribute. I found an 'Undine' so I am praying not to be outbid.

Have you got your copy of 'Fortress Malta' yet? There's a pic of three or four subs moored up just off the island there... it's a view you can only get if you walk back past 'The Gut' from the National War Museum.

The good thing about this GB is that there's plenty of time to prepare. I can send you the original pics if you want high-res for your diorama... with a touch of photoshop you could have a ready-made background, but there are plenty of diorama builders to compare notes with on this site and elsewhere. The more sea craft and land vehicles the better as far as I'm concerned... I think we're safe as far as the number of aircraft are concerned. Heck, I've done four for the BoB GB!

I wasn't outbid! :partytime:

Hi MD

If you could email the pics at reasonable res that would be helpful at this stage as I wil have to try to scale them and figure out what the place looked like 70 years ago. One thing I have already thought is that the sea must be quite deep there, I thought it would be a much lighter blue with the pale sandstone (? or limestone) bedrock from which the sand on the seabottom will derived from. I suppose it also depends on the sky but hey, I'm thinking Med, sunny etc...

Not quite sure how to get my email adress to you without sharing it with the world, Should I send it in a private message?

Cheers

Adam

Hi MD

If you could email the pics at reasonable res that would be helpful at this stage as I wil have to try to scale them and figure out what the place looked like 70 years ago. One thing I have already thought is that the sea must be quite deep there, I thought it would be a much lighter blue with the pale sandstone (? or limestone) bedrock from which the sand on the seabottom will derived from. I suppose it also depends on the sky but hey, I'm thinking Med, sunny etc...

Not quite sure how to get my email adress to you without sharing it with the world, Should I send it in a private message?

Cheers

Adam

Hi Adam,

I'll PM you!

• 2 weeks later...

ORP SOKOL arrived today so a trip up into the attic is required to gather up the fleet in preparation. I'll stare at them a lot and create senarios in my imagination that I'll never be able to fulfil!

Also four books on the Malta campaign, the U class sumbarines and the Upholder story, and the photos of malta, I guess I'm getting prepared!

:D

cheers

Adam

Since I managed to nab HMS Undine recently I might add this to my build list for the GB.

Where did yours come from? Bought mine from a Polish seller on Fleabay, 100% feedback but nothing here yet after 2 weeks.

Where did yours come from? Bought mine from a Polish seller on Fleabay, 100% feedback but nothing here yet after 2 weeks.

Yeah mine was from a Polish seller on Fleabay, Trinitymews2, took about a week to arrive. :thumbsup: