sWS 60cm Infrared Searchlight Carrier "UHU" (1:35 GWH)

Mike

After much fettling and tidying... most of which was down to my inability to leave anything ragged even if it won't be seen :blush: I now have one track glued and shaped on the starboard roadwheels, which are still loose.

I assembled one sprue of parts (each link comprises 2 parts) into a length in one session, keeping it straight by aligning them against a metal straight-edge, then after a little delay to allow the liquid glue to cure a bit, I began wrapping the links round the sprockets, being careful to keep the open end in the middle of the roadwheel contact point to hide the joint. The tracks on the sWS were "slack", so rested on the tops of the roadwheels, so I allowed sufficient slack to permit me to use my Berna-clamps to hold the track in place while it sets.

I removed the spare links, 6 of each part, and re-glued the two ends together, being careful to get the teeth on the right side of the roadwheels (inside on the wide ones, outside on the narrow sets, and outside on the idler wheel).

tracks1.jpg

tracks2.jpg

I'll let this one dry out and then duplicate the work on the port track :)

Looking good there Miguel. I am interested in those clamps...whered ya get em?? Huh? Well? Spill it!! :0

Gorrem at Telford 3 years ago. Berna-clamps are readily available over here though, although I can't remember where stocks them. I'm pretty sure I saw them in some of your local hobby stores Mike, and over here, I think Hobbycraft might sell them. Shesto sell them over here too.

Paul at Little Cars stocks them

There you go... another stockist. I don't get on that well with them, but when they do come in handy, you're glad you have them :)

In between fixing someone's computer (burned out HD) I managed to get a little work done on this, and got it prepped for priming, which I did once the extra PC (now fixed & reinstalled) was out of the way. Again, it's a propped up amalgamation of all the sub-assemblies, plus you'll notice the tracks don't have any roadwheels and aren't in the right place... You get the jist though ;)

chassis8.jpg

All that's left now are a few delicate parts (width indicators, that sort of thing) and the Pioneer Tools, which I'm in the process of cleaning up to paint separately :)

• 2 weeks later...

This one's been stalled for a week or so while I looked for info on the wiring of the searchlight into the vehicle. In the meantime, I painted the interior with Lifecolor Gelbbraun (interior cream to you & I ;) ). I didn't want to go too far with weathering until the wire work was done, so today has been the first forward move since then.

Using the articles in AFV Modeller for the Sd Kfz 251 UHU, which uses the same basic searchlight installation (without any armouring), I've begun the wiring using some .5mm lead fly-tying wire. I drilled out the three output sockets and glued in lengths of wire, which I then laced through the framework, as per the pictures I've now got. The wire is held in place by small flat brackets that I simulated with cut pewter sheet, and detailed with some of those lovely Lion Roar rivets.

light2.jpg

More later once I've finished the rest of the wiring. I suspect there will be quite a bit of additional needed around the night sights, which seem to have 2 large inputs with corresponding wires. These seem absent on the kit, but I guess asking the modeller to wire up the searchlight would increase the difficulty level out of the box somewhat. :shrug:

Hey Mikey - that's looks rather tasty! She's quite a brute eh - especially with that big ole searchlight in top. Madder than a box of frogs...

Now stop reading this and get on with some painting. What's the matter with you man..?

Spence the exhausted and thus slighty frayed around the ole gills... eww.gif

A minor, but time consuming update. I've sprayed the small glass elements with the same custom smoke/violet mix, attached them with GS-Hypo cement, and attached some of them to the chassis. I've also done some wiring of the driver's night sight and directional light, which is very prominent on the 251, plus a couple of bits and pieces around the other lights.

chassis9.jpg

A few more wires in the lighting compartment, and then I'll be off on the weathering of the interior :frantic:

I'll always be an aircraft modeller Den... I just appreciate targets more than I used to. ;) Hell, I've even got 3 civvie aircraft in my stash now! :shocked:

I'll always be an aircraft modeller Den... I just appreciate targets more than I used to. ;) Hell, I've even got 3 civvie aircraft in my stash now! :shocked:

THREE!!!!!!!!!!

You only had two yesterday. What you got now then?

Soon have you totally converted Mike.

Chris.

THREE!!!!!!!!!!

You only had two yesterday. What you got now then?

Soon have you totally converted Mike.

Chris.

Nah... Connie (L1049 - long term ownership), the 737 you kindly gave me, and an A380. In fact, I have another Connie (L749) up in the loft that I've been offering for raffle prizes to no avail! :lol: May build it myself one day :o

Nah... Connie (L1049 - long term ownership), the 737 you kindly gave me, and an A380. In fact, I have another Connie (L749) up in the loft that I've been offering for raffle prizes to no avail! :lol: May build it myself one day :o

Silly me!!

I forgot about that one.

Senior moment me thinks.