sWS 60cm Infrared Searchlight Carrier "UHU" (1:35 GWH)

Mike

Cheers guys :) The weathering's gonna start tomorrow with some filters, coat of Klear and then a pin wash... and then some chipping, pigments & anything else I can think of :hmmm:

Very nice Mike the camo looks amazing.

Just one thing not wanting to sound stupid but Whats a pin wash?

Thanks chap :)

It's a funny term isn't it? I'm not sure where it comes from, but basically it's the armour equivalent of a panel line wash, only with armour you tend to use either diluted oil paint, or Mig washes, and only "dot" it on around bolt heads, recesses, weld seams etc. You leave it for 15 minutes or so, then attack it with a brush dampened with thinners to remove any excess. Hope that explains it.

Got back from hozzy this avo and added a coat of Mig filter for Tri-tonal camo, which has just pulled together the colors, and added a slightly more yellow cast to the dunkelgelb base coat. It seems that the thinners in the filter soften the paint though, so if you're using Lifecolor as a base paint, make sure you don't handle the model while it's drying. I'll have to touch up a little of the brown on the top deck later, as I touched it when I was removing a hair. C'est la vie! :)

filter1.jpg

filter2.jpg

I gave the paint a good coat of Klear, left it overnight and this morning started the mammoth task of decaling. 6 decals later I was finished, and completely exhausted. :blink:

I'll leave them to set up, then start with the weathering - beginning with a pin/panel wash :)

painting5.jpg

painting6.jpg

I finished off the pin-wash yesterday, and I decided to do a quick test-fit of all the major parts before flat-coating it, which revealed a bit of tricky fitting of the underside of the searchlight, so small adjustments were made to the ring to allow me to drop it in neatly.

The decals will be toned down during the weathering process, and all of the running gear needs individually weathering, along with the tracks. I've also sourced a brass aerial and width-indicators from my AFV spares, which are being painted up for later adding to the build, along with the doors & hatches that would inevitably get knocked off.

chassis12.jpg

chassis13.jpg

Cheers fellas,

Weathering was always going to be quite subdued, as this was new kit that would have been in the field a relatively short time. After a matt coat, I gave the chassis a chipping session using Vallejo Black Grey, trying to place the scuffs & chips where the crew would be likely to damage the paintwork. After that I set to work dirtying up the undersides with Mig Pigments. I coated the tracks with pigments of various brown shades too, then topped the track treatment off with shiny wear marks added to the ridges of each link with an artist's pencil (must give it back before he notices). I gave the roadwheels a thin wash of pigment and applied the artist's pencil to the rims where the paint would wear off quickest. The whole lot has now been installed for the (hopefully) last time, although I've not glued it at this stage, so the tracks aren't hard down on the tops of the roadwheels yet.

I still have the pioneer tools and some minor construction items to finish off, then I can matt coat it to seal in the pigments and finally unveil the searchlight lens again :)

chassis14.jpg

chassis15.jpg