DH.88 Comet Racer

I've just picked up an old/early example of this kit (G-ACSS) molded in red plastic and wondered if anyone can comment on its overall accuracy please?

I know that KP did two boxings of this aircraft so presumably they are a little better/more refined but looking at the Airfix kit it still seems to be quite well molded and was considerably cheaper!

Also, any tips on how to use the rather aged decals that came with the kit as there are no after market replacements, unless I go for the all black G-ACSP 'Black Magic' alternative but I'd prefer to stick to G-ACSS if I can.

Pat.

• Like 1

The Airfix kit fits where it touches. It's really showing its age and needs a ton of work to bring it up to current standards. The canopy might as well have been for a Spitfire going by the fit of the thing. It was a 1958 release though and scale accuracy wasn't the fashion at the time.

The more recent red box issues have first class decals, in all three Mildenhall race versions. They are issued as separate kits though, three kits, one version for each.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, PatG said:

Never knew this existed so stand corrected.

In the meantime any clues on how to reinvigorate old decals?

Pat.

Old decals, or transfers if you are a duffer, can have the yellowing dealt with by putting the sheet in sunlight for a few days. Old sheets can also benefit from a couple of clear coats to keep them in one bit. Use the sheets a day or so after coating as I've had coated sheets get a bit brittle once the clear had really dried off.

I also thought that it was the age that had made the moulds worn out but I got a very early issue and it is just as bad. To be honest the Airfix kit is horrible. That is why I have at least five of them.  It was the only alternative back then,

• Like 1

Here's my attempt as smashing one into shape during the Classic Airfix GB way back in time. It fought every inch of the way but it turned out just about OK in the end....

Funny as the one in the Airfix catalogue 7th edition from the 60's looks just fine!

There again they were built by expert modelers for us duffers to aspire to!

Pat.

For me, the old FROG / NOVO was better than the Airfix.

Here is the FROG / NOVI kit with Airfix markings:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21603181@N08/16244193181/in/dateposted/

Here is the Airfix kit, with different markings:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21603181@N08/15595849010/in/dateposted/

modelldc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

hi All,

does anyone have /seen the " KELLOGGS "   Comet Racer 1/72 Plastic Model Kit  ?

Apparently it was was a Special Premium release by KELLOGGS CEREALS  that a Customer wrote in for .

I have (2) of them, don't know if they came packaged with Instructions , mine are only in a taped plastic bag.

The kit is not a knock orff of a FROG/Novo or AIRFIX Kit  and appear to be a SNAP KIT . ( will havta search my Stash for them now )

cheery " Modellin' " mumbas !

Geoff

🤗🐈‍⬛

I'm buying the kit for a dear friend who is blind so the kit needs to be quite simple in terms of parts and build for him and his wife to complete by feel.

As such either the Airfix or Novo/FROG kits fit the bill in this regard.

Pat.

So would the FROG or Novo incarnation be a good basis for a decent kit with a reasonably well fitting canopy and without requiring mountains of filler?

I'm not into doing major surgery on models so it would need to fit reasonably well from the get go.

There are a few examples currently on E-Bay between £13-£24, the latter a mint FROG with a new/replacement decal sheet from SBS Models (looks good).

Pat.

The Airfix can be built up nicely but it takes a lot of work. The engine nacelles were the worst part on mine, but the decals (recent boxing) were excellent). I got the canopy to work and scratch built the cockpit.

But sounds like that e-bay FROG would be ideal for you.

• Like 1

I have a soft spot for this plane now because back in December 2022 I picked up the Airfix kit for the sole purpose of building it for practice. It ended up being the first plane I built reentering the hobby. It's an absolute pig but was definitely great to learn on. Also have to agree with TallBlondJohn on the awful engine nacelles, and the decals were great and made for a nice first experience.

The Airfix Comet went together without any problems when it was new.  This one has survived the years and several changes of address.

20240324120252-d1c9d760.jpg

I must have built this well over 65 years ago.  The idea of creating a stash did not yet exist and models were usually built within a very short time after their appearance on the shelves at Woolworths.

Mike

• Like 9

The funny thing is when I was a kid everything went together without problems. I have later built the same kit again (not reruns) and part doesn't fit. Either I was a better builder as a kid or one didn't care back then. The overuse of tube glue fixed most problems. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just building the KP kit now (2 of them) …not a perfect kit as the fit of the engines is cumbersome but it will look fine in the end.

In my case it was a choice €17,95 against €39,95 still had to ad decals as the KP ones weren’t the ones I needed

I think the SBS resin kit is the best available DH88 now….

cheers, Jan

It's so true about the fit of parts in the old days.

Back in the 60's when I bought a kit it seemed to go together without any major issues as I had no modelling tools what so ever apart from my front teeth to bite bits off and perhaps the sand paper on a box of my Dad's Swan Vesta matches but still created kits that seemed to go together OK.

I've since bought examples of some early 60's Airfix kits and the moldings are indeed far better than those they continually re-issued for decades afterwards, but then again I'm sure Wagon Wheels were twice the size back in the day!

Pat.

• Haha 1

Björn wrote (jokingly) that he might have been a better builder as a kid.  I was not a better builder but there is one skill which I no longer have - I painted the cockpit frames of that Comet freehand.  Today, I would struggle to position masks in the right place!  I don't understand those ageing modellers who say that are moving to a larger scale because of their failing eyesight.  Large scale models also have small pieces, and certainly more than a 1:72 scale kit.  I just hang a magnifier on my head but I have not found a mechanical aid for an unsteady hand.

Mike