Lysander Target tug project

I'm starting a new project, a 1/48 Lysander Mk III target tug, in the 'Oxydol' scheme.

I'm using the Gavia kit, and have started on the big differences with the RCAF Lysanders ...

the tubular seat bottom from stretched sprue

Image3

replaced the aft floor with one with the hatch 

Image2

the electric winch ...

24 Image4 Image5

and the extended exhaust pipe with the cabin heater muff (made from heated and bent sprue)

Image6

Image7

when I get to the exterior, I'll be adding the tail guard cables, the wooden belly doors etc.

I still cannot find any info on the winch operators seat, or the rear shelf behind the observer (size, what was on it, etc.)

Any help would be appreciated!

Colin

• Like 18

That's coming along rather nicely. 

Some years ago @hendie built a highly detailed 1/48th 'Lizzie' by replacing just about everything! 

I know he carried out a lot of research, so it could be worth tracking down his build. There could be something you can use.

I think there was a detailed 1/32nd 'Lizzie' too but can't remember when and who.

Fantastic! I want to do one of these at some point. Really thrilled to see this happening!

EDIT: I didn't realize that was scratch-building. Amazing work on the seat and that winch.

Edited by marvinneko

Pete, my Lysander was a MkII

Regarding the shelf. The top shelf was just a resting place for the bang bang stick. There was a lower shelf which slid in and out and contained radio gear as far as I can remember.

I think there's a couple of photos of the rear seat somewhere in my post

Really neat scratching btw. This is looking to be a great build.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Tail-Dragon said:

the tubular seat bottom from stretched sprue

Image3

Is this a specific mod of tha Canadian built lysanders?

Just interested since I have one to build and found contrasting informations on the pilot seat....

Very nice start, by the way, I will follow your progress.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Whirly said:

Is this a specific mod of tha Canadian built lysanders?

Just interested since I have one to build and found contrasting informations on the pilot seat....

Very nice start, by the way, I will follow your progress.

It's not specific to the Canadian Lysanders, it seems to be the standard construction, a framework, with a padded backrest, the pilot sitting on his parachute ...

see ...

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/walkaround/wk.php?wid=45

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm continuing the Lysander cockpit work (adding cockpit details, RCAF style radios, winch details), but have finished the work on the engine, prop, and landing gear. 

The big challenge will be the dropped slats and flaps, I'm still experimenting with different ideas.

Painting is next, so I can bring the fuselage, gear, and engine together, and the look at the wings.

Image12

Image10

Image11

Image8

Image9

• Like 16

Superb work!  I've just finished the Gavia kit as CF-GFJ Westland Spraying Services.  Luckily I had the Squadron Vacform canopy (intended for the Hawk kit but fits well) - the kit supplied items are tricky. 

If you're on FB - the British Columbia Aviation Museum page has recently posted a nice photo of 4 x TT Lysanders on the tarmac at Patricia Bay.  You may well have seen.  Link probably won't work but is https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=742553784521465&set=a.390477969729050 

• Like 1

I've got some color on the interior now, and am ready to close the fuselage, after all the work on the winch assembly, very little can be seen!

Image15

The gunsight mount above the panel is made from various diameters of stretched sprue ...

Image13

Image14

... the exhaust collector will start out a bright metalic, and will be darkened and discolored later ...

Image17

• Like 12

4 hours ago, shortCummins said:

Montex have a mask set, MXK48112, for a Lysander target tug...

53607977481_6d824ebbf3.jpg

might be useful if you plan to paint the markings

rgds

John(shortCummins)

Thanks, I already have that masking set, it will make the markings a lot easier.

• Like 1

Small update today, added the Canadian specific right side step found on the target tugs (brass wire and sprue ...

Image19

... and decided to use the leading edges from a junked Testors Lysander as the basis for the slats - reqiures thinning and a bit of reshaping, but the tapered airfoil shape is bang on. Much easier than trying to form them myself. The Gavia wing plastic should be thick enough to scrape down to form the slat well.

Image18

• Like 8

The slat/flap work is progressing, flaps were separated and fronts built up and profiled with plasticard. Slat wells were scraped down (wing thickness was enough to allow this) and slats thinned and shaped to fit. Wings can now be assembled and slat tracks made.

Image22

Image21

Image20
  • Like 9

Good progress on the slats/flaps. Nice to see a Testors Lysander being recycled - it'll make life much easier.