Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


ianwau last won the day on October 5 2019

ianwau had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

356 Excellent

About ianwau

  • Rank
    New Member

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Progress has been slow - but a bit of a milestone today - finally masked the cockpit and proceeded to undercoat. Step one, given the absence of any canopy framing lines - was to create a 'positive' mask (vs negative?). ie apply masking lines where you KNOW you want canopy framing to go. the advantage of this is that you can quickly check the symmetry of what you're doing and make minor adjustments without actually having to commit the mask. I am using Tamiya tape - cut to the required dimensions of the canopy frame.. Then (obviously) fill in the gaps with the ACTUAL mas
  2. Hi Colin, thanks for the compliments - and good luck with your own build. I see Zac has supplied you with some great reference pix. Which I'd vouch for - they're very much the design (and I think the exact photos!) I used for mine. Cheers, Ian
  3. It sits on the nose wheel - by the skin of its teeth. A little trick required - the (superglued) wheel chocks have effectively moved the pivot point back about 3mm which is sufficient to bring the nose back to earth. PLENTY of lead in the nose, fuse thinned - but so much weight in the solid resin tail surfaces...
  4. Progress continues - blending in the wing/fuse join. Adding lumps and bumps. The latest milestone has been fitting the main undercarriage - heavily spatted, heavily engineered in 1:1 . And then the big test - will it be a tailsitter?? There's a LOT of plastic behind the pivot point..... Ha! Yes! There's no shortage of space to put lead in the nose - so have not skimped. The flaps/Ailerons have been scratched - but are not shown here. Next step - getting to the point where I'm going to mask off the canopy - that'll be a significant step in making it look li
  5. Excellent reference photos thank you! The under side shots in particular. Cheers.
  6. Some more progress - engraving of panel lines, cleaning up of front end, fitting/blending fillets for the tail. And sorting out a robust tab system to join the front fuse section to the rear fuse section - which you can see in the pic below.. And then back to the lego jig yard for aligning and gluing the fore/aft sections. With some assist again from the Lego LAME's Have also scratchbuilt the flaps and ailerons which will be a late fitment after paint. Next steps are blending this new join, then onto undercarriage, vents, intakes etc. This photo below of G-NRDC is
  7. A bit more progress on the Fieldmaster. 'Canopy' has been fixed to the bottom half of the fuse and first coat of Milliput to blend. The tail assembly was fixed beforehand as I wanted to ensure the cockpit interior was fully sealed before wet sanding etc. Have then moved onto wings. Have 'tabbed' each wing root to assist with fixing - and also manufactured a styrene spar with the correct dihedral. Then a bit of a dry fit to make sure it goes together as the manufacturer intended. Happy with that. The wings look like they have a really narrow chord - but the flaps
  8. The skeleton frame is sheet styrene and the filler is standard 2-pack panel repair 'bog' from the auto spares shops (ie a golf ball of filler with a pea of hardener). This filler is 25% styrene and when hard is easily carved/sanded etc. Usually takes about 4 putty runs to get it to mouldable state - but it goes off in <30 mins so pretty quick...
  9. Enjoying the build story. Have one of these in early days of construction (without the mods) and lots of great pointers on the build. I am considering gold for the nose weight as its denser than lead - and main u/c needs a similar solution to yours. Thanks!
  10. Starting to make some headway on a scratchbuild of the Norman Fieldmaster in 1/48 scale. Started off with the framing for the fuselage buck... Then the buck almost ready for vacforming. Shown alongside the Valom 1/48 Britten Norman Island for a size comparison... Then after vacforming. Split into front and rear sections for size practicalities. Front fuse moulded left/right halves per convention. Rear fuse moulded top/bottom - which is going to assist with building the interior as we see later... Then here' s the tail in a jig - with
  11. Gaz - are you on the "Fletcher FU24 & PAC Cresco Fans" Facebook group? Lot's of Kiwis there and you'll get a bit more of an idea of the kit K5054NZ up above has a production line going of the 1:72 version. Below is what comes in the 1:48 kit and this is after I have cleaned it up a bit (click on the photo and you'll go to a Flickr album of the build)
  12. Yes - stern words were required from time to time. I sort of knew what I was in for upon box opening - I took out at least a third of the fuselage resin (I weighed it before/after) from the inside with an angle grinder - ie a full on tradies power tool. Needed to make room for cockpit interior, lead in the nose and to get rid of excess weight behind CofG.
  13. Shhhhh. Artistic license - forgot to cut the hole and didn't relish dust all through the cockpit.
  14. Finally managed to get this one done (or my version of done). It's a resin kit from Unicraft where 'some modelling skills are an advantage'. Decals are from Oldmodeldecals.com in NZ (who have plenty of other schemes for this A/C).
  15. And being cooped up for some reason - has allowed me to get this one progressed through to completion Will post more to RFI...
  • Create New...