HMS Sheffield late 1941

Gidday All, Here is my model of the large Town (Southampton) class cruiser HMS Sheffield, the 'Shiny Sheff'. This ship had quite a career, being one of the first to be equipped with radar, one of the first RN ships to fire her guns in anger in WW2, saw action off Norway, in the Mediterranean and in the Arctic, fought the Bismarck in the Atlantic, the Hipper, Lutzow and Eckolt (sinking her) in the Barents Sea, and the Scharnhorst off North Cape. She was finally decommissioned and scrapped in 1967.

To build her I heavily modified an Airfix 1/600 scale Belfast kit, doing extensive modifications to the hull, superstructures and ship's fittings. I've tried to get the ship depicted in late 1941/1942 but I think the camo scheme I've done her in is of dubious accuracy. I don't think this is the best model I've done but definitely not the worst, either. And it has a significant milestone - counting two in 1/570 scale which to me is compatible with 1/600, this is the 50th model I've done in this scale since taking up the hobby on a continual basis about 25 years ago. Anyway, here she is, HMS Sheffield.

HMS Sheffield late 1941 jm2

HMS Sheffield late 1941 jm1

HMS Sheffield late 1941 jm6

HMS Sheffield late 1941 jm5

HMS Sheffield late 1941 jm9

The first stage of the build thread can be found here:-

The second stage of the build here:-

Thank you for your interest. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Great job taking matters into your own hands when kit manufacturers ignore important subjects. You have a fine kitbash there and a very unique model of an important and good looking ship.

• Thanks 1

Lovely Jeff, glad to see this one finished. At times it looked like a packet of evergreen would be more correct description of the base kit than the Airfix Belfast! Accurate or no, it's a lovely looking model just as you've painted her. What's coming up next and why isn't it the Ledbury 😄?

Andy

Thank you very much guys. And @Vlad, come to think of it, the only Sheffield models I can recall of late are Airfix Belfast conversions. Not saying there aren't some out there  .   .   .

6 minutes ago, Ngantek said:

What's coming up next and why isn't it the Ledbury?

I thought I'd have a go at another total scratch build of a ship I've not seen a kit of, particularly in 1/600. The German K class light cruiser DKM Karlsruhe. With scratch builds I'm working my way up in size and want to alternate between scratch builds and kits from the stash. I hope to start soon but I think the bench needs a bit of a clean up first. And don't worry, HMS Ledbury is not forgotten. Just the other day while rummaging through spares I put aside some twin 4-inch mounts for her. The reason I'm not doing her just yet is she is a probable candidate for a Mediterranean or Arctic GB, she served in both theatres AFAIK, the ill-fated PQ17 convoy and of course Pedestal. So, to quote Oddball in Kelly's Heroes - "Have a little faith, brother, have a little faith. Think positive waves and she'll be there." (Eventually). 😁

Thank you all again for your interest. Regards to all, Jeff.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

I thought I'd have a go at another total scratch build of a ship I've not seen a kit of, particularly in 1/600. The German K class light cruiser DKM Karlsruhe. With scratch builds I'm working my way up in size and want to alternate between scratch builds and kits from the stash. I hope to start soon but I think the bench needs a bit of a clean up first. And don't worry, HMS Ledbury is not forgotten. Just the other day while rummaging through spares I put aside some twin 4-inch mounts for her. The reason I'm not doing her just yet is she is a probable candidate for a Mediterranean or Arctic GB, she served in both theatres AFAIK, the ill-fated PQ17 convoy and of course Pedestal. So, to quote Oddball in Kelly's Heroes - "Have a little faith, brother, have a little faith. Think positive waves and she'll be there." (Eventually). 😁

Thank you all again for your interest. Regards to all, Jeff.

Yes indeed. You've read Roger Hill's memoirs I guess? Wasn't there an airfix magazine article back in the 70s about that Hotspur to Hunt conversion? In fact you probably told me about it, honestly I can barely remember what I did yesterday. 

Nice choice. Your scratch builds are always fun to follow, so looking forward to the Karlsruhe. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Thank you very much guys. And @Vlad, come to think of it, the only Sheffield models I can recall of late are Airfix Belfast conversions. Not saying there aren't some out there  .   .   .

There is a 1/700 kit by l'Arsenal done in mixed medium 3D printed resin and photo etch. I'm working on one now and it's beautifully detailed but a pain to build.

22 minutes ago, Ngantek said:

You've read Roger Hill's memoirs I guess? Wasn't there an airfix magazine article back in the 70s about that Hotspur to Hunt conversion?

Actually no, but I imagine it would be a good read. I've read D.A. Rayner's, and one by a German U-boat commander, 'Iron Coffins' by Herbert Werner but not Roger Hill's. Maybe the library can get it in for me.

There probably would be an article about the Hotspur conversion, the range of similar articles is quite extensive.

18 minutes ago, Vlad said:

There is a 1/700 kit by l'Arsenal done in mixed medium 3D printed resin and photo etch.

Thanks Vlad. I'm glad someone has done the ship. I quite like doing conversions of Airfix kits but I guess it's not for everyone.

Regards, Jeff.

Very nice. I've thought about doing HMS Sheffield in her late 1950s fit - must try and get a look at my father's photos as he was on her for the long 1957-58 (?) commission. Boring colour scheme though!

Cheers,

GrahamB

• Thanks 1

On 2/27/2024 at 4:26 AM, Circloy said:

reputedly with the most WW2 battle honours of any RN ship.

I didn't know that, so thank you.

And thank you everyone for your interest, your responses and kind comments. Much appreciated. Regards, Jeff.

Nicely done and kudos on getting that camo done. Very intricate painting. You can get a lot out of those old Airfix ship kits with a little work. Here's one I did. The Airfix HMS Ajax became the HMS Ulysses. Unlike you, I didn't have to worry too much about being accurate as it's a fictitious ship. 

DSCN3962

• Like 2

Gidday @gamevender, I think I've seen this model before, she's very nicely done. I find that dazzle camo schemes lengthen a build time but they look good when done, and liven up the display cabinet. Unlike you though I haven't tried a sea-base or done PE guard-rails, ladders or radar. They certainly enhance a model, well done.

Yes, the old Ajax kit lends itself to a number of conversions, I've done one OOB, two conversions and used the hulls for another two, the majority of which were scratch built. I think the kit is being re-released later this year.

Thanks again for your interest. Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1