Hunting Grebe – Aeroclub 1/72

Another interwar gem completed. This time it is the venerable Aero72 kit of Gloster Grebe J7361 in the early version of No. 32 Squadron’s blue marking, before the blue bar was extended aft of the roundel, therefore sometime between June 1925 and March 15th 1926, when the airplane collided in a haze with a Bristol Fighter. The Grebe was repaired, returned to the squadron and later was transferred to No. 25 Squadron, where it ended its (rather short) service in February 1928. The available photography allows the interpretation that both fins and the propeller hub cover were painted blue and the wheel covers red, and this is what I did, because at least to me it looks pretty attractive.

Built more or less OOB plus some scratchbuilding. Seat belts by Eduard, guns by Mini World and GasPatch, gun sight by Tally Ho! and wheels by Tony @TeeELL. Build tread is here:

Brush painted with my usual mix of enamels by Humbrol, Revell and Tamiya. Decals from the kit, which, except the rudder serials, worked just fine even after some 30 years in storage.

As usual with me, no rigging.

20240218-DSC-0014.jpg

20240218-DSC-0013.jpg

20240218-DSC-0012.jpg

20240218-DSC-0011.jpg

20240218-DSC-0010.jpg

20240218-DSC-0009.jpg

• Like 32
  • Thanks 2

Beautifully neat and precise work Patrik, as always!
I particularly like the way you dealt with the propeller, painting the sheath, detailing the hub, the splash of colour there, lovely!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Patrik said:

Another interwar gem completed. This time it is the venerable Aero72 kit of Gloster Grebe J7361 in the early version of No. 32 Squadron’s blue marking, before the blue bar was extended aft of the roundel, therefore sometime between June 1925 and March 15th 1926, when the airplane collided in a haze with a Bristol Fighter. The Grebe was repaired, returned to the squadron and later was transferred to No. 25 Squadron, where it ended its (rather short) service in February 1928. The available photography allows the interpretation that both fins and the propeller hub cover were painted blue and the wheel covers red, and this is what I did, because at least to me it looks pretty attractive.

Built more or less OOB plus some scratchbuilding. Seat belts by Eduard, guns by Mini World and GasPatch, gun sight by Tally Ho! and wheels by Tony @TeeELL. Build tread is here:

Brush painted with my usual mix of enamels by Humbrol, Revell and Tamiya. Decals from the kit, which, except the rudder serials, worked just fine even after some 30 years in storage.

As usual with me, no rigging.

20240218-DSC-0014.jpg

20240218-DSC-0013.jpg

20240218-DSC-0012.jpg

20240218-DSC-0011.jpg

20240218-DSC-0010.jpg

20240218-DSC-0009.jpg

I really liked yours "as usual with me, no rigging" !

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SouthViper said:

I really liked yours "as usual with me, no rigging" !

I admit it is a bit on the heretic side, and I always feel a bit like Galileo, when I write it ("And yet it moves"). Though apparently he never said it (loud).😉

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

What a little gem Patrik, a stunning build. I’ll use it as inspiration for a 1/32 Grebe that I’ll be doing later this year. 56 Squadron (of course):

jTMij6.jpg

• Thanks 1

To rig, or not to rig, a question that bothers me every now and then, especially when I look at the unbuilt Airfix HP 0/400 in my collection.

All I can say about this model is Beautiful, Beautiful.

Thank you

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, galgos said:

What a little gem Patrik, a stunning build. I’ll use it as inspiration for a 1/32 Grebe that I’ll be doing later this year. 56 Squadron (of course):

56 Squadron is an excellent choice. Have you considered the earlier variant of the marking as well? So far, I have been able to locate two photos, J7414 and Grebe trainer J7535. The photo of J7414 is rather small, but you are well known for unearthing surprising pictures, so you may have more luck here.

20240310-56-Sqn.jpg

Edited by Patrik
  • Like 1

Thanks for that Patrik, an interesting option. But I’ll tell you what…. I design and cut all my own masks and accurately applying regular square chequers is difficult enough, I can’t imagine doing tapering chequers! So I’ll stick with the later 56 Squadron scheme thank you! 😀