1/24 Volkswagen Beetle limousine

After my last build took 2 years on and off, the heavily modified Airfix Wallace and Grommit motorbike and sidecar.

20231106_202910

I decided I needed to detox by building a kit in a day... 

20240121_211835~2

The Airfix Mary Rose, which I did indeed finish in one day.

After riding the high of actually finishing a complete kit in such little time, I felt my mojo has been somewhat restored for now and have embarked on my second kit in as many weeks. 

20240128_114017

This was a gift from my wife on my latest birthday, she bought me this because I wouldn't let her have a real one to learn in, so have been tasked to build it to her specification.

IMG-20240128-WA0002

Hopefully this will take less than 2 years to build, so I am not going mad with the details to help with a fairly speedy completion.

Cheers,

Andy.

• Like 11

Nice job on the previous Models the Mary Rose certainly looks fantastic.

This Revell Beetle builds up well , Nice start, looks good I yellow.  Years ago my mate sprayed his 1:1 scale Beetle in a very bright yellow and every time he stopped anywhere,  the insects landed on it , used to be covered in flies.

I was glad I painted mine blue!!!

Looking forward to seeing this progress.

Chris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Noel Smith said:

Nice beetle build taking shape here.

Revell calling it a limousine is 'stretching' it a bit!

Not really, just a difference in terminology. My understanding was that in German a limousine was what we would call a saloon (hence why there is a Trabant limousine model too😄) - it's not referring to it as we would consider a limousine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dbostream said:

Yellow is my favorite color so it is impossible to not like this. What paint did you use? Looking forward to the rest.

The colour Rover Inca yellow over red plastic primer, all halfords, they just spray great, also no fluff or hair in this paint job, a first for me 🤣

3 hours ago, Noel Smith said:

Revell calling it a limousine is 'stretching' it a bit!

Good one 😁

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Noel Smith said:

That's interesting.. I wonder what the Germans call what we would term a limousine here in the UK?

According to Google translate its Stretchlimousine 🤷‍♂️

Love the Wallace and Gromit model!!! :worthy:

I came here thinking this was one of those custom stretch builds. I had the previous gen Beetle in uni. It was the perfect student car--cheap to run and fix. :popcorn:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Love the Wallace and Gromit model!!! :worthy:

Cheers 🍻 

Update #1

The dash, a strange place to start I know, but it was already yellow so was a quick job... er, no! First attempt failed when I put a wash in the recessed areas and the yellow paint pickled, must have not fully cured, stripped the paint, now back to this.

20240130_195828~2

Just needs a bit of UV resin for the glass. The wrong speedo, as the MPH one wouldn't sit right in the recess and was ruined by over handling, annoyingly the radio decal is smaller than the moulded detail... why? 

Cheers 🍻 

Edited by ElectricLightAndy
  • Like 5

Aye, that's the problem with decals and raised detail. They're seemingly done by 2 different people with the common aim of annoying the other.

Hm, I recall a fuel gauge inboard of the speedo/odo. Yet Messrs Google do show some with only a speedo/odo.. Learn something new every day!

• Like 1

I seem to recall that fuel gauges were only fitted from a certain point onwards.  I'd have to research it to find out precisely when they became standard issue.

EDIT:  Got it - 1962.

• Like 2

This is a 1968 UK car.

armFW17p3B5tRpfEOTfdzDFE7nhNngmAOPFTAdoH

The layout is the same... but the dash top is different to the kit, I think there were probably many different dashes over the years with subtle changes.

The kit is actually pretty faithfull overall, I'm quite impressed.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Neddy said:

I seem to recall that fuel gauges were only fitted from a certain point onwards. 

EDIT:  Got it - 1962.

That must have made every drive a time of excitement....!! 🤣

Keith

• Haha 2

Not half!  There was a small reserve arrangement similar to that in my old Heinkel bubblecar - basically the engine just stopped and you reached behind you, turned a tap and the reserve part of the fuel tank opened up, the engine restarted and away you went in search of a fuel station. :mental:

• Like 1

Update #2

As I mentioned earlier, I'm not going mad with detailing with this one, just a clean ootb build, or I'll never finish it.

I have blacked up loads of bits with Tamiya LP-60 and assembled most of the chassis and engine.

20240204_184637

And said engine.

20240204_184721

As we all know, macro is an unforgiving mistress, but I assure you to the naked eyeball it is quite nice, just the distributor to fit that's still drying as i only had enamel in a close enough hue  Humbrol Matt 60. I may add some HT leads that head nowhere 😉 silvers are Tamiya LP-20, Vallejo metal color Aluminio and a pilot chrome pen, given a light burnt umber oil wash, blacks are as above and also revell aqua matt black.

20240204_184802

Cheers.

• Like 8

Nice. How did you make the black insulators on the end of the HT leads?

Interested to see Revell provide you wish a right hand drive option, as Tamiya didn't bother in their '66 kit so I had to convert mine. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anteater said:

Nice. How did you make the black insulators on the end of the HT leads?

Those are cut from leftover Tamiya PVC(?) Tube, the red is some jewellery flexible rubber stuff.