1/24 Revell Mustang GT350 H

45 years on, is that surprising?  Your Fiesta is also turbocharged.  The big US V8s were not designed for high power per litre but good solid dependable running.  Even as a racing engine they were matched  and often beaten by Ferraris with half the engine size.  Some good racing though.

Evening all, how was your weekend? Mine was exhausting... Hey! Hey!  

Let's recap. Standard Mustang live axle and standard exhaust. Can you spot why this won't work anymore? (Gosh that's a rough build isn't it. I didn't even bother to sand the Revell print off the chassis. I have learned much since then).  

spacer.png

Correct, there's no room above the Jag IRS to route pipes through. Easy, thought I, just shorten the pipes, cut and shut to let the silencers in and point the tailpipes out the sides. Bish bash bosh. 

spacer.png

Nice and neat and clever. Let's just check the stance again, and... oh. Now I don't know about you but that just looks wrong. No curbs, speedbumps or pot holes with ground clearance like that. 

spacer.png

Prototype number 2. I've ditched the standard silencers because they're too large in every dimension, and replaced them with some large diameter tubing I had knocking about. Everything after the new silencers is made from sprue. I suspect this would be an excessively loud system in real life but this is all about how it looks, and I reckon it's loads better. Just wants a little trim of the length on the right hand side as seen here. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Shame they hide my nice radius arms but hey-ho.  

LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Toftdale said:

Great work,  I might even have to apologise for my dismissal of your corning abilities - Andy

My what abilities...? Thanks, I think... 🙂

Exhaust is fitted, complete with "hangers". 

spacer.png

One thing has been bothering me. The rear wheel on the passenger side sits about 1mm further out than the drivers' side and I've not been happy about it. It's barely noticeable but I've become fixated on it. 

I gapped the exhaust correctly against the body so the problem appeared to be a lack of symmetry within the back axle. In a rare moment of uncleverness, I even partially detached the wheel to reset it. Of course, there is an easier solution; I'll just shim the body a fraction on that side and nobody will ever know! 

• Like 6

Gosh, it's been a busy weekend. Firstly a very well received address to the ARDIC, which is the association for all technical staff leaders of Cities and Municipalities of southern Belgium, then a frankly awkward lunch with a tired and emotional Princess Stephanie of Monaco, followed by the latest in what is proving to be a very difficult casting call for my planned glove-puppet based stage show revival of 1978-1979 British detective drama Hazell, as co-written by the late Terry Venables. 

But in between all of that, this...

The Shelby bonnet with functional air scoop. Those poorly detailed bonnet pins have now gone in readiness for PE. 

spacer.png

The body has received a coat of Fine Surface Primer. I like the air scoops on the side, for cooling of the rear brakes apparently. I made sure to paint the insides black before sticking them on as it'd be tricky to blow paint inside. 

spacer.png

And here is an assemblage of parts in my high tech spray booth facility. The colour of the bonnet should give you an idea where I'm going. I'm just seeing what the interior may look like in primer red because I have a thing for red interiors on American cars. The GT350H came with an interior the colour of a coal bunker, but it seems a shame to lose the detail. I'm open to suggestions, as long as they align with mine. 

spacer.png

ANTEATER

• Like 6

Maybe the Monaco Royalty will take pity on your "spray booth " and offer you the use of a one bed flat worth billions that has a tiny view of part of the Grand Prix circuit . Now THAT would be a spray booth !

Gary.

It's not been a good week for painting, damp and foggy. Still, I managed to get a few coats of Simoniz Satin Black on the shell. This car is going to be weathered so I'm not looking for a mirror-like shine. 

It goes on a bit bloomy but cuts back quite well. See before and after: 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Suddenly looking a lot more moody. Don't worry about the high spots where I've burned through, easily fixed, However, it wasn't until the paint went on that I noticed the seam on each side by the side windows. A localised sand, prime and repaint needed there. 

spacer.png

• Like 5

When I was in Monaco, I didn't see any royalty - almost as if they neither knew nor cared I was there.  Re the interior, you've already put an IRS under in, so why not go red?

Yeah, Monaco, they can keep it. Nowhere to park a van and you can't get a decent pint. 

The red interior is a dead cert now, as will be gold Shelby stripes. I've got plans for a few little extras too.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Back on with the Mustang. I've resolved the erroneous seam by sanding and repainting but that doesn't really lend itself to photos.

I'm not very good at large decals so part of the appeal of building this Mustang is to practice with the broad stripes that run over the car. I'll call this a passable result. I'll be peppering it with matt top coat which will either make it look worse or better. After that I mocked it back up with the red interior tub, a welcome flash of colour. 

spacer.png 

spacer.png

• Like 10

That's a very passable result 👏.  Getting the decals to conform to the vent without tears or air bubbles is a big job in itself ! 

Gary .

• Like 1

I had a bit more time this week so made a start on the interior tub. I like red interiors in old American motors (blame Joel Meyerowitz) and I don't really care if the 350GT-H only came with black trim. Sticky felt for carpets, but I only have black so overpainted them with the same shade, Halfords Red Plastic Primer. 

spacer.png

The fastback has a folding rear seat and I'm not 100% sure I've got the carpeting correct back there, but it looks better than not having it. I did originally paint the dash top black but it looked wrong so I've fully committed to the red. 

spacer.png

Note (or maybe don't note) the large chrome strips that run up the outer edges of the front seats. Drop the seats in and they're hardly visible above the door line. 

spacer.png

The instructions would have me add arm rests to the door trims but I don't like them. I'm more fussed that Revell didn't bother with the distinctive chromed door releases or window winders so I'll have to make those. It'll help break up the red, or pink, or whatever shade the camera thinks it is this time. 

• Like 6

Overpainting the sticky felt is surprisingly effective, it looks really good.

Yeah, I figured out a while ago that although you can buy sticky felt in many colours, I only need black because any colour can be misted on. You won't get a bright shade but it gives better scale colour which should complement seats and door cards in the same pallette. 

• Like 1

Good job with the decalling, that one over the bonnet scoop is probably the second hardest on the whole kit (the one on the rear valance which sits behind the number plate I found the hardest). So now you've got that one sorted the rest of the stripes should be fine.

Incidentally, I found that the decals on this kit are very receptive to Microsol. Once you get them in the right position, just keep applying the Microsol and, provided there's no air bubbles (which was the problem with the rear valance) they will eventually setting quite nicely.

Interior is looking good. The door panels are a bit soft aren't they. I replaced the door handles and window winders with some resin items I bought a few years ago.

I noticed the bag of handles is getting thin now, would be great if one of the 3D parts producers did a selection of interior handles.

The chrome paint pens are handy for highlighting the chrome strips on the doors. Helps to break up the soft detail too.

Atb, Steve.

This seller does some resin door handles and window winders. I've never bought any so don't know if they're any good, but at least they're a UK seller so postage should be sensible. 

https://spinneyworld.com/collections/modelling?sort_by=best-selling&filter.p.m.custom.model_scale=1%3A24&filter.v.price.gte=&filter.v.price.lte=

As it turns out, after applying more light to the subject I realised Revell had in fact moulded the handles, just very lightly and largely concealed by my red primer. A bit of silver paint has picked them out. 

Here's the interior put together, complete with some aftermarket lap belts which I thought should be the minimum for a sporting car of the mid-60s. I like painting wood effect so it's got the Shelby wood-rimmed wheel. Such wheels are nice to look at but horrible to use, it'd be the first thing I'd change if it were real. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

I got some shots on the window sill this afternoon, not ideal light but about the brightest it's been for weeks! Just look at that purple carpet, mmmm... furry...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1