1/72 Frog He-219 Uhu - DONE

I must have left the top off the glue...a second GB entry. :facepalm:

53451463075_e563a0e1a2_b.jpgFrog_He_219_Uhu_Box_art by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

I think I bought this from a second hand kit trader at Flying Legends in Duxford one Summer. Originally freed from the attic for the Interceptors GB here in 2020, I never got beyond some priming some of the parts..

53451050951_768decf618_b.jpgFrog_He_219_Uhu_contents_1 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

And adding some plastic card bits to the cockpit..

53451170888_973c6cb4ab_b.jpgFrog_He_219_Uhu_cockpit_1 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Here's the rest of it.

53451050956_a55b7a099d_b.jpgFrog_He_219_Uhu_contents_2 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Let's see how this goes!
Thanks for looking  good luck with your builds.

Cheers,

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
Completed!
  • Like 19

Nice one, Dermot. That box art. I must have bought two or three of these back when I was younger just for that. I have one on the manshed wall now!

Besides, what a great looking Aircraft. I've also used a couple of fuselage halves in my Sci fi builds in recent years. 

Back in the day, who thought of adding detail inside? so well done you.

• Thanks 1

Thanks all and a bit more done on this one.

Added a basic panel set up for the rear-seater - this will also help hide some of the weight.

53472251652_5a1dca56ee_b.jpgFrog_He_219_Uhu_Wip_1 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

And a panel to hide the void in front of the pilot. I've also made the kit seats a bit taller and added belts from foil.

53472251657_1a2c268492_b.jpgFrog_He_219_Uhu_Wip_2 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Speaking of weight, I'm going with 40g which hopefully will do the trick. 😬

53474021715_bcb50265a9_b.jpgFrog_He_219_Uhu_Wip_3 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Some is behind the rear cockpit panel and a void underneath that, some in the wheel well in front of the gear while the rest will go in the front of the engine nacelles. Just fishing weights secured with white glue.

53472697687_cd486e6901_b.jpgFrog_He_219_Uhu_Wip_4 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Thanks for looking!

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 17

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone and a bit more done while my other GB build is stalled in endless cycle of filling and sanding. A quick weight test - there's 20g in the front of each engine nacelle and another 10g in the cockpit area.

53500010121_3856bfae2a_b.jpg

Looks ok but once I added the rear tailplanes/rudders, she sat back. More weight needed then! While I was waiting on that, turned attention to the one-piece canopy which has a nasty sprue gate on the right-hand side. Will see how that polishes up.

53499123712_3866d15fa4_b.jpg

Cheers,

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
Fixing photo links
  • Like 11
  • Sad 1

They didn't think of us the plastic modellers when they designed and built these tricycyle landing gear thingys :wink:. A late welcome by me too, and thank you for choosing the WW2 Twins GB over the 🐸 one :giggle:. V-P

• Haha 1

Modellers in those days used balsa and tissue paper, so no problems with nosewheels.  A few lumps of white metal and you're all set.  The problem with the introduction of plastic was with the the walls being thick for strength and stiffness, so too heavy - technology doesn't always move in desired directions.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some great touches going on here Dermo,I was tempted with this kit for the Frog GB but went for the Me110 instead but this has definitely persuaded me to go to town on it's cockpit.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Some great touches going on here Dermo,I was tempted with this kit for the Frog GB but went for the Me110 instead but this has definitely persuaded me to go to town on it's cockpit.

Ah thanks and just to take the plain look off it...and hide some weights! Look forward to your work.

21 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Very nice work Dermot, that cockpit looks superb.

Thank you and surprised how it turned out!

12 hours ago, Wings unlevel said:

Looks terrific - nicely cleaned up.

Much appreciated and tidy for such an old kit.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

So time to get this one moving as well. Needed some putty for those wing joints.

53600622913_e74cff69d5_b.jpgFrog_He_219_Uhu_Wip_9 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Then went with a coat of Flat Black underneath, mostly to hide the awful fit! Masked up to spray the top colour of RLM 76 - this was a home mix of:

XF-2 Flat White – 7 parts
XF-23 Light Blue – 1 part
XF-66 Light Grey – 2 parts

53600749674_5688437d2d_b.jpgFrog_He_219_Uhu_Wip_10 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

The port engine still had a nasty seam so that's been rubbed back and was repainted. Once that was done, a coat of RLM 75 which was made up of 5 parts XF-24 Dark Grey and 1 part XF-50 Field Blue. I used a mottle mask for the first time and definitely need some practice. I'll probably go back in with the RLM 75 to give it some sharper definition as it's a bit messy in places.

53599539607_1e2766ca9b_b.jpgFrog_He_219_Uhu_Wip_11 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

And then with the lower masking removed. Some touch-ups needed here and there but mostly happy how it's looking so far. 

53600410526_cd54fe1cae_b.jpgFrog_He_219_Uhu_Wip_12 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Thanks for looking!
Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 9