Right Said Fred - A Captured Bf109F, Yellow 2. +++++FINISHED+++++

mark.au

I'm becoming a little obsessed with the captured theme...   The thing is, Luftwaffe aircraft are such an interesting paint challenge and when you couple that with the captured markings and sometimes interesting stories of how the capture occurred, it's a very compelling subject.

After a sojourn into jets it's back to a single engine prop, the Bf109F. 

This much I have decided. 

However, the specific airframe is still up for grabs.  I've narrowed down my choice to one of these three:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

#1 offers good references and clear markings choices.  However, there's a decal set for this one already, so it's a reasonably common subject. 

#2 is less commonly made and I have found three pics of it.  I think I have info enough to replicate it and it's got some visual interest in the retention of some German tactical markings. 

#3 is my current favourite though; look at the weathering opportunities in addition to the markings!  It's even got some new stencilling - "No Step" on the port flap...  Unfortunately, this is the only photo I can find of it so there's going to be some licence necessary on its markings.

#4 is a close second to #3 with the same attractions and challenges.

What say you on the choice?

I'm going to use the Eduard 1/48 kit for this one.  I have only built two Eduard kits, a Mk.IX Spitfire and a Hellcat.  I enjoyed the Hellcat but found the Spitfire tedious in its over-engineered-ness.  Looking at the sprues for the 109, it's rather more like the Spitfire in its engineering than the Hellcat.  For anyone interested, the kit is reviewed here (though my version is the ProfiPack.) -

So, there's the intro, I will throw up some pics of my progress when I've something to show.  

Cheers.

Edited by mark.au
  • Like 12

Ooooooo that's tough, like 3 and 4, the areas under the wing roundels on 3 along with the weathering and chipping on that wing route, nice. 4 for the desert scheme and weathering opportunities.

Good luck with your build, are you doing a Captured Stuka and HE111 too

Chris

• Like 5

A captured desert scheme is appealing, something you don’t see as often. And I’d put in another vote for the squiggle.

In my wishlist of 3 Sqn projects I’d like to do HK849 sometime, although it’s not as visually interesting as your choices.

• Like 3

My vote would be for #3 by a whisker: lots of weathering, the "NO STEP" in English, clear markings and just-discernible splinter pattern on the upper surfaces. #4 looks like the photo has been re-touched to create the roundel - even though it appears genuine (and the shadow of the officer's cap over the ex-swastika seems to prove it) it doesn't look it to me!

On 06/12/2023 at 05:09, mark.au said:

found the Spitfire tedious in its over-engineered-ness

So's the Mk.I :yawn:

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 4

3 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

My vote would be for #3 by a whisker: lots of weathering, the "NO STEP" in English, clear markings and just-discernible splinter pattern on the upper surfaces. #4 looks like the photo has been re-touched to create the roundel - even though it appears genuine (and the shadow of the officer's cap over the ex-swastika seems to prove it) it doesn't look it to me!

I'm with 2996 Victor, mainly clinched due to the 'no step' in English for some reason. I'll follow your build whatever scheme wins - any of these will be good.

• Like 2

Thanks for the comments and votes!  A lot of love for #2 and I have some nice photos of that one.  I'm erring towards #4 at the moment but haven't made the decision yet.

On 06/12/2023 at 19:10, bigbadbadge said:

are you doing a Captured Stuka and HE111 too

Not sure about the 111 but the Stuka, yes.  I have a couple of Ju88's in mind, a night fighter 110 as well as one or two Fw190's.  There's a Ju52 on the cards, too.  So many models...

On 08/12/2023 at 03:34, AdrianMF said:

Build 'em all ;) - thanks to @Enzo the Magnificent for that one.

...which seems like a great plan! 🙂

On 06/12/2023 at 20:29, Karearea said:

In my wishlist of 3 Sqn projects I’d like to do HK849 sometime, although it’s not as visually interesting as your choices.

I considered this one but the camo isn't the original Luftwaffe and that's really the focus.

I have been busy.  The cockpit gets the usual treatment.  Some of this is incredibly fiddly (for me) but I have to admit that while not particularly enjoyable, the little details in the PE and small bits and pieces do make for a good result.  

spacer.png

After the base paint and some basic paint details, it's on with the goop wash, the dry brush, a little silver pencil and the finish coat....

spacer.png

Then, the seatbelts, one of my least favourite tasks, especially with PE.  But I got there in the end.  Problem is, I forgot to take pics before beginning to install it...

spacer.png

I had to notch the cockpit side sills at the front to fit the PE instrument panel in.  This is likely to be my fault, but I don't know where I got the alignment wrong which necessitated that adjustment. 

I worked my way around closing the fuselage, being careful to line everything up as well as I could.  There are some interesting engineering choices which meant I also had to pay close attention to the instructions lest I forget something like the exhausts, gun troughs, tail wheel, forward bulkhead, etc., all of which have to be installed before closing up the fuselage.  As a kit, I'm not loving it but I'm not hating it either.  I didn't find assembling the wheel wells as tedious as I remember it being for the Spitfire, so there is that.  I am enjoying the quality of finish and detail in the mouldings, and the general fit is very good.  I suppose on balance I am enjoying it.

spacer.png

Before long I had an airplane-shaped piece of plastic on the bench.  At this point the wings and tail aren't glued, they are there to check fit.  

I reckon the weekend will see some paint tat this rate, which means I'd better make up my mind on the markings soon.

Cheers.

Edited by mark.au
  • Like 17

The cockpit looks superb.

I haven’t built an Eduard 1/48 ‘109 yet, but have completed a couple of their Spitfires and find the cockpits very fiddly especially when you have fingers that don’t always do as they’re told.

John

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Fair rattling along with this but it does look rather good.

9 hours ago, mark.au said:

There are some interesting engineering choices

Aye that would be an Eduard kit.

It all works out nicely in the end.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

On 08/12/2023 at 21:21, AdrianMF said:

There are accurate kits, detailed kits, and kits that are fun to build. Those circles don't always overlap!

True 'dat.

On 08/12/2023 at 21:31, Biggles87 said:

especially when you have fingers that don’t always do as they’re told.

I've got a set of those.

On 08/12/2023 at 21:43, 2996 Victor said:

What do Eduard do about the wheel well linings? 

The linings are separate parts from the wings - in this case there were four parts for each wheel well which were assembles together and then glued to the ing.  It's clear as to why it was engineered that way because it allowed for some sidewall detail to be moulding which otherwise wouldn't have been possible.  

On 09/12/2023 at 09:51, bigbadbadge said:

Nice job on the cockpit Mark, and great to see the wings and fuselage go together .

Chris

Everything is glued now, see below...

On 09/12/2023 at 08:37, Doccur said:

Look forward to seeing which markings you decide on. 

Welcome to Yellow 2.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I was sorely tempted by 12 but in the end I settled for Yellow 2 because I had the best pics of it and the markings are clear.  The squiggle will be an interesting challenge to paint.

My model has progressed well over the weekend.  I finished the major assembly with only a little filler required.

spacer.png

Ultimately, I'm quite impressed with this kit.  The fit is extremely good and the need for filler was of my own making.  The surface detail is going to look very nice under the paint and finish treatments and the overall attention to detail in the kit is very good.  I'll do more (actually, the majority of my stash is Eduard kits that I've been putting off because of my prejudice against them).

spacer.png

I painted up all the RLM02 bits and pieces having first black based.  With that done, I sealed all that and set to on some pre-shading.

spacer.png

I am going to paint this one freehand.  My main concern with that is the demarcation on the fuselage is very straight and I'm not sure I can get it that straight freehand.  So I came up with a cunning plan.  Not as cunning as a fox who has just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University, but cunning nonetheless.

spacer.png

This 2mm tape will remain place until both upper and lower colour is applied.  Then, I'll simply remove it and fill in the gap freehand.

So, why not put some blue paint in the airbrush and make a start?

spacer.png

The light has washed out the pre-shade a little in this pic but I'm happy enough to have sealed it and leave it to rest before the RLM79 uppers.  Not pictured is the flaps, elevators and ailerons also painted with their RLM78.

That's the state of play at the close of the weekend.  Hope you all had/are having a good one.  Cheers.

Edited by mark.au
  • Like 17

• mark.au changed the title to Right Said Fred - A Captured Bf109F, Yellow 2
11 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Just wondering if under the nose is going to be yellow?

Good point.  It looks to me that in both pic #3 and #4 there's a different shade paint under the nose compared to the light blue sides which would strongly suggest it was yellow.

4 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

You need a couple of yellow “O”s outlined in black to cut up into three semi-circles. Shouldn’t be too difficult to find.  :wink:

I'm going to paint it!  It shouldn't be too difficult to create the shape in the Silhouette software and then it's just a little tricky with the thin outline.  Same with the "2" I suppose.

Cheers.

• Like 5